Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cliff Edge anyone?

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:31:33

This term gets bandied about in relation to Brexit without any of the consequences attached to it.

I have just done some research/ reading and thought it was time we all had the opportunity to discuss what exactly a "cliff edge Brexit" means and whether it can be taken seriously as a "no deal is better than a bad deal" deal.

So talks have failed and our government decides to go it alone.

It is day one of Britains great adventure

We have no trade deals with the EU or the rest of the world.
The economy goes into recession
We now have in front of us several years of negotiating trade deals both with our potentially biggest customer -Europe and the rest of the World.
Countries like Argentina and others that bear a grudge will block any dealings with the WTO.
Getting exports to Europe will become an absolute nightmare, as even if we have successfully arranged our borders for a post Brexit scenario, Europe has only just begun to get their border controls in place for the flow of goods to and from the UK.
The SE becomes a huge lorry park as good stand waiting to be processed. There is a potential for shortages to occur- particularly in relation to food, as there is only one port in Europe that is set up to deal with this commodity, and that is not yet functioning.
Issues like "country of origin" causes complete chaos for business and everything becomes a bureaucratic nightmare.
Flights are delayed/cancelled until the UK can do its own deals with regard to flight rights.
And of course as we have read only recently, nuclear material will dry up, threatening cancer and other treatment.

References are available on request????

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 09:52:53

"Britain's Brexit negotiating position is unclear after a general election which dealt a heavy blow to Theresa May's authority and in which the Tories lost their parliamentary majority, the president of the European Parliament said.

Antonio Tajani suggested the result had empowered supporters of a "softer" Brexit in the Government, such as Chancellor Philip Hammond, and has left the UK with a more "flexible" approach to its divorce with the European Union.

He raised the possibility of Britain staying in the European single market after the two-year Article 50 exit talks, which will end on March 29 2019 or before.

Mr Tajani said an agreement similar to those enjoyed by Switzerland or Norway was "possible to do", adding: "It's possible to decide on this after a negotiation." "

Tajani appears to agree with the Maltese president.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 09:52:51

Dyson gets over a million pa doesn't he?

My iPad keeps wanting to post dysentery instead of dyson grin

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 09:48:43

Farmers are beginning to realise that they have shot themselves in the foot over Brexit.
Do you know who gets the most in subsidy from the EU, and who stands to lose the most?
Dyson, who voted for Brexit, and is now telling Gove he should carry on giving subsidies to farmers.
Farmers only produce 0.9% of GDP.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:35:01

Re Hugo Rifkind's remarks I wonder if anyone else is noticing that we are getting fewer of the 'suck it up' remarks from those who voted to wreck our society and our economy.

Talk this-morning on Today of farmers beginning to realise what they have done.

petra Wed 02-Aug-17 09:34:36

Whitewave
The Maltese Presidency ended at the end of June, and I think Juncker would be a bit miffed if people thought he wasn't the 'leader'

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 09:32:37

Nothing good to say about leaving on the other thread, either.
You'd think if Brexit was that good an idea, instead of Rifkind's shit, that thread would be full up by now.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 09:08:39

Times reports

Fox's department has thrown £1million pounds during the past year,in an effort to recruit a team of expert negotiators. It is noticeable by a complete failure to date to recruit all but one.

Obviously the former disgraced minister, is not attractive enough to work for.

No surprises there.

MaizieD Wed 02-Aug-17 09:01:24

No the current leader is the Maltese PM.

I'm sure our Leaver friends will soon find something derogatory to say about him. When theres no rational argument go for the ad hominems

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 08:58:50

There is a cross push to stay in the EEA, hope this has some traction.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 08:55:30

No the current leader is the Maltese PM.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 08:54:39

Love this from Hugo Rifkind.

"I am fed up being told by people who shat in the bed to stop moaning and show some enthusiasm about living in shit"

petra Wed 02-Aug-17 08:51:58

Did juncker make that statement before or after wine o' clock.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 08:51:51

The Times has a report that May has been warned that cabinet warfare is having a serious and detrimental affect in progressing Brexit.

Brexiters are not engaging with the difficulties and complicated issues -probably not competent enough to do so -

There are reports that when a difficulty is brought up they "guffaw"!!!

They deride Hammond and insist that it is all dead easy. What fools.

rosesarered Wed 02-Aug-17 08:23:37

grin Well he would say that wouldn't he?
The tide is still the same.......wishful thinking to hope otherwise.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 07:59:02

The current leader of the EU doesn't think Brexit is going to happen as he says the tide has and is turning.

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 23:10:16

I read yesterday that estate agents are in trouble. Now one of the biggest is being taken over by a French bank.

www.fwi.co.uk/business/strutt-parker-taken-french-banks-property-arm.htm

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 22:47:12

This is good news for those who want a soft Brexit - or no Brexit at all.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/01/soft-brexit-policy-won-labour-votes-in-general-election-says-study

I just hope Labour realise and take note.

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 21:48:59

They did one about energy bills a week ago. I bet the results will be completely different today after the British Gas bombshell.

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 21:46:38

yougov.co.uk/news/2017/08/01/britain-nation-brexit-extremists/

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 21:41:52

Mostlyharmless, that was only leave voters, not all the population. It actually works out to be a very small percentage of the population that think like that.
Only 35% of the voting population voted leave. As the numbers asked are age weighted, it will only be about 7% of the voting population altogether.

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 21:36:02

The one that's in the Lambton Worm, whitewave. Not Gove; that's the person I dislike intensely.

mostlyharmless Tue 01-Aug-17 21:24:25

I find this hard to believe. People would really be happy to see their families losing jobs just so Brexit could be achieved?
Some of the article doesn't make sense anyway.
Did they ask the questions in an open way? I find some Yougov questions in their surveys are difficult to answer fairly because of the way they are worded.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-leave-voters-uk-economy-damage-yougov-older-pensioners-losing-jobs-income-taxes-a7870871.html

Penstemmon Tue 01-Aug-17 20:38:40

This is QI

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 20:37:03

Which one? Or can't you say?

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 20:35:00

Not going to buy an iPad. I dislike that word intensely.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion