Gransnet forums

News & politics

DUP negotiations

(247 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 26-Jun-17 10:01:39

I can't find the thread on this - probably a zombie one by now, they've been going on so long!

It's all gone very quiet - maybe the DUP have again stopped taking phone calls from their 'confidence & supply' partners.

Anyone heard anything?

durhamjen Thu 29-Jun-17 15:53:43

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40271763

Will these women get their money back?

durhamjen Thu 29-Jun-17 15:51:36

Interesting, devongirl. That just proves that the government was only concerned about getting votes.

Does May have to take on the Supreme Court, as it was only a fortnight ago that the Supreme Court said that women from Northern Ireland couldn't have free abortions?
Is that contempt of court?

devongirl Thu 29-Jun-17 15:42:44

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40438390

durhamjen Wed 28-Jun-17 20:20:02

If we leave the EU without a deal, Nissan will move. I understood the deal was no tariffs for car exporters. In other words, the government, i.e., the taxpayer, will pay the tax if there are any.

Tegan2 Wed 28-Jun-17 14:45:57

Seeing how much the government have 'paid' the
DUP has made me wonder how much Nissan were given to encourage them to keep their car production in this country post brexit? I wanted to know at the time and I want to know now.

varian Wed 28-Jun-17 13:12:43

I agree smileless that very few voters agree with everything in their party's manifesto, we chose the party whose views are closest to ours, often because we dislike the others more.

However both the Conservative and Labour parties encompass a wide range of views and in recent times the extremes seem to be dominant.

Your vote for the Conservatives can be used to justify all sorts of policies that you are actually against by TM claiming that she has a mandate.

I do not think that this country has been well served by two party politics. It would be far better for the country if both of the larger parties split into two or three coherent parties so that the voter is not forced to vote for negative reasons and can chose a party with which they largely agree.

Smileless2012 Wed 28-Jun-17 12:44:26

As a TM supporter which doesn't mean I support her whatever she does I've taken a good look at myself Gill as a woman, mother and GM and am the same person I was before the GE when I voted for the Conservatives for the first time in my life.

I'm disappointed about the agreement with the DUP but we need a Gov. that's strong enough to negotiate Brexit and not allow the EU to have carte blanche and have everything their own way, which incidentally is why I voted to leave.

Does anyone support everything their political party and it's leader stands for?

I have gay neighbours and friends; my brother is gay so I am a supporter of gay rights. I don't agree with a blanket ban on abortion, nor do I agree that it should be used as an after thought form of contraception when consensual intercourse has taken place but precautions to prevent an unwanted pregnancy weren't used. I don't agree that abortions can take place up to 24 weeks unless there are exceptional circumstances, some of which for example the mother's life being at risk, which can be carried out even later.

Not all Labour party supporters I'm sure, support everything that their party and JC stand for but if they do that's their right and I don't see why it should be considered necessary to suggest anyone take a good look at themselves because their political views differ from your own.

varian Wed 28-Jun-17 10:17:37

Another Tory woman

GillT57 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:12:35

Eloquent and forceful post Rigby. Chris Patten was openly calling this a 'bung' on BBC this morning, how much more blatant a criticism does there have to be before anyone in the cabinet takes notice of the widespread revulsion felt about this deal? Those of you who support TM whatever she does need to have a good look at yourselves, as women, as parents, as grandparents, can you seriously want to have these people on board? Throwing unfounded allegations about what Corbyn may or may not have said/done/agree with Sinn Fein/DUP/Paddy McGinty's goat is irrelevant and smacks of a desperate need to defend at any cost. I am an admirer of Ruth Davidson, especially after her vociferous Remain speeches, and wonder how she must feel, as a gay woman, seeing another woman doing this deal.

whitewave Wed 28-Jun-17 09:56:41

The first lot of votes are being bought today, when the DUP votes with the government against increased funding for the police, firefighters and the freeze on nurses pay.

I wonder how much those 10 votes will represent as they shake the money tree?

Eloethan Wed 28-Jun-17 09:53:21

Yes, they should do that - I wouldn't have thought there was any law that prevents them from doing so - unless political parties are given the option to veto such releases of information?

The fact is, no such deal was entered into - perhaps because it became apparent that it would threaten neutrality (though I would have thought that was obvious). Even if it proved to be uncomfortable for Labour, I don't see why it should reflect upon the current Labour administration.

It isn't just Labour that thinks this is a disreputable arrangement. Chris Patton was on the BBC this morning and he was expressing the same opinion (referring to the deal as "a bung") - several newspaper headlines appear to reflect that feeling.

FarNorth Wed 28-Jun-17 09:27:36

“Someday I’d like to think we might publish all of the correspondence and conversations we had in 2010 with the Labour frontbench, and in 2015 with the Labour frontbench and indeed the SNP as well.” Nigel Dodds, DUP deputy leader

inews.co.uk/essentials/news/politics/nigel-dodds-takes-aim-hypocrisy-highest-order-tory-dup-deal/

I hope the DUP does do that, rather than making hints.

Evertheoptimist Wed 28-Jun-17 07:23:04

Nigglynellie. As I stated before, Northern Ireland politics are very complicated. I do not like the DUP for all the same reasons stated above. However, some people see voting for this party as the only way to keep Sinn Fein out.
Paddyann - only mural I see on the internet with Arlene Fosters pic, is photoshopped. The point I was making is that I actually live in Belfast and have not seen the murals you are referring to.

nigglynellie Wed 28-Jun-17 06:51:56

There must be a considerable number of people in NI who agree with the DUP, otherwise how would they be the biggest political party there. Clearly they appeal to someone and while they do, unfortunately their policies will remain the same.

paddyann Wed 28-Jun-17 00:06:58

I think 4 of our six party leaders are gay in Scotland ,we have a very good record on LGBT matters.Maybe thats why Ruth has been so quiet this past week or so

Eloethan Tue 27-Jun-17 23:27:27

All sorts of statements are being made on here as to what Corbyn would do if he were in a similar position to May. These are opinions formed by people who don't support Corbyn or Labour - they are not facts, even though they are presented as such.

Even if no money had changed hands, there could have been nod nod wink wink deals on various party political issues. For all we know, such covert deals may have been made anyway.

Even though I thoroughly dislike what the DUP stands for, my main issue is the one that others have pointed to - that it is a nonsense to say that "rigorous impartiality" exists when the British government is now in hock to the DUP. I am astounded that any party would consider risking the fragile peace in Northern Ireland. And they say Corbyn is dangerous!

durhamjen Tue 27-Jun-17 23:22:00

I presume Ruth Davidson is going to marry her Irish-born partner in Scotland.

durhamjen Tue 27-Jun-17 23:17:53

Arlene Foster has asked Scotland not to allow Irish gay couples to get married there. I hope they told her where to go.

Rigby46 Tue 27-Jun-17 22:54:04

As I think I've made clear, I think the whole agreement is grubby and undemocratic and very unusual in its scope - not normal Uk politics at all. But I wanted to add that it is all the worst because I believe the DUP and what they stand for socially is wrong beyond measure. Everyone has the right to a view about abortion and gay rights but I will never believe that anyone has the right to force their beliefs on others through legislation. Like many of you on here, I have friends who happen to be gay. Some are in enduring loving relationships, some are not - just like my heterosexual friends. They are not evil nor are their sexual practices abominations - I do not believe for one moment that the state should decide on what sort of relationships they should form or what sexual practices they should be able to engage in within the obvious confines that apply to straight relationships. As for abortion - I was lucky, my dd was conceived within a loving relationship, I wanted her from the moment I first knew I was pregnant. I revelled in my pregnancy, the joy my changing body brought us, her birth on a glorious sunny day and there is not a day since then that I have not rejoiced in her existence. I had always been pro-choice- before abortion was legal and I read
of the hypocrisy of society where the rich went to discreet doctors and the poor went to the back streets or brought another child forth into despair and poverty. but having have my own child, I was even more passionately pro choice. The idea of any woman having to go through pregnancy and give birth when she doesn't want to appals me, but there must be a special,place in hell reserved for people like the DUP who refuse to countenance abortion even for a child, yes a child, raped by her grandfather.. if her mother tries to get abortion pills from the mainland, she faces jail( as some are at the moment) and if she wants to bring her dd over here for an abortion, it will cost about £900 because the Government will not permit abortions for such girls on the NHS. So apart from my rational democratic reasons for disagreeing with this deal, I have a much deeper emotional response to these 'people' whose beliefs force, yes force, children, girls and women to give birth whatever their wishes or circumstances. I am ashamed of our Government for dealing with them..

paddyann Tue 27-Jun-17 22:33:03

evertheoptomist google it ,just type Belfast mural with UDA and Arlene Foster on it and you might find a selection ..its not something I want to see here ,We had enough sectarian nonsense in Scotland we dont want it revived because of this

durhamjen Tue 27-Jun-17 22:30:23

'The so-called Good Friday Agreement (officially titled The Belfast Agreement) includes a firm and unequivocal commitment from all participants, including the British government:

‘rigorous impartiality‘, ‘just and equal treatment of the identity and ethos‘ of both nationalist and loyalist communities.

Not only does the mere fact of the existence of an agreement between the Tory government and the DUP breach the agreement (a legal challenge is already in preparation) – but the DUP (who also signed the commitment) has already been attacking and denigrating Sinn Fein’s practice of not taking their parliamentary seats because this would involve taking an oath to the British monarchy.'

This is why people are questioning the legality of it.

W11girl Tue 27-Jun-17 18:57:16

I am a Therese May supporter, but I do draw the line in "getting into bed" with the DUP, probably something to do with my Southern Irish ethnicity. However the the tories are officially the Conservative and Unionist party so.... I fear England, Wales and Scotland will lose out in many ways because of this move.

rosesarered Tue 27-Jun-17 18:55:45

Well, what are kind parents for?

Barmyoldbat Tue 27-Jun-17 18:52:50

he refused,. The offer was to pay for his MOT on his car

rosesarered Tue 27-Jun-17 18:45:37

Or fifty pence.grin