Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government Watch - 2

(967 Posts)
whitewave Wed 26-Jul-17 13:27:27

Very much needed.

First happy thing to report.

Unison have won their case making it illegal to charge employees for employment litigation. Introduced by the Tories in 2013.

The judges quite rightly said it was wrong to make it difficult/impossible for anyone to resort to law.

Those who paid will be reimbursed.

whitewave Sun 30-Jul-17 12:14:55

Been reading a lot about Trump recently to catch up with what is going on in the USA. It occurs to me and I fervently hope that Fox and May are no too stupid to understand that Trumps word means absolutely nothing at all.

Wouldnt hold your breath though

Ginny42 Mon 31-Jul-17 07:17:55

I was unfairly and unlawfully dismissed and I won compensation from the employer. It was paid for by my house insurance which had the legal representation clause. In my case £50,000. I had paid house insurance for donkey's years and never claimed for anything, but it was the best advice I ever had from a solicitor who told me to check it. It paid for a solicitor and a barrister. If you know anyone in the situation of being unfairly dismissed advise them to check their house insurance.

In my case the employer was entirely in the wrong and it was proven in the tribunal. However the price I paid for my loss of professional confidence was great. It took me a long time and a lot of counselling to overcome the 'shame' of being sacked. Evidence showed I didn't deserve it but it eats away at your self confidence. Happily I returned to a better job in a far higher position some time later and have entirely banished the vampires of unfair dismissal.

whitewave Mon 31-Jul-17 07:50:44

I read that Hammond has drawn back from the Tories unpleasant little plan of making the UK a low tax, low regulatory, low welfare economy.

That won't please a lot of greedy Tories will it?

whitewave Mon 31-Jul-17 07:55:12

ginny the good thing is that it turned out alright in the end. The trouble is that it doesn't happen to everyone, which must be shattering, especially if you are like my dil, who is extremely competent, reliable, hard working and someone who is highly rated by Ofsted then the whole experience is appalling. I am unclear how people like her ex-employer can live with themselves.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 09:37:40

Pleased for you, Ginny.
Quite a few people who have lost their jobs unfairly try crowdfunding to be able to pay for tribunals. I am pleased they will not have to any more.

Hope this comes true. From Richard Murphy on taxresearch.

"I suspect this fragile consensus will hold as yet desire the massive political in-fighting that is now apparent. The question is how long ‘as yet’ implies. My own instinct is it means until October. To put it another way, that means Tory party conference. However well stage managed this exercise in lauding the duly chosen ‘dear leader’ usually is I cannot see that veneer surviving the pressure this year. The Tory party fringe is going to be riven with open hostility. It is hard to see how that can be prevented from spilling over into public dissent. And from where the support for May will come in all this is very hard to imagine. It is very obviously absent already. In that case it will take quite extraordinarily thick skin for May to survive this.

It may also take ability beyond even the Tory instinct for power to keep the party intact as well. The Brexit hard line and Hammond pragmatic dealers seem so far apart that the chance of reconciliation appears remote in the extreme. If May cannot hold them together, whether she’s herself a lame duck or not, leaves the prospect of unity around any other candidate very hard to imagine. Cameron’s ultimate failure would be a split Tory party, something not known in modern history but for which the Corn Laws provide resonant precedent. I am not, of course, sure it will happen. But I certainly think it possible. And with it the government would fall."

whitewave Mon 31-Jul-17 09:51:52

Can anyone fill me in on the rumour that Johnson is/is not going to resign?

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 09:59:24

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/30/tensions-flare-in-cabinet-over-post-brexit-free-movement

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 10:02:29

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/30/boris-johnson-vince-cable-trade-barbs-resignation-rumours

Johnson says he is not going to resign and has called Cable a liar.
Johnson said he was going to vote remain.
Johnson said he was going to stand for PM.

Do we believe what Johnson says?

Smileless2012 Mon 31-Jul-17 10:51:11

Good for you Ginnysmile and good advice about house insurance; I never knew that.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 10:56:21

" Doctors have warned that plans for “brutal” NHS cuts are shrouded in secrecy and will cause uproar once revealed.

The British Medical Association (BMA) says health service leaders have refused to publish details of the proposals that could extend waiting times, reduce access to services, cut down on prescriptions and treatments, and even merge or close hospitals and facilities.

The proposals are being discussed under the capped expenditure process, which was introduced this year to cap NHS spending in some areas in order to meet so-called “control total” budgets in 2017-18.

The BMA submitted Freedom of Information requests to NHS Improvement and each of the 13 areas, asking for the proposal documents.

Eight of the 13 areas responded but, according to the BMA, none of them provided the full document or any significant details."

Is this why Hunt has resurfaced?

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 11:14:58

www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/30/tory-mp-and-former-minister-speaks-out-against-tax-increases

Another one trying to get in on it. Is this why Hammond has changed his mind, because he needs to keep backbenchers onside?

whitewave Mon 31-Jul-17 11:15:38

Then if it is true about the brutal NHS cuts someone needs to be the whistle blower. We the tax payer are entitled to know.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 11:56:58

Not sure if I've seen this anywhere other than on this website.

www.24housing.co.uk/news/calls-to-halt-roll-out-of-uc/

IDS's changes have caused a real problem with those on Universal Credit.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 12:01:23

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jul/28/nhs-accused-of-shrouding-500m-of-planned-cuts-in-secrecy

"A spokesperson for NHS Improvement said: “We are committed to openness and work hard to engage with the public and stakeholders on a wide range of work done to support the NHS.” "

So who do you believe?

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 12:29:28

The government obviously is not bothered that it only has a small majority in the commons.

labourlist.org/2017/07/tory-obsession-with-rail-privatisation-risks-passenger-safety-cortes-says/

Still wants to privatise the railways, with the taxpayer bearing the cost and paying profits to shareholders.

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 12:29:54

labourlist.org/2017/08/train-overcrowding-hits-record-levels/

Primrose65 Tue 01-Aug-17 13:02:44

At least it explains why there's massive infrastructure investment needed in London.

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 19:20:22

nhsfunding.info/

What the government is doing to the NHS.

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 19:53:43

nhsfunding.info/staffing/nearly-40-per-cent-gps-plan-leave-nhs-within-five-years/

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 18:04:30

Anyone vote for the Tories because they promised a cap on energy prices?

politicalscrapbook.net/2017/08/gasbags-tories-break-manifesto-promise-on-energy-prices/

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 22:31:31

Very appropriate.

whitewave Thu 03-Aug-17 08:05:08

grin sounds a bit Harry Potterish.

durhamjen Thu 03-Aug-17 11:07:06

The other one is
"The light at the end of the tunnel just might be a train."

Even more Harry Potter.

whitewave Thu 03-Aug-17 11:09:08

Just read that they have failed to do a deal with pairing up of Labour/Tory MPs when voting. This will put more pressure on the government.

whitewave Thu 03-Aug-17 13:03:28

Growth and wages rate downgraded sad