Gransnet forums

News & politics

Democracy hahahaha

(342 Posts)
Rigby46 Fri 09-Jun-17 07:33:30

Ten DUP MP's calling the shots? I despair.

whitewave Mon 12-Jun-17 17:25:55

lsp I don't post but do read as there's stuff on there that is of interest to us on here!smile

Luckygirl Mon 12-Jun-17 17:25:35

They do indeed!

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 12-Jun-17 17:22:37

I am hoping that when the chaos dies down we will be heading in a different direction. The conservatives have used austerity to force through their ideology, I am hoping that people have wised up to that now, we can't go on punishing the poor and the disabled.

By the way GracesGran asked why there were mumsnetters around. I've been here for years, mostly lurking, sometimes posting. I am sure there are gnetters that have a foot in both camps too. smile

GracesGranMK2 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:19:59

It is Elegran, but if you stand on one platform, form a minority government and then present the oppositions Queens Speech there really is something wrong. Anything for power has always been the Tory cry and we have seen u-turns and lies in order to get it but that surely would be a step too far.

They seem to be having difficulty in getting an agreement with the DUP so perhaps all democracy is not yet lost.

Really interesting to hear of your mind reading capabilities in an earlier post. You could have told us Labour was going to do so well though.

whitewave Mon 12-Jun-17 16:38:51

Perhaps they'll adopt the Labour manifesto grin

MaizieD Mon 12-Jun-17 16:36:59

Well, Elegran. That might be so but it's something else when an idea is rubbished by your political opponents before an election and adopted by them after it (like the cap on fuel costs hmm).

Nandalot Mon 12-Jun-17 16:17:08

I agree MaizieD. . Also Elegran, quantities easing was used successfully after the 2008 crash which helped to rescue the banks and tide us over. This time round it hasn't led to rampant inflation.

Elegran Mon 12-Jun-17 16:06:33

A good idea is a good idea, whoever had it. If moving away from austerity was good before the election, then it is still good after it. The people who were going to benefit from the change under Labour will still benefit from it. That was what was wanted, wasn't it?

MaizieD Mon 12-Jun-17 15:58:31

Oooh, look at this:

Business Insider UK

Why an 'enfeebled' Conservative government could be an unexpected positive for the UK economy

Tombs' basic argument is that the government is likely to move away from the austerity-driven economic agenda that has dominated the British political landscape since the tail end of the financial crisis, and could move toward a more expansionary fiscal policy, spending on infrastructure projects and other investments.

Stealing Labour ideas, then?

uk.businessinsider.com/a-weak-government-could-be-good-for-the-uk-economy-2017-6?utm_content=buffer2fa18&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer&r=US&IR=T

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 15:43:36

They could have been made into razor blades by now.

MaizieD Mon 12-Jun-17 15:42:12

About the same time the firemen were on strike

Green Goddesses!

I wonder if they're still there waiting to be rolled out in an emergency.

TriciaF Mon 12-Jun-17 15:37:03

I remember going down to London for the day in the early 70s and there were mountains of uncollected rubbish outside shops and restaurants, which of course attracts rats who are there all the time. About the same time the firemen were on strike and a fire nearly got out of hand in our sitting room.
We had rats in the house in the 90s too, when the conservatives were in charge.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 15:36:48

If you can't see it, Jalima then I can't help you

Likewise

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 15:35:59

Anyway, citing the winter of '79 as a reason not to trust Labour now is a bit meaningless

But I didn't!

I was just responding to your post of Sun 11-Jun-17 22:39:17
I've been googling the Winter of Discontent because my memory of it isn't very clear
and posting what my recollection of it was.

I think you and others are assuming that I said things which I did not.

MaizieD Mon 12-Jun-17 15:33:39

If you can't see it, Jalima then I can't help you. But thanks for admitting that you didn't read my post properly...

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 15:30:01

Why is asking someone if they are old enough to remember 'patronising'? I don't understand, there are much younger people on here than me.
I must have skim read and missed the bit about you working.

It was very depressing, I had never seen rats like that apart from on the farm (dead). And people just chucked their bags of rubbish on the open area opposite our house and behind our garden. When I went shopping there was rubbish in the streets.
I just wanted to go 'home' again (back to the rural West Country).

I think I did have more than four candles nanadalot

MaizieD Mon 12-Jun-17 15:29:21

Anyway, citing the winter of '79 as a reason not to trust Labour now is a bit meaningless. We live in a different country now. Economically much more stable (thanks to the EU), union power tightly curbed. I'm not saying it couldn't happen again but it is much more unlikely to.

MaizieD Mon 12-Jun-17 15:22:47

Sorry, Jalima but asking me if I was old enough to remember the Winter of Discontent sounded rather patronising to me, especially as, if you'd read my post, you'd have seen that I said I was working at the time.

I can assure you that Sheffield, where I was living and working (and pregnant) in 1979 had no power cuts, no unburied bodies and no rubbish piling up in the streets. It was a dreadful winter though, so much snow that the buses couldn't run (too many hills) and having to sleep on the floor of the hospital nurses home because I couldn't get home. (That was so horrible that I trudged 3 miles through the snow to get home after one night!)

On the other hand I can clearly remember the 3 day week during the miners strike of '76. Phased power cuts around the city (we were lucky enough to live on the same circuit as the hospital I worked at, hospitals' power was never cut) darkened shops, no TV after 10.00 pm. Tory government...

Nandalot Mon 12-Jun-17 15:20:20

Jalima I only pointed out that the three day week and the electricity cuts started under Heath because you said that you didn't have children at the time of Heath so the candles were definitely not then. I was just pointing out that there were candles under both Heath and Wilson. Sounds like a two Ronnie sketch!

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 15:19:53

It does seem to me, though, that if a poster dares to say anything on a thread which deviates even slightly from the official Labour party line they are accused of being 'right wing', being 'patronising' confused, and setting their political views against a particular party because of events 40 years ago which many other posters were very lucky not to have experienced.
To quote a life experience and be asked if that really happened, that another poster saw nothing of the problems dismisses one person's statement as verging on the untrue.
Perhaps you were all living in a bubble, as someone posted above.

I have pointed out that I do not have rigid views regarding any political party and that any party, when too long in power, becomes complacent and the electorate starts demanding change.

If the events of the late 1970s were not so bad how come the electorate thought otherwise?

daphnedill Mon 12-Jun-17 15:14:00

One poster did Jalima, but I can't remember who it was. It was something along the lines of "we'll return to the days of unburied bodies and no electricity if we vote for Corbyn". It was a bit hysterical and illogical.

PS. I lived in various parts of Greater London from 1973 to 1982. I read about the problems, but I can honestly say I didn't experience them personally.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 15:04:36

It seems extreme to me to set your political views against one political party because, almost 40 years ago, a small group who where outside the actual Labour Party (although affiliated I have no doubt) made life difficult for you by withdrawing their labour because their wages were being frozen - something they were perfectly entitled to do.

Who has done that?
Has anyone posted that they have set their political views against one particular party because of the debacle some of them manage to make at the end of their terms?

Please tell me which poster has done that.

Elegran Mon 12-Jun-17 13:30:04

I didn't say that anyone had mentioned false memories "out loud" GG2 but that they seemed to think it, from the tone of their posts. I think Jalima felt that too.

I don't think I said anything at all about basing my view of a political party on one event. Seventy-eight years of life covers more than one event, more than one financial situation in my life, and more than one shade of government. In any case I was offering a link to an article, not expressing a view of any party, so the influence of anything is not really relevant.

whitewave Mon 12-Jun-17 13:28:56

I assume that when Maybot spoke to the Queen she must have assured her Maj that she could form a functioning government. But it is clear that Maybot was far at that point of doing so.

Did Maybot lie to her Maj then?

I did think at the time it was a tad premature

GracesGranMK2 Mon 12-Jun-17 13:22:23

but I am just saying that life under Labour was not perfect either

I think we could all agree with that Jalima. Life, so far as I have experienced it, is never perfect. All I ask from our political parties is that they ensure a reasonable share of 'lifes' resources go to each person - I really don't ever expect perfection and would be surprised if anyone does.