Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why the reluctance to answer questions and face the real electorate ?

(244 Posts)
James2451 Fri 02-Jun-17 12:14:20

This morning Teresa May had an opportunity to speak on Woman's Hour, just a few days after criticising Jeremy Corbyn's performance in the programme. Yet once again she has hopped out of any real discussions on her uncosted policies and previous statements.

We must have all seen her reluctance to have a face to face with the electorate as she crosses the Country, the majority are staged photo events with her own faithful. I have not as yet seen any interview with journalists where she has fully answered the questions put to her.
Is she really expecting the electorate to give her their vote to negotiate in Europe and most of all to run this Country when she is deliberately being so evasive in having face to face discussions the way Corby has done? Before the election I did not think I would ever vote for Corbyn but now May is changing my views.

Rather than have tribal type responses can we please have constructive analyse of the likely real reason for her reluctant attitudes.

durhamjen Tue 06-Jun-17 21:18:37

Anyone want a laugh?

voxpoliticalonline.com/2017/06/06/this-video-clip-should-end-the-tory-election-campaign/

Jane10 Tue 06-Jun-17 17:19:01

Tracy Ullman captured her perfectly!!

Tegan2 Tue 06-Jun-17 08:45:17

paddyann; I have been in awe of Nicola Sturgeon ever since the referendum.

Ginny42 Tue 06-Jun-17 07:32:05

May has had a disastrous campaign. If she wins in spite of her poor showing, I hope her majority is slashed so she knows there are millions who don't approve of what the Tories are about to do. She's made it about Brexit and with it a whole raft of social reform will go through by default.

Where have her 'Team' been in recent weeks? She seems to have been flying solo.

paddyann Tue 06-Jun-17 01:06:36

couldn't make it up could you? She's SUPPOSED to be campaigning to win the election yet she wont face anyone who isn't a died in the wool tory and out of sight of everyone else......what on earth is going on.Now I KNOW most of you dont like/actively hate Nicola Sturgeon BUT you should look at her campaign ,out on the streets meeting young and old ,speaking to anyone who wants an answer and GIVING answers to questions ,not waffling not surrounded by burly security men and smiling at people who are in the main happy to see her .I know which style I prefer and its not Ms May's

durhamjen Mon 05-Jun-17 22:52:34

Lovely, this. Real Mayhem.

www.indy100.com/article/theresa-mays-edinburgh-ruth-davidson-general-election-2017-visit-campaign-7773801

Went to a removal firm!

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 22:51:21

Go to bed, GracesGran. You'll feel better in the morning.

I've just made three mistakes in typing those two sentences.
I think I ought to take my own advice.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 04-Jun-17 22:01:51

Can you ignore that. I am not doing very well tonight - wrong thread. Will put it on the right oneblush

GracesGranMK2 Sun 04-Jun-17 22:00:41

I'm sorry if someone has already put this on. This was what - Peter Kirkham, former Senior Investigating Officer, the Met had to say in an interview on Sky News.

"The police service is in crisis because of the cuts. They're being dragged from pillar to post. We hear talk of extra police officers on the streets. They're not extra. They're police officers who've had their rare leave days cancelled, they've had their 12 hour shifts, that are now routinely extended to 16 hours, they're being drawn from other areas."

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:43:15

Oh! Thank goodness, thought I was getting more forgetful than usual even though I ate fish 3 times this week.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:40:40

Sorry Jalima. Those two posts should have been to Jane10. She was just above you and I obviously didn't look carefully enough.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:38:57

Thank you.
However, I am still wondering what questions I am supposed to have asked to receive the answers I did

confused

durhamjen Sun 04-Jun-17 21:26:41

If it's ONS statistics, it includes the value of your house.

That'll be a problem for May with the dementia tax. The median in the whole of the north from Yorkshire upwards is less than one year's care. Half the people have assets of less than £150,000. I wonder if she had worked that out.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:17:34

except for the questions in my post of Sun 04-Jun-17 21:11:48

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:15:12

Just to answer the second of Jalima's questions, earned relates to work. Therefore earned income, either cash or in-kind benefits, received in exchange for work or service.
confused again, I don't remember asking any questions, I know that I'm getting forgetful but am quite worried now.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:11:48

GGMK2 Does that include property wealth? ie in the form of a home?
Which would skew the chart considerably if so.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:08:33

And, on the subject of family breakdowns causing poverty, there are a lot of women, such as myself, who find themselves in straightened circumstances in old age due to divorce in later life.
Tegan yes, women who find themselves on their own at pension age too.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:04:07

The actual percentage of very rich is how you chose to define it Jalima. You could talk about 'the richest 5%' or 'the richest 1%' or even, if it was relevant to your discussion the richest 50%.
confused not sure why that post was aimed at me

I have not said anything about the very rich although I do know of two very rich men who have somehow managed to abrogate their responsibilities to former partners and to their children for very many years.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:01:34

^No jalima poverty is a result of poor wages.

Yes whitewave but two lots of wages coming into a household are better than one - and we know that, despite so many advances, women's wages are still behind those of men. You cannot deny that a single mother whose partner has scarpered or is only paying the very minimum he can get away with is not suffering because of his fecklessness and irresponsibility.

Tegan2 Sun 04-Jun-17 16:46:23

But roses, if Corbyn wins and he does things that you dislike then you SHOULD whinge; that's the whole point of elections and political parties and democracy.Tony Benn said to me years ago 'be critical, not cynical' and that is how we should all be. If Corbyn does things that annoy then say so and don't be surprised if, quite often, us Labour voters agree with you....

rosesarered Sun 04-Jun-17 16:39:36

Varian you have gone above and beyond in your unflagging support for the Lib Dems.You can't do any more, but then none of us can, one vote is all we have.
The thing to remember is that we don't all think alike on the subject of politics, and whatever happens , whoever wins the GE it's democracy and I shan't be complaining, even if Corbyn wins it, not happy but not whinging about it either.You can bet on that.

varian Sun 04-Jun-17 16:28:08

This has been a very depressing and dispiriting election, quite apart from the two dreadful terrorist incidents.

The assumption from the start was that TM would win (and I am sorry to say I think that is still true), in spite of her proving to be anything but "strong and stable", says so much about the limitations of our democracy when so much influence is in the hands of the foreign billionaires who own so many newspapers.

She has made numerous about turns, from remainer to leaver to hard brexiter, no election to calling a snap election, umpteem policy u-turns, and she has behaved like some unassailable dictator who refuses to debate with opposition politicians.

Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn, so lampooned by the Tory press, has come over as someone who is at least honest and consistent, even if you don't agree with his policies, you have to admit that he has had a good campaign, in spite of being let down by some of his team (especially the truly dreadful DA).

Tim Farron, leader of the Liberal Democrats, whose party, according to The Economist, has the best costed manifesto (Tory manifesto is not even costed at all!), is largely marginalised and ignored by the vested interests of the media. So we seem to be back to confrontational two party politics which has been so damaging for this country over the years.

This is all made worse by the absurd undemocratic FPTP sustem of voting and the fact that Corbyn chose to do the same about turn as May and impose a three line whip to get his MPs to vote for article 50 - which half the country do not want.

Apart from campaigning for the Liberal Democrats (I have already voted for my LD candidate) what more can I do? I despair for the future of our country, especially for my children and grandchildren who will almost certainly have to suffer the consequenses of this brexit madness.

rosesarered Sun 04-Jun-17 15:39:12

Most older people vote, and probably middle aged, just the young voters of which many don't bother to.
Though you couldn't get a more interesting GE than this one.....whichever flavour politics you prefer.

Jane10 Sun 04-Jun-17 15:25:51

The untold damage already happened due to the brexit vote. Democracy though.
Of course I'll vote. Women died to get us the vote.

whitewave Sun 04-Jun-17 15:09:15

We will certainly be the loser if Hard Brexit wins the day. Untold damage will occur.