Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cliff Edge anyone?

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:31:33

This term gets bandied about in relation to Brexit without any of the consequences attached to it.

I have just done some research/ reading and thought it was time we all had the opportunity to discuss what exactly a "cliff edge Brexit" means and whether it can be taken seriously as a "no deal is better than a bad deal" deal.

So talks have failed and our government decides to go it alone.

It is day one of Britains great adventure

We have no trade deals with the EU or the rest of the world.
The economy goes into recession
We now have in front of us several years of negotiating trade deals both with our potentially biggest customer -Europe and the rest of the World.
Countries like Argentina and others that bear a grudge will block any dealings with the WTO.
Getting exports to Europe will become an absolute nightmare, as even if we have successfully arranged our borders for a post Brexit scenario, Europe has only just begun to get their border controls in place for the flow of goods to and from the UK.
The SE becomes a huge lorry park as good stand waiting to be processed. There is a potential for shortages to occur- particularly in relation to food, as there is only one port in Europe that is set up to deal with this commodity, and that is not yet functioning.
Issues like "country of origin" causes complete chaos for business and everything becomes a bureaucratic nightmare.
Flights are delayed/cancelled until the UK can do its own deals with regard to flight rights.
And of course as we have read only recently, nuclear material will dry up, threatening cancer and other treatment.

References are available on request????

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:34:32

Other issues like labour shortage becomes accuse, with the NHS in free fall.

Crops rot in the fields, until local volunteers try to help the farmers by giving a hand in the harvest.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:34:58

-accuse- acute

Welshwife Fri 30-Jun-17 07:41:43

Just makes you feel sick inside.!!
Did you watch Liam Fox on Question time last night - bringing up the chestnut of &2% voted for a Brexit party! 48% or more had no party to actually vote for. Also if Brexit is such a good deal what are the MPsnot allowed a free vote instead of a three line whip?
I am glad I did not vote for Labour now - even though I theoretically wasted my vote.

Welshwife Fri 30-Jun-17 07:42:42

We can only hope that some leaving time is allowed within which one or two deals are brokered.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:45:21

Yes this scenario is the "no Deal" scenario, so beloved of our illustrious prime minister.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:46:36

But in any case I think it gives a very tiny glimpse of what is going to have to be achieved in the year remaining. I would argue utterly impossible.

suzied Fri 30-Jun-17 07:51:45

You've forgotten that the main prop of our low productivity economy, the financial sector, will be weakened as major international financial institutions relocate to Dublin, Frankfurt etc.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:54:10

Oh God yes!!!! How could I have forgotten that?

We are doomed

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:56:56

There is also an article today titled "the great Brexidus" and makes total sense.

Our skilled and well educated young and not so young will bugger off to seek a better life elsewhere.

Why wouldn't they?

Cindersdad Fri 30-Jun-17 08:01:46

Agree WW but what can we do. I was watching Question Time last night on BBC1 and was utterly dismayed by the lack of reality among the majority of MP's.

Liam Fox going on about 82% in favour of a hard Brexit. Yes but hwy did the 82% vote way - because they can't stand each other. Relatively few actually voted for the party they believed in but rather against the party they loathed. I despise both the main parties and their sheep like MP's towing the party lines against their own beliefs. We know what's wrong we just don't have a means of getting the message through so they listen.

When Brexit has happened, the NHS has fallen deeper into disarray the politicians will blame each other and the people will still suffer.

i knows from my work experience after things have gone wrong saying "I told you so...." wins no friends.

On Gransnet we rant to those who tend to agree with us which in the grand scheme of things achieves. little aside from spleen venting.

Write to the press/media - they normally ignore you.

Write to your MP - he/she generally ignores you too.

Join a mass protest if you live near London. You are branded a hooligan.

Rocks and hard places, cliff edges etc. all come too mind.

STILL NO ONE LISTENS.

Welshwife Fri 30-Jun-17 08:03:29

Exactly WW - if I was young I would do an intensive language course which included business language and get a job elsewhere.

Going out shopping in a mo so will catch up later.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 08:05:25

I think it really is time we got more actively involved somehow though. Otherwise we are laying back and thinking if England - or not.

It really is incredibly worrying if not disastrous.

MaizieD Fri 30-Jun-17 08:18:10

STILL NO ONE LISTENS.

"Will of the people, mate" They can't possibly ignore that, can they? (even though 'the people' may well be changing their minds...)

Also, judging by the Leavers on here, Leavers truly believe that whitewave's list is either Remainers' fantasy/wishful thinking, or, that whatever benefits they believe Brexit will bring will far outweigh the downside.

suzied Fri 30-Jun-17 08:20:33

But hey we'll have fewer of those pesky furriners, as no one will want to come here anyway.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 08:21:01

Well if the Leavers believes this is fantasies , I challenge them to outline an alternative in the event of a cliff edge or no deal.

Anya Fri 30-Jun-17 08:25:30

Depends how high your cliff is I suppose.

Wanders off singing 'he jumped from 40,000 feet without a parachute' .......

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 08:28:35

anya I assume he died poor soul

Anya Fri 30-Jun-17 08:33:46

I think 'he landed on the Tarmac like a lump of strawberry jam' ...if I remember the song correctly. But I will stand corrected if others say so - it tended to be sung on coaches ferrying us back from outings in the 60s and that was long time ago and we had imbibed plenty of orange juice.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 08:36:14

Hope that isn't a metaphors for a no deal sad

MaizieD Fri 30-Jun-17 08:48:57

'Glory, glory what a luverly way to go..'

Something for everybody in that song grin

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 08:51:11

Only 18 months to go!!

How are we doing so far? Have we even dealt successfully with the first issue yet?

No? Oh dear

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 09:14:44

It's the fault of British business not doing enough preparation for Brexit yet, didn't you know?

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/29/uk-firms-failing-prepare-regulation-changes-brexit/

Well, it is according to the Telegraph, owned by those well known Europhiles, the Barclay brothers.

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 09:17:21

Anyway, it doesn't matter because we don't want to buy anything anyway.

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-29/u-k-consumer-confidence-drops-to-lowest-level-since-brexit-vote

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 09:19:33

Bad news for British tie-makers as well. MPs no longer have to wear them.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion