Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC transparency

(206 Posts)
gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 08:27:42

Details of salaries of those "stars" working for the BBC who earn over (I believe) £150,000 will be published today .

Do we have the right to question these salaries considering that we as license payers are paying them?

Elegran Mon 24-Jul-17 12:04:01

There you are then. The Beeb is aware and working on it. But they do have to renegotiate (which implies talking about it to the employee and reaching mutually agreeable solution), not just say "Your pay has been cut because of your skin colour.

whitewave Mon 24-Jul-17 12:05:12

I would still rather they paid for quality programmes than overpaid presenters.

durhamjen Mon 24-Jul-17 12:17:11

Sorry, elegran, but who has said that anyone's pay should be cut because of their skin colour?
You do get hung up on some strange ideas.
Toby Young recognised that those at the top are all white middleclass men. He's right. Nothing wrong with recognising that.
By the way, it would be illegal, just as it's illegal to say a woman gets less pay because of her sex, but we all know it happens. This has at least brought both problems more into the open.

Ofcom are being asked to look into the problem of racist bias in BBC pay.

durhamjen Mon 24-Jul-17 12:23:40

"Conservative former minister Anna Soubry, who used to be a television presenter, said she kept a “very beady eye” on pay levels when she was a mother of the chapel at a branch of the National Union of Journalists. “I just wonder whether or not the de-unionisation of many places of work ... they played an important point in making sure there was fairness,” she said."

I wonder if she is in the right party.

Elegran Mon 24-Jul-17 12:34:36

I was putting together two things which seem to me to be very closely connected, dj That these are white middle-aged men who are getting more than the non-whites, and that therefore their pay should be cut. Ergo, that they should get a paycut because they are white and middle class.

Tha has been the tone of posts on here.