Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is the difference between…

(4 Posts)
absent Tue 20-Jun-17 03:12:21

…a terrorist attack and a hate crime? Clearly, there is an overlap but where is the dividing line? I think it matters how these terms are used, not least because of the need for an appropriate response from the police, politicians and the media.

Obviously, at least part of the aim of a terrorist is to cause fear, preferably as much as possible, in the general populace. Another fairly standard aim is to cause an authoritarian crackdown on cherished freedoms and that, in turn, inspires anger among the populace. However, does a terrorist [do terrorists] have to belong, in some sense, to a particular organisation or group with a shared ideology or can a single person with no connection to any organisation or group still be a terrorist?

Hate crime clearly can be carried out by a single perpetrator or a loose association of like-minded thugs. It does not seem to be organised in the sense of a shared ideology but more a combination of hatred of a recognisable group and mob emotion.

I remain confused about whether some recent events, which have been treated as terrorism and described as such in mainstream and social media, truly are terrorism or whether bandying the term around will nilly simply ratchets up more fear and tension between different communities.

yggdrasil Tue 20-Jun-17 07:36:33

The man who drove his van at people at the mosque is no different than the man who drove his van on Westminster Bridge. If one is a terrorist attack, so is the other.
Actually, the difference is that the Jihadi is dead, and the anti-muslim isn't, due to the intervention of the Imam.

Anya Tue 20-Jun-17 07:49:08

I'd suggest that an act of terror is when it is directed at people you don't know in support of an ideology.

M0nica Tue 20-Jun-17 10:21:11

Magnitude? Shouting abuse, possibly without any pre-plan. Like the Finsbury Park man is said to have done in his local pub when drunk, is a hate crime. Hiring a van, driving to London and mowing people down with deliberate plan is terrorism.

Just a suggestion.