Gransnet forums

News & politics

How much will a flight cost after Brexit?

(331 Posts)
trisher Fri 14-Jul-17 13:51:03

With Ryan Air stating that it may not fly to the EU from Britain after Brexit and easyjet setting up an operation in Austria are we looking towards a time when there will be no cheap flights to EU countries?

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Jul-17 17:47:01

It seems to be a nice little earner for the LEA to me. Holiday time prices have been hiked up so high now it's generally worth paying the fine. Taking them out a week before the end of term saves a packet and most often little learning takes place in those last few days.

trisher Sat 22-Jul-17 12:32:02

Oh damn missed space www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/school-holiday-fines

trisher Sat 22-Jul-17 12:31:31

Hi gillybob it's Martin Lewis- money saving expert-http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/school-holiday-fines

gillybob Fri 21-Jul-17 23:49:49

Good idea chewy. Thanks I might just do that.

My DS and DDiL were fined last year 2016 for taking their children out of school for a week. It was a big family wedding and over 30 family members attended. Out of 6 school age children who attended only my DS and DDiL were fined as their children's school refused to authorize the absence. It surely has to be across the board or not at all. Mind you happy for those that got away with it.

MaizieD Fri 21-Jul-17 23:48:03

Of course the money won't go to the school. It'll go into the LA's coffers. It probably just covers the admin costs plus a small excess.

gillybob Fri 21-Jul-17 23:44:01

trisher I am very interested in the last paragraph of you last post. Could you tell me where this information is from please? Is there somewhere I could copy it from ? Thank you . smile

Chewbacca Fri 21-Jul-17 23:43:22

Might be worth making a Freedom of information application gillybob , they would have to divulge where the money went then.

gillybob Fri 21-Jul-17 23:41:29

These rules only apply if the head does not "authorise" the absence. In both examples I gave the head (the same one) authorized the absences for family holidays.

I asked what happened to the fine money and was told it does not go to the school but they (the local authority) would not/ could not tell me where it went.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 21-Jul-17 23:34:02

Primrose that article is interesting. My understanding is the issue here in the UK parents want to take their children out of school so they pay less for a holiday. Reading the article, it doesn't appear that's the driver in other countries. It might be the way the question was asked though.

Chewbacca Manchester flies a lot of long haul routes and wants to expand that part of the business, so Europe might not be a major factor in the expansion. It needs more capacity to make use of the largest planes. It looks amazing!

Chewbacca Fri 21-Jul-17 20:34:42

Work has begun on the £1billion super terminal at Manchester Airport. Surely if flights were going to be reduced from the UK to Europe, major international airports wouldn't be investing such large amounts of money in expansion.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/work-starting-new-1bn-super-13362256

trisher Fri 21-Jul-17 18:44:13

It is the LEA who decides if there should be a fine, not the HT. Things were tightened up in 2013
Schools used to have the discretion to allow up to 10 days' term-time holiday each year in 'special circumstances'. The rules were tightened in Sept 2013 though – now head teachers at state schools in England can only give permission for term-time absences in "exceptional circumstances".

These could include visiting seriously ill family, attending a close family member's funeral or if a family member's in the Armed Forces and returning from operations. The Department for Education says you're "unlikely" to get permission simply for a family holiday.

There are also a number of allowances made under the law stating when your child can be absent. These are if they are sick, they are off for a day for a religious observance, they have no fixed address or if the child doesn't live within walking distance of the school (for under-eights this is two miles, for over-eights it's three miles) and the local authority didn't provide transport, boarding accommodation or the option for them to go to a closer school.

Primrose65 Fri 21-Jul-17 10:49:19

It's interesting to see how it varies across the world. I was shocked about the recommendation to get a letter from the school in Germany!
mumsdotravel.com/2015/01/term-time-family-holidays-international-view/

gillybob Fri 21-Jul-17 10:31:20

They do have some leeway trisher my DGC' s cousin wasn't fined . My neighbour wasn't fined ( she said it was because the children's father is a police officer and they need the time off together more) . Her words when I asked how she "got away with it" ?

Chewbacca Fri 21-Jul-17 10:30:21

Wasn't "blaming" anyone trisher, just posting an experience, like you do.......

Norah Fri 21-Jul-17 10:29:01

I believe supply and demand takes care of the flight situation, no?

trisher Fri 21-Jul-17 10:05:00

Well blame the government for that headteachers have very little leeway now. Especially after the Supreme Court ruling.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Jul-17 09:49:05

Agreed Gillybob . DGs school broke up the 23rd December last Christmas holidays, just 2 days before. One family had wanted to fly out to spend Christmas with family in Spain but they were told that they would be fined £60 per child if they missed any school days. The prohibitive cost of flying anywhere on Christmas Eve meant that they saw no extended family last year.

gillybob Fri 21-Jul-17 09:41:27

S'okay Nfk I wasn't trying to be deliberately controversial (promise) it's just I feel sorry for families who can't do right for doing wrong and really only want a few days holiday together.

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Jul-17 09:36:33

Great post Day6. With you all the way.

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Jul-17 09:30:52

Don't get me started on that one Gilly!!

rosesarered Fri 21-Jul-17 09:13:06

Wonderful post Day6 and not what a lot of people want to hear ( the truth rarely is) when it gets in the way of a good story.

gillybob Fri 21-Jul-17 08:48:37

That's because of the ridiculous fines imposed on parents who want to have a holiday with their children during school time. My DGC have done nothing much this last week. Eldest had her little prom which she would have been sad to miss but other than that they have mainly played, tidied, watched films etc. what hardship to take a child on holiday this week (or last) ?

It's not fair to impose controls on flights for people who through no fault of their own are forced to take their usually one holiday a year at the same/similar times.

Primrose65 Fri 21-Jul-17 08:30:27

Yes, I heard that too. The busiest day for flights apparently.

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Jul-17 08:10:28

Going back to the OP. Did I just here right on the radio? With the start of the school hols 8,800 flights are leaving the UK today? Perhaps we need something to control and slow flights!

trisher Wed 19-Jul-17 10:11:37

As the far as housing goes a vast majority of the 10 would be in London of course, where most people under the age of 35 are struggling to meet accommodation costs. Then there are young people in rural communities who simply know they will never afford housing in the area they come from. As far as a commute goes it could be a distance or a cost that dictates that and the hours that are worked.