Gransnet forums

News & politics

Democracy hahahaha

(342 Posts)
Rigby46 Fri 09-Jun-17 07:33:30

Ten DUP MP's calling the shots? I despair.

edsnana Fri 09-Jun-17 09:39:48

The arrogance knows no bounds. My awful Tory MP scraped in with 500 votes above Labour. Last time she won by over 4000. She says numbers don't matter. As a feminist I should be proud we have strong women in Parliament, but I despair of this lot

mcem Fri 09-Jun-17 09:40:05

Sorry dd you're right about devolved issues. Hadn't got part thinking about DWP and defence.Still sleepy!
If they do hook up with DUP the tories lose any last shred of intevrity!
Who am I kidding? They've already done that!

rosesarered Fri 09-Jun-17 09:47:02

DD I think that you and Jalima won with the predictions! Medals all round.
What a tempestuous night of politics, ( I slept through it) as we are off on hols in half an hour.
I doubt anyone has to worry about the DUP wanting anything extreme,and there are only ten of them and are allies of the Conservatives anyway.
The awful Salmond and Soubry lost seats, hurrah.Felt sorry for Clegg though.
The Conservatives will have to re-think a few things, but that's doable.
After fighting a pretty poor campaign they are lucky to still be in power, but am pleased that they are.I realise that most on this thread ( so far) won't be, but yes
That's democracy.

MaizieD Fri 09-Jun-17 09:50:04

Soubry didn't lose her seat, roses. It was misreported

Enjoy your holiday. Are you going to find some sun?

radicalnan Fri 09-Jun-17 09:50:19

They are all shits. We have in my lifetime had a government in power for a long time, of each of the main parties, poor people still poor, taxes still wasted, and leadership shoddy.

When will we ever learn?

whitewave Fri 09-Jun-17 09:50:52

Don't be fooled rose May isn't in power. She remains as the bigger party, but has little power now. She is absolutely cobbled because she is in thrall to her back benchers and the DUP that reactionary party from NI. With friends like those!!!!

mcem Fri 09-Jun-17 09:51:26

Past not part!

AllTheLs Fri 09-Jun-17 09:53:07

The cat'll be getting more respect!

Maggiemaybe Fri 09-Jun-17 09:54:51

Now I'm very sleep deprived, roses (I just managed a three hours doze), but I'm sure I saw Anna Soubry retain her seat at some stage during the long night. Sorry to disappoint you! I was euphoric when I heard Philip Davies had lost Shipley and sadly he's still there. angry

Have a great holiday. smile

sweetcakes Fri 09-Jun-17 09:55:37

DUP apparently although supporting brexit wants a open border with southern Ireland that's what they want!
And it looks like Boris will do what he always does and turn on TM and blather his way through it what a waste of space that man is.

Skweek1 Fri 09-Jun-17 10:01:57

Oh, how I agree - purleeeeze not Bojo - anyone else ... apart from TM, Amber Rudd, Jeremy Corbyn, the Millipede brothers, David Blunkett, Diane Abbott ... well almost anyone else!

annifrance Fri 09-Jun-17 10:07:55

Always said Vince Cable is the only one fit to lead the country. What a shambles.

Macron gaining ground big time here in France. So I'm OK for the time being.

Sheilasue Fri 09-Jun-17 10:09:59

thought we were shot if her and them, pity, but is going to be interesting to see what happens.

Jaycee5 Fri 09-Jun-17 10:13:48

The DUP:
1. Want to legalise discrimination about LGBT people.
2. Homophobia is deep rooted in the party.
3. The are anti women's rights.
4. They oppose gay marriage.
5. They support the death penalty.
6. They want to ban begging.
7. They are besties with UKIP.
8. They could hold the balance of power within a
weakened Tory government with a weak Theresa May.

Diddy1 Fri 09-Jun-17 10:14:31

What a mess!

whitewave Fri 09-Jun-17 10:18:37

Just keep steady folks and keep arguing -we will get there it is just a matter of time

whitewave Fri 09-Jun-17 10:22:39

Sky

Message from Blunket and Ashdown

" never ever put the country in the hands of an Ulsterman"

Pippa000 Fri 09-Jun-17 10:32:45

Oh dear Oh dear, Boris for PM !!!!!!!!

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Jun-17 10:48:55

DD I think that you and Jalima won with the predictions! Medals all round.
Thanks rosesarered
Have a lovely holiday away from all this!

I don't feel really sorry for Cleggy. Not as sorry as I did for Ed Balls when he lost his seat.
Can't see Clegg on Strictly though.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Jun-17 10:50:41

I am very glad that Sturgeon had her wings clipped too and hope that this puts a second independence referendum firmly to bed.
There is enough turmoil as it is without the thought of Scotland leaving the Union.

Granny23 Fri 09-Jun-17 10:54:18

DD You raise an interesting question which I have not heard mentioned on the TV. You are correct that under the EVEL rules NI and Scottish MPs have to leave the chamber for debates and votes on England and Wales only legislation. Welsh MPs have to leave when England only legislation is being debated.

Rules brought in by David Cameron immediately after the Scottish Referendum, mainly to put the hems on the (then) 56 SNP MPs.

What does it mean now? The numbers suggest that without the DUP and Scottish Tories, TM will NOT have a majority on English matters e.g. NHS, Social Care, Education, Policing, etc.

What a mess.

hildajenniJ Fri 09-Jun-17 11:15:50

All I can say is: "here's a pretty, pretty state of things, here's a how-de-do!

trisher Fri 09-Jun-17 11:24:08

Eric Pickles (remember him!!!) on TV trying to say TM has a mandate. Talking very slowly and calmly like people do when they are talking to people they think don't understand things.

Nelliemaggs Fri 09-Jun-17 11:32:19

Mrs May like Mr Cameron, in their privileged smugness, clearly couldn't gauge the mood of the people.
We are still in a mess and I dread the next few years but no more, no less, than before the election unless the result is a softer Brexit.
Labour could have done better but I am happy that all our local MPs increased their majorities for Labour and glad to see Mrs May's smug smile disappear.
I consider myself lucky to live in an area that thinks like I do. I would hate to live elsewhere.
Now to see if she allies herself with the DUP with just an hour to go before her appointment with the Queen.

Coco51 Fri 09-Jun-17 11:39:59

That'll be the coalition of chaos May was talking about