Gransnet forums

News & politics

Only one week to go!

(83 Posts)
rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 10:44:14

Only one week to go ( thank God) to the GE.Quite a while back we booked a holiday not knowing a GE would be looming and now DH is very put out as this will only allow a fast time scale for us to rush and vote that day before we go( but vote we shall.) Then we can have our holiday and forget about it all.
What we do quite often when going on holiday, is invite friends to stay in our home, and they do the same for us, so we all get free holidays in a different area,
We water plants and take care of pets.Does anyone else do this?
Also, does anyone stay up all night to look at GE results as they come in? I never do, ( like my sleep too much) but DH always does, he likes the excitement.This year he says he will have a glass of something fortifying to hand though.grin

Craftycat Thu 01-Jun-17 11:24:02

As I am off to Liverpool next week for WI Annual Conference I have voted by post for the first time.
Oh the relief of not having to listen to any more waffle! It's done & dusted & no-one can now change my mind(as if anyone COULD ever make me change my mind on anything to be fair but some do try!! DH gave up years ago)

dumdum Thu 01-Jun-17 11:38:17

Yep, away, done postal votes. Fab.

Rosina Thu 01-Jun-17 11:40:01

I have switched off every time the GE is on the news; I really can't take any more of listening to the point scoring, insults, petty squabbles, and downright spiteful comments from both sides - all sides! If DH wants to watch I go off elsewhere - it's just unbearable and the sooner it is over the better.

Jane10 Thu 01-Jun-17 11:41:45

Will vote on the day and wake up early to find out if the electorate have scored a massive own brexit goal by weakening the government who actually have to do all the complex negotiations with Europe.
Off to shake the magic money tree!

Caro1954 Thu 01-Jun-17 11:48:46

I'll listen to the radio all night (unless I fall asleep!). I really want to know how it will go here in Scotland and can't bear the wait.

ninny Thu 01-Jun-17 11:48:48

If I wake up in the middle of the night I will turn TV on.
I'm surprised GNs not done an Election Poll this time like they did last time when despite if you read the posts Remaining was a certainty, GNs voted Leave.

Hm999 Thu 01-Jun-17 11:49:01

For the generation most likely to vote, we don't seem very enamoured. Do we not worry about education of our grandchildren, the NHS, state pensions?

Jane10 Thu 01-Jun-17 12:03:28

Of course we do...and understand the relationship between the economy and funding of services, infrastructure and benefits.

Ana Thu 01-Jun-17 12:07:57

ninny they did do a poll shortly after the GE was announced and no doubt will reveal the results after polling day.

The poll for the previous GE was remarkably accurate.

Ana Thu 01-Jun-17 12:08:25

(unlike the exit polls!)

radicalnan Thu 01-Jun-17 12:55:44

I am bored to tears with the lot of them, first candidate to tell a good joke would get my vote, none of them know anything useful, or are useful, or sincere, or well informed. We have to get something different in place for the next time ro und this prolonged slanging match isn't good for us and the old two party system is dead.

I shall cast a vote in this unlucky dip but will have to hold my nose to do so, what a bunch or missfits we have to choose from.

Doreen5 Thu 01-Jun-17 13:36:36

Already voted, by post, as will be away.

rosesarered Thu 01-Jun-17 13:39:10

I wonder how many people vote by post?

henbane Thu 01-Jun-17 14:33:10

It's a lot easier than it used to be - for some years I used to work away from home mid week and had to re-apply for a postal vote for every election.

Roll on internet voting I say - then you really can make your mind up at the last minute, even if you're away!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 01-Jun-17 14:44:20

Postal votes
They usually arrive two to three weeks in advance so unless you will be away on a world cruise this is the easiest way to make sure you give your chosen party your undying support.

ninny Thu 01-Jun-17 14:46:16

Ana would love to see result now wouldn't you.

yggdrasil Thu 01-Jun-17 15:45:57

I wouldn't like internet voting, too easy to be hacked.
I think there should be a mental test for older people, to show they have some idea of what it is all about.
My mother is 98, and has voted by post, even though she is past understanding any reason why she shouldn't vote like she did when she was 50.
My 15 year old grandson is really annoyed, he has been following the policies, and knows how his life has been f****d over by old people, but he doesn't have a say!

Ana Thu 01-Jun-17 15:48:33

Which 'old people' would those be, yggdrasil?

varian Thu 01-Jun-17 15:53:39

I don't see how you could have a mental test for older people without testing everyone else. I can think of lots of people who ought to be disenfranchised because they haven't a clue about politics or even the slightest interest but I can't think of any fair and democratic way of doing it.

The vox pops on tv show a frightening degree of ignorance, prejudice and misinformation, and I'm sure that's just as true in other countries.

Iam64 Thu 01-Jun-17 15:57:51

Blimey Yggdrasil, maybe you'll be suggesting an IQ test to ensure the voter has enough nouse to understand the issues.

That's the thing with democracy, we all get a vote. Didn't most of us feel like your 15 year old grandson at that age. I am so grateful my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles who were involved in one or both world wars showed patience when I said similar untruths. It helped me develop a better understanding of lives travails.

yggdrasil Thu 01-Jun-17 16:58:26

Those with dementia, I guess. Which doesn't actually include my mother. No I wasn't that serious but it does seem hard that you have to be checked every year after 70 for driving, but can vote even if totally out of it.

nigglynellie Thu 01-Jun-17 16:58:43

My granddaughter is 17, and sees her life stretching out in front of her full of hope and enthusiasm! She certainly doesn't feel that her life has been messed up before its even begun! Thank goodness!

nigglynellie Thu 01-Jun-17 17:06:19

I think an IQ test would have to include other sections of society other than the elderly! What about learning difficulties? Stroke victims? People who reject education? Can't really see that this would be a goer!!!

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Jun-17 18:18:13

Just round them all up and put them in a camp as unfit and of no further use to society yggdrasil

Maggiemaybe Thu 01-Jun-17 18:22:42

Logan's Run, anyone?