Gransnet forums

News & politics

Deselection issue in Labour Party with respect to Luciana Berger

(179 Posts)
Baggs Fri 07-Jul-17 10:43:37

Liverpool Labour MP, Luciana Berger, got 34,717 votes (four fifths of the total) in the recent General Election. Local supporters of Jeremy Corbyn, members of the far left group, Momentum, who have nine of the ten executive committee places in Berger's constituency party, think she should be deselected because of her criticisms of JC's performance in the EU Referendum (she resigned from the Shadow Cabinet in protest).

I think her deselection, based on the opinions of these nine people, would be completely anti-democratic: an assault on the principles of representative democracy. Berger was chosen by her constituents to represent them. It is to them that she is accountable.

The activists controlling her local Party are demanding she apologise for not supporting JC "in the past". They clearly have no understanding of the irony of their stance: JC's parliamentary career is thickly littered with evidence of his lack of support for the Party leadership.

yggdrasil Mon 10-Jul-17 14:52:06

Just put 'MP Maternity leave' into Google and you will get all the information you want and more:-)

trisher Mon 10-Jul-17 15:11:36

My MP was on maternity leave during the last parliament. It didn't seem to make much difference. Her office handled things I think. She probably set up a voting arrangement with one of the opposition (which has always happened). It does make you think that actually the MP is a bit surplus to requirements and things work out very well without them!

Ilovecheese Mon 10-Jul-17 15:36:23

Thank you