Gransnet forums

News & politics

Looking ahead - Friday morning probably ....

(105 Posts)
Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 16:35:23

I shall wake up with that all too familiar lump of lead feeling in my stomach that followed Brexit and Trump. I will not have slept well but will not be hungover as champagne doesn't do that to me. I'll be at my DD's so the dgc will enliven breakfast. Then it will be a slow coming to terms with reality over the weekend as all sides spin away furiously - some with less to spin than others. I will be sad but not surprised. I will be sad about the future of education and the NHS in particular and sad for people without the cushions and choices that others have. I will be pessimistic about the Brexit negotiations and the fact that there is no hope of our becoming a kinder, more caring society. I will only watch C4 news and avoid BBC radio 4. I may just listen to R3 all weekend. I will probably avoid GN but join the bunfight on MN as it is less draining. <sighs>

MaizieD Wed 07-Jun-17 16:39:33

Oh Rigby, I feel very much the same.

Which bunfight on MN? I like the idea...

Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 16:44:59

There will be dozens of threads about the results - most will turn into bunfights but there will also be uplifting analysis and hope to cheer my ravaged soul.

whitewave Wed 07-Jun-17 16:49:17

sad. It is a future I am absolutely dreading

Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:00:20

I'm working all day tomorrow thank goodness so that will distract me for several hours. I'll probably be working in an echo chamber as well so that will be soothing

kittylester Wed 07-Jun-17 17:09:11

I shall be feeling philosophical, not embittered or triumphant, and going to collect our new kitten!

Luckygirl Wed 07-Jun-17 17:12:26

TM will be weeping into her cornflakes and kindness and humanity will have prevailed........well one can dream!

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 17:16:02

kitty me too, after all, we have seen elections come and go haven't we?
I shall be going on holiday, happily, so no time for anything much.smile

whitewave Wed 07-Jun-17 17:25:30

One thing is for sure May will have no mandate for any particular type of Brexit. She has left herself wide open as a result of failing to outline anything of her plans.

Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:37:59

Well bully for you rar and kitty

Anniebach Wed 07-Jun-17 17:40:22

My thoughts will be on what might have been, regardless of who wins. If May wins I fear for the vunerable, if Corbyn wins I fear for the labour Party and the broken promises which lie ahead.

Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:42:17

If elections come and go, as of course they do ( although this one came when it wasn't necessary) are you implying that it doesn't matter who wins? Or are you just bring so sanguine because it'll be the result you want?

Elegran Wed 07-Jun-17 17:51:22

Probably saying that there is no point going into a panic attack whether the result is what you voted for or not. Though the election may not have the result everyone hoped for, the next few years of government may turn out better than they fear.

The whole exercise will have shaken up the thinking of all concerned, and by then they will be well aware of what the voting public want, from what has been said in manifestos, media reports, articles, comments, etc etc etc as well as in the voting patterns.

kittylester Wed 07-Jun-17 18:02:14

Flipping heck, Rigby!

If we get the result we want we will be pleased - but not triumphant - sure in the knowledge that things will be ok.

If we don't get the result we want we will be sad - not nasty and bitter - sure in the knowledge that there will be another election to put things right before too long.
grin

kittylester Wed 07-Jun-17 18:03:19

And I'll have a new kitten and roses will go on holiday. Life will go on.

merlotgran Wed 07-Jun-17 18:25:00

We will be going out for lunch with my brother and sis-in-law. They support Corbyn, we don't.

Whatever the result, it won't make a blind bit of difference because life's too short to allow politics to blight it.

Que sera.

Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 18:41:24

Oh oh kitty you used the word 'triumphant* I said 'sanguine'. Interesting? You also used the words 'nasty and bitter'. Well well well - nailing your colours to the mast. 5 years to the next election to put things right - as I said sanguine. I wish I could feel it was that simple. Do you not worry about education and the NHS over the next five years and the damage that will be done? Do you honestly think the cuts to school budgets are acceptable?

NfkDumpling Wed 07-Jun-17 18:42:40

I feel sorry for the losers. So much effort, pounding the streets, persuading, thinking of nothing else and then coming second or worse. I used to help with the count, but gave up as I hated seeing the anger of the losers.

NfkDumpling Wed 07-Jun-17 18:44:05

Angst not anger!

Ana Wed 07-Jun-17 18:45:25

So many people on here seem to be full of dread or frightened about the result of this election.

You'd think armageddon was due unless Corbyn wins...hmm

Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 18:45:30

I did wonder.... I guess angst is pretty accurate

Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 18:49:01

Don't be ridiculous ana you righties are really ratcheting up the language - I never used the words dread, frightened or Armageddon but do carry on making things up. I actually used the word 'sad' but I expect it wasn't sensationalist enough for you

kittylester Wed 07-Jun-17 18:52:09

Actually, Rigby, I wasn't talking about my wreaction but the reactions of the losing side in recent elections. You will note I said what I wouldn't be doing.

I will be looking forward to picking up my kitten. We've called her Maisie! gringrin

Ana Wed 07-Jun-17 18:59:59

I wasn't talking about anything you'd said Rigby, or even on this thread...

How sweet, kitty - hope to see a pic on GN when she's settled in smile

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 19:01:27

Exactly Kitty and Elegran ....we live in a democracy and what will be, will be.
So yes, sanguine is probably the word, whichever side wins.
In the great scheme of things, GE's don't take precedence for me.I would hope that the Conservatives win with a decent majority but if they don't, then the voice of the people has spoken as they say.I do hope that those posters who want Labour to win ( say it doesn't) will also recognise that the people have spoken and accept the result.
Given all the anger over the referendum on this forum though, I somehow doubt it.