Gransnet forums

News & politics

May blocked granting rights to EU citizens *before* she was PM

(120 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 23-Jun-17 15:32:39

This is interesting. Why would she do this?
She wasn't PM at the time but I wonder if she had an inkling that Cameron would go and she had a chance of getting the leadership?

It makes a bit of a mockery of the the 'negotiating card' and the 'bad EU wouldn't reciprocate' rationales that people on here have been supporting.

I don't think that at this very early stage anyone from the EU had said that we'd have to wait for the negotiations to start before discussing rights of EU/UK immigrants

Start
Theresa May single-handedly blocked a plan to immediately guarantee the future rights of the 3m EU citizens in the UK last summer, George Osborne has revealed.

The then-Home Secretary was the only member of the Cabinet to oppose David Cameron, who “wanted to reassure EU citizens they would be allowed to stay”, after Brexit.

“All his Cabinet agreed with that unilateral offer, except his Home Secretary, Mrs May, who insisted on blocking it,” revealed the Evening Standard, now edited by Mr Osborne.

The proposal was discussed “in the days immediately after the referendum” exactly one year ago, said the newspaper.
The revelation comes after EU citizens in the UK protested that Ms May’s “generous” offer – outlined last night - will leave them with less rights after Brexit than “British jam”.

End

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizens-rights-uk-referendum-theresa-may-blocked-plans-home-secretary-george-osborne-a7804461.html

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 14:58:08

www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/node/5139

Here's a chart comparing the two different offers for EU citizens.

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 10:11:38

www.indy100.com/article/eu-citizenship-theresa-may-immigration-brexit-deals-foreign-students-7810256

Someone has looked more carefully at the EU residents deal.

durhamjen Thu 29-Jun-17 17:00:45

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/28/eu-children-may-have-to-apply-to-stay-in-uk-after-brexit-leaked-analysis-says

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/27/theresa-may-offer-does-little-to-relieve-the-anxiety-of-eu-citizens-in-britain

whitewave Thu 29-Jun-17 16:31:11

It really is absolutely disgraceful. It reads just as if it is a done deal. What are they playing at?

The replies reflect in strong terms what a disgrace people think it is.

durhamjen Thu 29-Jun-17 16:16:47

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/29/brexodus-eu-nationals-citizenship-uk-brexit

Too late for many, whitewave.
Serves Brexiteers right.
'We want you to stay' but will reduce your rights.

durhamjen Thu 29-Jun-17 16:10:38

What are the Home Office doing, using twitter for something this important?

whitewave Thu 29-Jun-17 16:08:10

Home Office have twittered an offer to EU immigrants.

The reply tweets are worth a read especially as they have reminded the Home Office that negotiations have hardly started yet.

whitewave Thu 29-Jun-17 08:58:55

pogs reading subsequent posts can I assume you have your answer?

Welshwife Thu 29-Jun-17 08:55:17

VOTING IN FRANCE FOR UK CITIZENS.

We are registered to vote here and can vote in the local elections - which I know is the local council and you can stand as a candidate - one of our friends is on a neighbouring Council. I think we can also vote in the department elections too. We CANNOT vote in the national senate or Presidential elections but we do get to vote in European ones.

Until we have lived outside the UK for 15 years we can vote in General Elections and also were allowed to vote in the referendum. We cannot vote in local or county council elections.

durhamjen Thu 29-Jun-17 08:04:06

Yes, that's it, Maizie.
The government wants to give even fewer rights to EU citizens, thereby disenfranchising many EU citizens.
It's no wonder half of them expect to leave in the next five years, especially those in the health service. They have skills that are transferable to anywhere in the world.

MaizieD Thu 29-Jun-17 00:29:59

So at present there are UK citizens residing in some EU countries who may not be permitted to vote in either Local or National Elections of the country they are residing in.

As far as I can see, POGS. But it was a very brief google..

So there is not a defined EU policy it has been at the discretion of each country.

So it appears, but, with regard to the EU v the UK offers on rights of EU and UK citizens, I believe (but this is hearsay as I haven't read either offer in detail) that the EU is offering (and asking for) the exactly the same rights as enjoyed at present by any EU citizen, in perpetuity, for those living in another EU country before the actual Brexit date whereas the UK 'offer' limits those rights for EU citizens in the uK, particularly with regard to voting (i.e they won't be able to vote in any election). But don't quote me on this...I may well be wrong...

MaizieD Thu 29-Jun-17 00:14:21

Oh, I do apologise for the mix up. It was a bit of a Senior moment, I think.

@*Jalima*. More grins

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 23:50:59

OH!

Nice to know you think of me from time to time even when I'm not around, MaizieD
grin

POGS Wed 28-Jun-17 23:49:33

Maisie

I think you mean POGS not Jalima.

Thank you.

So at present there are UK citizens residing in some EU countries who may not be permitted to vote in either Local or National Elections of the country they are residing in.

So there is not a defined EU policy it has been at the discretion of each country.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 23:44:18

MaizieD I know that I am often in the wrong according to your posts but I am totally bemused this time to get the blame for mis-googling when I am not even posting on this thread
(until this post)

confused

MaizieD Wed 28-Jun-17 23:08:46

A limited amount of googling, Jalima seems to come up with the fact that EU citizens (which obviously includes Brits living in other EU countries) who don't have citizenship of the country they live in are unable to vote in national elections. For local elections the rules seem to vary from country to country. Non British EU citizens have the right to vote in local elections and devolved parliaments' elections in the UK.

They are eligible to vote in EU Parliamentary elections either in the country they are living in or their 'native' country, but not in both.

The rules also seem to vary on the length of time they have not lived in their country of origin as to whether or not they can still vote in their national elections. The British are ineligible after 15 years away (as we know), others may have no time limit on eligibility. (Clearly a point on which EU countries retain their own sovereignty!)

Citizens of the Republic of Ireland are able to vote in UK general elections (as are Commonwealth citizens) under quite separate arrangements from EU 'rights'.

durhamjen Wed 28-Jun-17 22:31:34

I agree with you there, FarNorth.
A free newspaper in London gives him lots of access, too, to millions of minds to be persuaded.

Hard one, though. Who do you mistrust the most, May or Osborne?

FarNorth Wed 28-Jun-17 22:29:19

I didn't mean Osborne was lying about this, but I don't trust him in general.

whitewave Wed 28-Jun-17 21:44:25

OK but i will have to try and find your answer tomorrow as im in bed on phone -the stuff i need is on my ipad which is downstairs charging

POGS Wed 28-Jun-17 21:38:24

WW

I can't in all honesty find the answer To my question and I have looked.

Can UK citizens residing in EU countries vote in local and national elections either now or is it covered in the EU Proposal.

A genuine question I was hoping to know the answer to, no Red Herring, no ulterior motive a plain and simple question.

whitewave Wed 28-Jun-17 21:22:51

The full proposals can be found on line. I have down loaded them and would put them on here if i knew how

POGS Wed 28-Jun-17 21:18:30

Why was my question a Red Herring.?

I thought somebody could tell me the answer but I guess it is so far not known by posters who followed.

I am trying to get my head around both the E U and UK Government proposals before I make an informed decision as to what I feel about their proposals. Proposals that might alter as negotiations go on.

durhamjen Wed 28-Jun-17 20:07:39

Possibly because she was the home secretary, FarNorth?
Nobody has said Osborne was lying and it's been out for nearly a week.

durhamjen Wed 28-Jun-17 20:05:07

Explains the u-turn after u-turn after u-turn today, whitewave.
Maybot out of control and going round in circles.

FarNorth Wed 28-Jun-17 20:04:22

I still don't see why TM was able to block it if everyone else unanimously wanted it.
And I don't trust George Osborne one inch.