Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should we help bring him home.?

(39 Posts)
morethan2 Tue 13-Jun-17 13:36:12

I've just heard that a family are asking the British government to help locate their son who went to Syria. I have very mixed feelings. On one hand I have every sympathy with the parents who must be worried sick. I also think that perhaps the boy was very young and impressionable and was not old enough to realise what he was doing. On the other I think "serves him right" blush what do you think

Chewbacca Tue 13-Jun-17 23:41:07

In a Channel 4 documentary, in July 2016, this young man stated that he hated his parents because they were "non believers". He also said "I oppose so-called Islamic State, but that doesn't mean I am with you, the dirty non-Muslims." He stated that he had no desire or intention to return to the UK. However, by June of this year, he had fled Syria and now says "I hate them (ISIS) more than the Americans hate them".
He seems to be a young man who was filled with hate and rage, both against his parents and the world at large, and now against those he sought to live with. He obviously got himself into far more than his teenage ideologies had ever imagined. But he's not a teenager anymore, he's a man of 24 and he's brought untold misery and anguish to a family who clearly loved him to the point of breaking the law for him and I feel that he must face up to the repercussions of his actions. And, as others have said before me, would we even be considering the question if he wasn't white, well educated & middle class? I suspect not.

Marydoll Wed 14-Jun-17 00:18:22

Good post "Chewey" I remember following this story. As a result of his actions, his parents have ended up in court and I often wondered what I would do if faced with the same dilemma. I love my children, but I couldn't condone the actions of a terrorist responsible for the deaths of innocent people.

Faye Wed 14-Jun-17 07:02:25

He has more than likely cause untold misery to people in Syria. If he had dual citizenship in Australia and had been involved in overseas terrorism he would lose his Australian citizenship and not ever be allowed back in the country.

gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 07:14:53

He is an educated young man who made his (very bad) choice. I can't imagine what damage he might do if he were allowed home to roam free on our streets, so full of hatred as he is.

Maybe the Australians have got it right Faye .

Jane10 Wed 14-Jun-17 09:44:55

I think so too.

Luckylegs9 Wed 14-Jun-17 14:52:08

Depends if he is radicalised. If he is then no. Whether he is white or black, Ill educated or went to Oxford, they all speak from the same sheet if radicalised. Feel for his parents, we love them whatever, whilst not liking what they do. Anyone who has tried to make a teenager do something their minds set against knows that. We encourage them to have their own minds and be independent, but Sometimes, like in this young man what they choose to do horrifies.

grannypiper Wed 14-Jun-17 15:56:54

I feel for his parents but can this man be trusted ? He made his choice and was more than happy to side with the terrorists so why should we bail him out now ? A person blown up by an 18 year old is just as dead as on blown up by a 21 year old or a 40 year old.

M0nica Wed 14-Jun-17 19:36:37

What puzzles me is why a young man with his background, white, therefore no cultural issues, intelligent, at a good state school, supportive parents, growing up in a city like Oxford, should hate so much and so intensively.

Young men with his background are usually more likely to join humanitarian and aid groups like Oxfam, or one of the many other mainstream charities taking aid to the middle east, not, supposedly, head off on personal aid missions, if he is to be believed that that is what he was doing.

Two interesting but long links about him and his family can be found on www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3423758/Brainwashing-Jihadi-Jack-parents-respectable-reveal-middle-class-boy-Oxford-recruited-Islamic-fanatics.html

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/jihadi-jack-i-hate-my-parents-but-miss-doughnuts/

Although I boggle at the Mail journalist describing their home as in a dreary suburb of Oxford. It is a highly desirable area of Oxford, close to the town centre and relatively expensive, even by Oxford standards. No change from £500,000

Smileless2012 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:38:44

My heart goes out to his parents but no, I don't think assistance should be given to bring him home.

rosesarered Wed 14-Jun-17 20:47:22

I do wonder if he had /has mental health issues.
I feel sorry for his parents.

M0nica Wed 14-Jun-17 23:00:43

It has been suggested that he has OCD, but that should not be significant informing his views or his subsequent behaviour

Chewbacca Wed 14-Jun-17 23:14:12

His family are firmly convinced that he's been misrepresented in the press and insist that he only went for humanitarian reasons. Their conviction and belief in their son's innocence is immeasurable and I wonder whether I would have the same conviction and belief, in my DS, if he had announced to the world that he hated me and that I deserved to die if I didn't convert to his religious beliefs. I'm not sure that I could to be honest.

M0nica Thu 15-Jun-17 13:45:31

No, I think being repudiated by my child in these circumstances, would lead me to take a step back as well.