Gransnet forums

News & politics

May blocked granting rights to EU citizens *before* she was PM

(119 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 23-Jun-17 15:32:39

This is interesting. Why would she do this?
She wasn't PM at the time but I wonder if she had an inkling that Cameron would go and she had a chance of getting the leadership?

It makes a bit of a mockery of the the 'negotiating card' and the 'bad EU wouldn't reciprocate' rationales that people on here have been supporting.

I don't think that at this very early stage anyone from the EU had said that we'd have to wait for the negotiations to start before discussing rights of EU/UK immigrants

Start
Theresa May single-handedly blocked a plan to immediately guarantee the future rights of the 3m EU citizens in the UK last summer, George Osborne has revealed.

The then-Home Secretary was the only member of the Cabinet to oppose David Cameron, who “wanted to reassure EU citizens they would be allowed to stay”, after Brexit.

“All his Cabinet agreed with that unilateral offer, except his Home Secretary, Mrs May, who insisted on blocking it,” revealed the Evening Standard, now edited by Mr Osborne.

The proposal was discussed “in the days immediately after the referendum” exactly one year ago, said the newspaper.
The revelation comes after EU citizens in the UK protested that Ms May’s “generous” offer – outlined last night - will leave them with less rights after Brexit than “British jam”.

End

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizens-rights-uk-referendum-theresa-may-blocked-plans-home-secretary-george-osborne-a7804461.html

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 15:42:58

Osborne is certainly enjoying himself isn't he? Revenge is definately a dish served cold.

I am sure that there is do much more dirty linen from where that came from.

One of the sticking points is allowing the immigrants access to the ECJ.

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 15:43:35

Sorry about typos

ninny Fri 23-Jun-17 15:50:15

I'm glad she did.

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 15:52:14

And our citizens in the EU ninny?

Jane10 Fri 23-Jun-17 16:12:16

Have changing circumstances never led to you changing your mind and plans?

Morgana Fri 23-Jun-17 16:18:05

Heaven help the national health service if they all go back to their original countries.

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 16:26:19

What jane10 said.

petra Fri 23-Jun-17 16:29:08

What jane10 said.

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 16:29:43

I think it is more of having her mind changed for her. She is learning that hubris and bluster has no force in Brussels.

MaizieD Fri 23-Jun-17 17:19:54

I'm more interested in why she was blocking at that very early stage. After all, Cameron was still PM, 'supposedly the person t be leading on Brexit.

And why all that making out that she couldn't do it because the EU wouldn't reciprocate? She'd made up her mind before ever they were involved.

Why are you 'glad she did' ninny?

What difference has it made to make a lot of EU nationals in the UK very worried, to the extent that a great many have left, leaving the UK with a shortage of key professionals in the NHS, as well as people to pick our fruit and vegetables? And to make us look very uncaring and unpleasant in the eyes of the world...

I don't even think it's turned out to be much of a bargaining chip...

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 17:26:05

I think it is because she is mean spirited

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 17:27:33

Remember back in the 70s we joined because we were the sick man of Europe?
hmm

Jane10 Fri 23-Jun-17 18:09:22

She's not being 'mean spirited' - just pragmatic.

ninny Fri 23-Jun-17 18:14:36

Because we have to look after our own interests and citizens first and foremost. She has since made a good offer.

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 18:19:12

Pragmatic as in not really getting your ducks in line and being pushed into something your stronger opposition prefer?

Our best interests are to remain in the biggest trading partnership. It is not in our interest to attempt to deal with the WTO and all that implies.

MaizieD Fri 23-Jun-17 18:31:23

I'm sorry,*nnny*, I don't now (and never have) 'got'' how putting the UK citizens living in the EU in a deeply worrying position, denuding the NHS of much needed EU staff and causing a shortfall in workers in other industries (notably agriculture) has looked after the 'interests' of our country or our citizens.

Nor have you explained how this is benefiting us in Brexit negotiations.

ninny Fri 23-Jun-17 18:47:26

That's just your opinion whitewave and I and many others do not agree with you.
MaizieD I'm leaving the Brexit negotiations to the PM and her team whom​ I have every confidence will put Britains interest first and no I'm not particularly bothered about EU citizens rights here I'm more concerned with British citizens rights.

varian Fri 23-Jun-17 18:51:05

Oh ninny that's exactly the kind of inward looking prejudice that has got us into this mess, fostered by the Express, Sun and Daily Mail. It will not lead to a better future.

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 18:52:59

So ninny once we have left we are then potentially in a position to start negotiating trade deals.

Have you any idea how long it takes to negotiate a trade deal, and that with the supposition that the WTO is agreeable in relation to all other countries

ninny Fri 23-Jun-17 19:04:49

Varian that's just your bias bigoted opinion. whitewave I have no influence over trade deals nor do you let the politicians get on with it. Keep posting on here will make not one iota of difference to the negotiations.

whitewave Fri 23-Jun-17 19:11:23

ninny no it won't and neither will all the hubris and nonsense talked about by the hard right.

MaizieD Fri 23-Jun-17 19:18:12

ninny just which British citizens' rights is it protecting? Those of us who live here are fine; we don't need protecting. The ones who have a problem are those living abroad. I presume you don't care about them either?

And can you not see any connection between losing EU workers who are vital to the economy and the NHS and the diminishing of the 'interests' of us citizens who live in Britain?

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 19:37:48

I've just listened to this podcast on the issue. Fraser Nelson and Sunder Katwala are talking to Lara Prendergast.

Jane10 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:53:28

Brexit is a stupid thing to do. However, thats what the great British public voted for. All the nitpicking issue by issue and personalising your complaints is pointless. Let off steam if you want but as previously stated won't make a blind bit of difference.