Gransnet forums

News & politics

Only one week to go!

(83 Posts)
rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 10:44:14

Only one week to go ( thank God) to the GE.Quite a while back we booked a holiday not knowing a GE would be looming and now DH is very put out as this will only allow a fast time scale for us to rush and vote that day before we go( but vote we shall.) Then we can have our holiday and forget about it all.
What we do quite often when going on holiday, is invite friends to stay in our home, and they do the same for us, so we all get free holidays in a different area,
We water plants and take care of pets.Does anyone else do this?
Also, does anyone stay up all night to look at GE results as they come in? I never do, ( like my sleep too much) but DH always does, he likes the excitement.This year he says he will have a glass of something fortifying to hand though.grin

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Jun-17 18:23:25

grin

lizzypopbottle Thu 01-Jun-17 18:24:07

Why bother with an IQ test? Everyone over 60 should be lined up and shot and only 15 year olds allowed to vote since everyone knows they all have high IQs and perfectly adequate life experience.

Diddy1 Thu 01-Jun-17 22:02:40

Will not be staying up, will be awakened by whatever!

cavaliermum Thu 01-Jun-17 23:11:37

As long as the Best Woman wins , who cares !

sluttygran Fri 02-Jun-17 10:06:48

I have very strongly held political views, which I won't impose on you here, but I am very incensed by my middle aged children who think I ought to be quiet and not get involved in exchanges of opinion.
I'm sure they think grannies should be seen and not heard, but freedom of speech is important.
I might add that I try to debate in a proper manner without slinging insults and accusations, so I'm not sure what they find so upsetting.
Maybe I'm senile! shock

rosesarered Fri 02-Jun-17 11:50:12

caveliermum grin??

rosesarered Fri 02-Jun-17 11:53:05

sluttygran sometimes a mistake to get involved in political discussions with our children I think.They don't want to hear our views unless they co-incide with theirs,
A bit like this forum, but nobody wants a falling out with family.

nigglynellie Fri 02-Jun-17 12:02:25

Like the referendum!! Best sometimes to keep your opinions to yourself! We do firmly tell each other that we are entitled to our particular take on political matters, but although we basically agree, there are aspects that we differ over, so we agree to disagree sooner than fall out!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 02-Jun-17 16:22:44

I try to stay up but am too weary to manage it. There's always so much damn waffle though isn't there?
However, if I need the loo instead of going straight back to bed I'll go to the kitchen and put the radio on with a cup of tea to fortify myself to face whatever has happened.

rosesarered Fri 02-Jun-17 18:06:10

I think that DH will fortify himself with something stronger than tea! But if he is too tired to come away on holiday the next day I will leave him behind.grin

henbane Fri 02-Jun-17 22:00:02

what yggdrasil said!

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 09:46:42

Well, only one day to go now until the voting stations open! The Big Day!
Won't it be lovely when it's all over? And what will happen then?Well, on GN it will be just another day......grin

Anniebach Wed 07-Jun-17 10:04:59

So strange, I realy don't care, well I care for some labour MP's holding their seats and hope this constituency goes back to the Libs , I don't want a Tory government and fear a Corbyn-Momentum government .

MaizieD Wed 07-Jun-17 10:14:47

Someone posted this on mumsnet this morning. It is pretty much how I feel sad

I just want to bypass Friday morning. The thought of waking up with the dreadful feeling in my stomach that I had on the morning of Brexit and Trump, is stopping me sleeping.

mcem Wed 07-Jun-17 10:53:26

I agree with you Maizie and with that quote.

I'm confident my MP will be returned and that
Scotland will return a good majority of SNP
MP's.
However we'll still be overruled by Westminster.

I hope that we achieve a hung parliament and do believe that the anti-Tory parties will be able to co-operate (but not in formal coalition obviously) to mitigate potential Tory damage.

angelab Wed 07-Jun-17 10:56:34

Maisie I agree 100%. I remember only too well what a shock it was hearing the referendum result; after that there was a disspiriting feeling of the inevitable with Trump.

varian Wed 07-Jun-17 11:26:12

Annie if you hope your constituency goes back to the Libs, I hope you'll vote accordingly

daphnedill Wed 07-Jun-17 12:01:08

The latest poll averages are predicting a 65+ overall majority for the Conservatives.

I predict we're going to see some interesting reshuffles over the next few days/weeks.

I guess they'll keep us all bickering discussing.

Anniebach Wed 07-Jun-17 12:27:33

varian, this constituency has been lib since the seventies, then the Tories won here in 2015. I have had a few chats with Kirsty Williams

daphnedill Wed 07-Jun-17 12:38:23

So vote LibDem and do your bit to try and keep the Conservative majority down.

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 14:18:25

I think we may need a rest from the bickering discussing for a while DD
There are other things ( nicer things) to think about.

Anniebach Wed 07-Jun-17 14:27:39

Have just listened to Corbyn addressing a small group of labour supporters in North Wales, he talked of his promise for abolishing university fees and providing free school meals and free music lessons - IN ENGLAND, that will strengthen the Welsh vote , idiot

Welshwife Wed 07-Jun-17 14:47:19

The Welsh students already get some of their fees paid - and that part is devolved to Cardiff bay. It depends how he sets the thing up as I think that at the moment if a Welsh student goes to an English Uni they have to pay full fees - this may put that anomaly right for them

Welshwife Wed 07-Jun-17 14:50:32

We are returning to France tomorrow night - so are voting first thing before making our way to the port for the night crossing - travelling down through France for much of the day and will no doubt lose the Radio4 signal before we get too far - our phones are old fashioned and we do not have G3 or4!!

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 14:51:20

Only if Corbyn gets into power.....and it's looking like a bloody big IF. grin