Duke of Edinburgh in hospital

(36 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 21-Jun-17 11:04:34

Same infection as before it seems.

Get Well Soon.

MawBroon Wed 21-Jun-17 11:06:50

Oh dear sad

annsixty Wed 21-Jun-17 11:25:14

He is an old man and really looked it on the balcony shots on Saturday.
I wish him well.

nigglynellie Wed 21-Jun-17 11:36:37

Oh dear he is a very old man and a gallant one, but I don't like the sound of this. Like others, I wish him well, but no one is immortal. sad

kittylester Wed 21-Jun-17 11:40:54

Hope he gets well and has a chance to enjoy doing a little less work.

willsmadnan Wed 21-Jun-17 11:45:18

I do wish he'd put his health before duty.... Trooping the Colour at the weekend, Ascot yesterday in full morning dress.... and said to be 'disappointed' to be missing the State Opening of Parliament, and Ascot this afternoon. And all in the sort of weather that would have most nonagenarians sitting in a cool room watching afternoon telly. I expect everyone's given up trying to advise him. Did anyone see the photo of him at Ascot yesterday with his GD Zara Tindall putting her arm round him? Maybe she could see he was flagging a bit. She's so lovely and 'normal'.

Cherrytree59 Wed 21-Jun-17 11:45:22

I wish The Duke well

NanaandGrampy Wed 21-Jun-17 12:24:24

I hope he feels better soon. For an old chap he still does so much. The Queen , I am sure would miss him terribly .

Auntieflo Wed 21-Jun-17 12:44:24

Get well soon DOE

henetha Wed 21-Jun-17 13:06:44

No one could blame him now if he just sat and put his feet up. He's earned it. Get Well Soon.

TwiceAsNice Wed 21-Jun-17 18:22:17

Get well I really like the Duke of Edinburgh. Did anyone see the programme when Alan Titchmarsh interviewed him at the palace? He was so interesting , he gave up everything for the Queen but they seem really happy. What would she do without him?

Gagagran Wed 21-Jun-17 18:48:23

He had that urinary infection after he got chilled on the barge in the diamond jubilee regatta on the Thames so maybe that has recurred. It seems to be a weak spot for old gentlemen. At 96 he must have some weaknesses.

phoenix Wed 21-Jun-17 18:59:48

I have respect for him too, but perhaps it's a flare up of his recurrent lackoftactitis? He's suffered from that for years, thank goodness! His "classic" remarks still make me smile!

Cindersdad Wed 21-Jun-17 23:47:35

I wish him and the Queen well but do think they should both hand over to the younger Royals. When the Duke passes away the Queen will be totally bereft and likely not far behind him. A sudden change caused by their passing could be bad for the monarchy.

Jalima1108 Thu 22-Jun-17 00:05:00

I think they are cutting down on the amount they do and the younger ones are supposed to be doing much more; he was going to retire altogether in the autumn but perhaps sooner would be a good idea. It takes much longer to get over these things the older you are.

No-one will be able to decide for him though so I hope he gets well soon.

stillaliveandkicking Thu 22-Jun-17 01:28:10

I totally admire them both and as parents/grandparents I feel they are trying to keep going as long as possible to give their offspring as much guidance and leeway as they can before the burden falls on their shoulders.

paddyann Thu 22-Jun-17 01:58:46

Twiceasnice what exactly did he give up? He was an emigre with no visiblle means of support ,a mother who was mentally ill and a family who were/supported nazi's.Seems to me he did very well by marrying the queen as his uncle wanted and he had a fabulous life even if it was one step behind her .Never did a hard days work in his life ,carried like all the other royal hangers on .Does anyone really care about him besides his family? Nobody I know!

stillaliveandkicking Thu 22-Jun-17 02:03:41

A bit harsh there paddyann grin

BlueBelle Thu 22-Jun-17 05:15:30

Oh dear Paddyann not a fan then
He can't help who his mother was or if she was mentally ill why is that of any importance ?
I would say the old chap has worked incredible hard and this is coming from someone who s not huge on the royals but I d do admire their preserverence,both of them, I wonder if you ll still be getting up to do your duties in your 90 s

As for taking it easy I think the DofE will just pass away when that happens he needs to be 'doing'
96 is a huge age and realistically we have to expect he can pass any time he's a gutsy old boy so may well wether yet another storm for a few months

nigglynellie Thu 22-Jun-17 07:03:13

Usual unpleasant comments from Paddyann! No surprise there. HRH actually gave up a promising career in the Royal Navy, having been on ACTIVE service during WW2 despite his sisters marriages, his mother's mental illness, his father's infidelities, (none of which he, surprisingly, couldn't help!!!) and being virtually abandoned by his family as a small boy. He was brought up by maternal relations in a foreign country who no doubt did their duty by this lonely unwanted small boy who was used by the ever ambitious Uncle Dicky!(Earl Mountbattan.) Having your life mapped out for you from a child, and playing second fiddle to your wife in ALL matters can't have been easy, and the desire to run to the hills must have been intense particularly during the early years of that marriage.
He has stood by the Queen for nearly 70 years through good times and bad, and yes, she will be bereft without him, so here's hoping that he makes a speedy recovery to enjoy his retirement, perhaps doing what HE wants to do with duty being put firmly on the back burner - He certainly deserves it.

nigglynellie Thu 22-Jun-17 07:05:33

Correction . Earl Mountbatten

Anya Thu 22-Jun-17 07:35:24

I hasn't heard, just thought it was 'Bring Your Child to Work Day'!

I'm not a great fan of privilege, but the Queen and the DoE are a devoted couple both in their 90s and I do respect age and devotion. I hope he pulls through..

Nelliemoser Thu 22-Jun-17 07:55:36

Paddyann your comments are grossly unfair. He is a WW2 veteran and is 96.
This is what you said.

"twiceas nice what exactly did he give up?" He was an emigre with no visiblle means of support, a mother who was mentally ill and a family who were/supported nazi's."

Ok she was mentally ill poor woman, show her some compassion, that is not her fault.

Paddyann I suggest you read this.
Princess Alice (Prince Philips mother) had a rough time. She had severe hearing problems and from what
He probably could not cope with a wife with mental health issues.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Alice_of_Battenberg

"In 1930, she was diagnosed with schizophrenia and committed to a sanatorium in Switzerland; thereafter, she lived separately from her husband.
After her recovery, she devoted most of her remaining years to charity work in Greece. She stayed in Athens during the Second World War, sheltering Jewish refugees, for which she is recognized as "Righteous Among the Nations" by Israel's Holocaust memorial institution, Yad Vashem.
After the war, she stayed in Greece and founded an Orthodox nursing order of nuns known as the Christian Sisterhood of Martha and Mary."
She was an incredibly brave woman.

There was a documentary about her a few years ago which certainly enlighted me as to what she had done for the good of humanity.

Hiding Jews in WW2 in Greece was incredible dangerous. She did not flee her country to somewhere safer as she could have done.

Iam64 Thu 22-Jun-17 08:34:09

It's heartening to see positive comments wishing the DofE well. What a negative, cold, critical and totally unnecessary comment from one poster. Whatever peoples views on the monarchy, both the Queen and the DofE have given their adult lives to public service. I would not swop my ordinary life for theirs. I retired in my mid sixties and live a life that isn't under constant scrutiny.

NanaandGrampy Thu 22-Jun-17 08:42:02

Totally agree Iam !!