Gransnet forums

News & politics

Democracy hahahaha

(342 Posts)
Rigby46 Fri 09-Jun-17 07:33:30

Ten DUP MP's calling the shots? I despair.

Sillyoldfool Tue 13-Jun-17 06:59:13

For an alternative view may I suggest Marcher Lord. His tweets are usually succinct & often funny. Lefties will hate him.

Mamie Tue 13-Jun-17 04:45:00

David Allen Green is a lawyer who is brilliant on Brexit on Twitter. I also follow Ian Dunt, who wrote the brilliant book about Brexit and what the hell happens next.
I very rarely tweet (usually only to complain to companies for poor service), but find it invaluable for unexpected delays when travelling.

durhamjen Mon 12-Jun-17 23:38:57

This is the way I like to look at tweets. Everyone seemed to think the same thing about Gove's appointment as environment secretary.

www.indy100.com/article/uk-general-election-2017-hung-parliament-theresa-may-michael-gove-defra-fields-of-wheat-joke-7785641

whitewave Mon 12-Jun-17 21:28:17

Thats exactly what i think -i think the gutter press's days are numbered with luck.

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 12-Jun-17 21:20:56

It's the complete opposite of The Mail and Co isn't it? There are lots of great people to follow, some really sharp minds. Lot's of fake news floating around too but it's normally challenged as it's so accessible.

whitewave Mon 12-Jun-17 21:06:44

LSP yes thanks -it really opens stuff up doesnt it?
I like to follow the trending although i am still finding my way around.

But to me looking at it before the election i was astounded at the JC support.

Now its the opposition to the DUP and of course Trump is fun

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 12-Jun-17 20:58:37

Twitter is great for news around the world, tweets are short but people tweet articles. Follow people you are interested in and these will make up your feed, the top hashtags are interesting, if you click on them you can see what everyone thinks about that topic. So at the moment Channel 4 news is trending as is the 1922 committee and #goats skin, which is full of pictures of surprised goats grin

Twitter is irreverent but when news hits it hits there first. I follow a group of people and journalists who report from Syria and they give you a broader picture than you will ever get from a tabloid.

It's also full of idiots but you can just block them.

The Milliverse is worth a follow, it's tweets from an alt universe where Ed became pm.

Ana Mon 12-Jun-17 20:21:57

Are you now an official Corbyn Follower whitewave? grin

whitewave Mon 12-Jun-17 20:20:10

Cheers!!!

daphnedill Mon 12-Jun-17 20:18:57

Click on their post and on "Reply"

Ana Mon 12-Jun-17 20:06:15

(political) Death by Twitter!

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 20:00:59

To use that well-worn cliché
'Lessons will be Learned'

(not on how to use Twitter though, sorry whitewave).

whitewave Mon 12-Jun-17 19:57:15

I can't see "what's happening?" Oh god I think I'm not going to master this

whitewave Mon 12-Jun-17 19:55:07

Thanks, but if say I want to comment on a someone else's twit or whatever you call it -say I was keen to chat on Corbyns twit how do I do that?

daphnedill Mon 12-Jun-17 19:51:57

Click on "What's happening?" and write a message. You need some followers, so it's useful to reply to other people, who might choose to follow you.

Ana Mon 12-Jun-17 19:46:27

Labour doesn't get off scott-free either, or the LiDems.

Quite scary to think that it only takes the mood of the nation to change to bring a party down.

whitewave Mon 12-Jun-17 19:39:26

I have been looking more and more at twitter. I don't know how to post though.

But I can understand how the mainstream media are losing their influence. Lies will be immediately shown for what they are, and it is clear how this government lost their majority and will lose the election next time if the direction of travel continues.

daphnedill Mon 12-Jun-17 19:04:49

I "follow" a range of people too, so that I don't exist in a bubble. I'm relatively new to Twitter, but am hooked. I just block anybody who gets obnoxious and don't get involved in petty squabbles.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 12-Jun-17 18:55:50

I'm ashamed to admit it LSP but I have never got my head round Twitter but it seems to be becoming an instrument of politics and may even make papers redundant. It will be interesting to seegrin

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 12-Jun-17 18:27:06

I saw Emily Thornberry saying that Labour were going to hold their feet to the fire, crack on love, crack on grin

GG I find every forum has a different flavour, there are some cracking political debates here and on mumsnet, the trump one particularly. Twitter is very good too, though you have to be really careful not to get in a bubble, I try to follow people from the right and left so that my feed is mixed.

Welshwife Mon 12-Jun-17 18:09:06

Someone said that SF will not accept the DUP in Govt - fair enough and not a surprise - but will they need to take their seats in Westminster to make this clear? Interesting if they do.

Rigby46 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:48:31

Sigh lying= losing, probably a Freudian slip

Rigby46 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:47:28

For every minute they remain in office ( not power) they will lose support - already we have the deal with the DUP, the threat to the GFA, the farce over the press release about the DUP, the playing fast and lose with the timing of the QS, her ridiculous speech when she came back from the Palace, the disclosures about her two advisers and how she was basically their puppet - keep on keeping on Tessie- you're lying more votes with every breath that you take. And now latest figures on consumer spending .....

GracesGranMK2 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:28:02

I didn't know you were a mumsnetter LSP. Those who seem to have come across recently (and you) have certainly added to the discussions. I wondered if something had triggered it but it doesn't sound as if anything did. Just one of those thingssmile

rosesarered Mon 12-Jun-17 17:27:37

Labour did better than expected ( but did not do well!)
They could not form a government due to lack of numbers, so whichever way you spin it, they are behind the Conservatives, it is hardly a triumph for them.
In fact, not a triumph for the Tories either, but if they do get the eight they need from the DUP then it could go ahead.If there was to be another GE any time soon,the results could be much the same.We need to get on with Brexit, not mess about any longer.