London fire

(1000 Posts)
ninathenana Wed 14-Jun-17 08:12:32

Awful news, just seen this on the news.
Thoughts with everyone involved including firefighters

gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 08:17:32

More terrible news to wake up to.

My heart goes out to these poor people.

Just listening to reports on radio4 and apparently the tower block was recently refurbished which included the addition of fire proof (???) cladding. There will be a lot of questions to answer.

grannypiper Wed 14-Jun-17 08:17:58

i couldn't read the article, it is my worst nightmare and that is why i would never live in a towerblock. I feel for everyone involved, poor souls.

TerriBull Wed 14-Jun-17 08:20:26

Heavens it looks a really serious fire, how awful, those poor people. It's too soon to know what the cause is, but a previous fire in a tower block I believe was down to a faulty tumble dryer, some makes are proving to be a serious menace.

glammanana Wed 14-Jun-17 08:26:21

I have been watching this since about 3am when OH told me it was on Sky News it has been horrific and heartbreaking to watch, the bravery of the Emergency Services is second to none may God Bless all concerned in this tragic incident.

travelsafar Wed 14-Jun-17 08:27:03

This made me cry when i read on a new website this morning.

Those poor poor people trapped inside knowing they may not be rescued. They must have been terrified.

Imagine living in a tower block nearby and seeing this going on!!!!!

Baggs Wed 14-Jun-17 08:40:05

Apparently no fire alarm sounded. Awful news!

Greyduster Wed 14-Jun-17 08:44:51

I have only just caught up with this, and saw the pictures - it's horrendous. The stuff of my worst nightmare. My heart goes out to the people who lived there, and the fire brigades. We lived on the twelfth floor of a block of high rise flats in the Far East when we first got married. They were very nice, but we tried not to think about what would happen if there was a fire and everyone was trying to evacuate down the staircases at the sides.

daphnedill Wed 14-Jun-17 08:45:15

It's appalling. A tragedy and a major scandal. Residents have been complaining about fire risk for ages.

grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/grenfell-tower-fire/

Luckygirl Wed 14-Jun-17 08:48:31

What a terrible ting to happen - those poor souls.

merlotgran Wed 14-Jun-17 08:53:07

Unbelievably awful. No words to add.

MaizieD Wed 14-Jun-17 08:57:14

You beat me to it, dd! I was just about to post that link.
Utterly shocking that the owners ignored concerns. I hope it costs them very dear indeed.

Horrifying to see how the fire became an inferno. Those poor, poor people trapped inside.

MargaretX Wed 14-Jun-17 09:03:12

I broke down in tears in front of my computer It seems never ending what London and Londoners have to suffer.
The videos are terrible.
A nightmare

ninathenana Wed 14-Jun-17 09:06:31

I can't be the only one who was taken back to 9/11 seeing this sad
An interview with a resident who managed to escape with his girlfriend and baby said they had recently been installing gas to the building and that there had previosly been a small explosion.
They are saying it may collapse, in which case the cause may never be known sad

Wheniwasyourage Wed 14-Jun-17 09:08:05

So terrible. Nothing but praise for the brave firefighters and also for those who are offering shelter and support for those who have managed to escape. Can't say any more.

J52 Wed 14-Jun-17 09:33:05

Brought me to tears. Those poor souls. Lives, homes, hopes and dreams all shattered. How do you ever recover from such a tragedy.
Puts life into perspective, sadly.

Charleygirl Wed 14-Jun-17 09:39:12

Absolutely awful, words cannot express what is going on there. The screams of people will be in many heads for a very long time.

Heaven help how the hospitals are coping as they still have not recovered from the Borough Market massacre. Burns and broken bones will be the major injuries I would have thought and both take longer to repair, never mind the psychological damage.

The firefighters and police as ever have done a sterling job- we have the best in the world.

Teetime Wed 14-Jun-17 09:45:11

sad

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Jun-17 09:45:59

Horrific those poor people
I can't watch it, just makes me weep
Our fire fighters are true heroes

TerriBull Wed 14-Jun-17 09:56:11

Allegedly FAULTY FRIDGE there is a certain manufacturer, whose fridge/freezers have been the cause of a few deaths already. Can't understand why there hasn't been a class action against them. Will wait and see what the make is, if this is actually the cause, to see if it's the one I suspect. Such an awful, awful tragedy my heart goes out to those poor people.

nigglynellie Wed 14-Jun-17 09:57:06

Apparently a faulty fridge exploding is thought to have been the cause, but it's only heresay, and of course hasn't been verified. What a dreadful, dreadful thing to have happened. Those poor poor people. It doesn't bear thinking about, just shocking!

Charleygirl Wed 14-Jun-17 09:59:33

TerriBull I would put money on it that it is the same make in my mind. I personally would not buy any white goods from that manufacturer because I do not trust them- there have been too many accidents.

Welshwife Wed 14-Jun-17 10:00:16

Just read a blog by the Grefell Action Committee from last November which predicted a huge fire and loss of life. Seems they have been warning about safety concerns and fire risk etc and have been ignored.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Jun-17 10:06:47

Yes welshwife - I have seen this website with the blog expressing concerns. The phrase "lessons will be learned" is waiting in the wings, as so often.

michellehargreaves Wed 14-Jun-17 10:09:33

Absolutely terrible news. For the people involved and the rescue services the worst of situations. The blogs from the residents association seem prophetic in every way. It will be a long time before the real causes can be investigated and published. I hope that this wasn't arson.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion