Gransnet forums

News & politics

A look at Momentum

(73 Posts)
whitewave Mon 10-Jul-17 10:18:59

There is a lot of accusations that have flown around GN, concerning this movement.

I will put my hands up and say that I know very little about Momentum - never really been that interested if I'm honest, except that I do know that they support JC.

We know that the Labour Party has always been a very broad church, but arguably has leaned more and more to the right, from probably the Thatcher period. This meant that those members on the left of the party which was so dominant during the formation of the Welfare State and post war period, felt that their voice was no longer being heard. LP left wing members always existed of course but their arguments were drowned out particularly by the Blair period.

After the Labour defeat in 2015 Jeremy Corbyn became to the surprise to all the Labour Leader.

It became clear that many people having listened to his arguments (just as they did in the last election) were convinced of his arguments. Hundreds of thousands joined the LP as a result.

One of JC arguments is that the LP should become more democratic, by becoming a bottom up party rather than a top down. The members should feel that they have a positive contribution to LP policies, at local level. It should have grass roots appeal.

4 weeks after JC was elected, Momentum was formed, to try to appeal to the very grass roots that JC was talking about. It's constitution is to support the LP, and in order to become a member of Momentum you must also be a member of the LP.

It's primary purpose is to enthuse and support the LP at grass roots level.
It has a constitution and code of conduct.

They actively exclude far left groups and any attemp to take over this left of centre movement.

With regards to de-selection.

I quote from Momentums constitution

" we will not campaign for the de-selection of any MP and will not merit local Momentum groups to do so.
The election of candidates is entirely a matter for Labour Party local members and rightly so"

A leader of Birminghams Momentumsaid
" to threaten de-selection is likely to cause fear and division, because if you threaten an MPs job, they will stop listening"

That is not what Momentum is about.

Anniebach Thu 13-Jul-17 13:57:02

Did you not read the link from the guardian I posted Whitewave ? Perhaps you chose not to because you consider the guardian to be gutter press

bmacca Thu 13-Jul-17 13:57:58

It is obvious that some will cling on to whatever tainted view they've arrived at, I assume from reading/watching mainstream media, despite their lack of knowledge. I'm sure there may be professionals who are Communists etc but given that these are usually strongly held views, they are highly unlikely to join Momentum which is solely about supporting the Labour Party.

Anniebach Thu 13-Jul-17 14:07:10

You believe communists will not join the Labour Party? One of Corbyns closest advisors left the communist party to join the Labour Party so he could work for Corbyn.

whitewave Thu 13-Jul-17 14:09:57

primrose do you want to debate about momentum or whether and how much I knew about momentum before starting this thread?

What I said in my reply was entirely true. You can if you wish refuse to believe me, but I see that as entirely your oroblem and not mine.

Primrose65 Thu 13-Jul-17 14:35:14

It's disappointing ww, that's all.

Either you feel the need to berate people on forums about stuff you don't care about and know nothing about (unlikely), or you feel the need to lie about stuff in order to create a fake debate (more probable).
Denying it just really puts me off, which is a shame as you've probably got some interesting ideas.
I'd love to debate about Momentum, but not with someone who can't be honest.

Lazigirl Thu 13-Jul-17 14:36:42

I am not a Momentum but a LP member and your experience matches mine bmacca. The Momentum members that I have met are not extremists or troublemakers, but are very keen and have reinvigorated our local LP working extremely hard during the recent election which resulted in a much better result than expected. Many are professional people who over the years, had become disenchanted and as the OP indicated, felt that until recently their views were not being represented. The stereotype of the communist hard left fits with the agenda of some, but is not born out in my personal experience.

Rigby46 Thu 13-Jul-17 14:50:12

Primrose how dare you call ww dishonest and a liar? FFS

Rigby46 Thu 13-Jul-17 14:51:01

And I bet you could really debate meaningfully about Momentum - not

whitewave Thu 13-Jul-17 14:54:53

I've reported the post rig

whitewave Thu 13-Jul-17 15:38:50

I have been advised by HQ that the post calling me a liar does not break the guidlines. Which I find somewhat surprising

However as I advised primrose whether she believes me or not is her problem. I am entirely relaxed about her inability to raise her debating skills much above the primary level.

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 18:23:07

So are you still saying I lied

Primrose65 Sun 16-Jul-17 18:28:44

Where did I say that?

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 18:31:56

I'm not playing games * primrose* you either have the integrity to discuss your comment or you don't

Primrose65 Sun 16-Jul-17 18:33:47

I want to make sure we're both discussing the same thing. I've made a lot of comments.
Just cut and paste the post you're talking about for clarity.

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 18:35:35

Still playing games? As hq spoke to you you know exactly which one.

Primrose65 Sun 16-Jul-17 18:39:23

Which post?

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 18:45:35

OK forget it. You are without integrity.

Baggs Sun 16-Jul-17 19:05:26

So, a discursive speculation by Primrose is beyond the pale but telling her she is without integrity isn't?

Some one without integrity tells lies. I don't see the difference between the two positions.

I'd call that quits.

rosesarered Sun 16-Jul-17 19:09:23

Time to move on IMHO.

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 19:16:56

What other option do I have as she won't discuss the issue in an open and adult manner?

Primrose65 Sun 16-Jul-17 19:27:13

Happy to discuss.

MaizieD Sun 16-Jul-17 20:06:25

Here, Primrose. It's only a few posts up from these so I don't know how you missed it (and you wrote it)

^Either you feel the need to berate people on forums about stuff you don't care about and know nothing about (unlikely), or you feel the need to lie about stuff in order to create a fake debate (more probable).
Denying it just really puts me off, which is a shame as you've probably got some interesting ideas.
I'd love to debate about Momentum, but not with someone who can't be honest.^