Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump

(104 Posts)
whitewave Wed 26-Jul-17 15:41:39

Thought it might be worthwhile starting another thread. I haven't been keeping up with what's going on as there is do much happening everywhere!!
But what made me prick up my ears was an interview with Professor Lichtman who was talking about impeachment and treason.

He thinks that they are treading very close to Treason. Collusion with Russian will mean treason.

There is circumstantial proof of conclusion.

What interesting if unpleasant times we are living through.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 20:11:45

The shock move follows a turbulent series of media appearances over the last week, capped by a foul-mouthed tirade to a New Yorker journalist last Thursday, and comes just hours after the appointment of Gen John Kelly as Trump’s chief of staff.
The decision to remove Scaramucci, nicknamed “the Mooch”, came at Kelly’s request, the New York Times reported. It is not clear whether Scaramucci will remain employed at the White House in another position or leave altogether, the paper added.

I wonder if it was done by tweet.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 20:09:37

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/31/anthony-scaramucci-removed-white-house-communications-trump

whitewave Mon 31-Jul-17 20:05:37

Don't know the reason as s'tenders is on

Ana Mon 31-Jul-17 20:05:17

Not sure why you think it's so funny, whitewave.

Jalima1108 Mon 31-Jul-17 20:04:54

not that I was in favour of Scaramucci, please understand that!

It's just that ..... speechless.

Wait for the next episode of White Housenders

Jalima1108 Mon 31-Jul-17 20:02:22

What??

You can't be serious

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or start digging out a bunker.

whitewave Mon 31-Jul-17 20:00:55

Scaramucci gonegrin

durhamjen Sun 30-Jul-17 14:46:15

My grandson was here this morning, and he read something about Trump and his tweets.
So we looked at his accounts.
He tweets on realdonaldtrump. then retweets himself onto potus.
My grandson was falling about laughing at the idea of him sacking someone by tweet, and how all those who work in the White House will have to watch twitter all the time, to find out if they still have jobs.
His worst tweets are to the Republicans to get them to back him to get rid of Obamacare.
Is trump ever doing any proper political work?

Then we looked at Obama's twitter account. Very restrained, and presidential.

Smileless2012 Sun 30-Jul-17 09:31:54

It must be very demoralising for transgenders serving in America's forces to know that their president doesn't want them even though they're prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice if called upon to do so.

whitewave Sun 30-Jul-17 09:23:38

So clearing of the WH continues apace. Trump now has alt right pursuers on the one hand like Bannon, and democratic leaners on the other like Scaramucci. The war will continue until one faction entirely sees off the other. My money is on the democratic faction, but who knows.

The interesting thing will be how the Republicans react, as they seem to be almost entirely locked out of the WH except for the very conservative Pence. More Russian sanctions voted through will not have endeared them to Trump.

Trump continues tweeting, and annoying. Transgender groups will be alarmed but in actual fact there is nothing Trump can do without congress approval, so that was a storm in the tea cup.

Next week doesn't look to be any calmer.

Ginny42 Sun 30-Jul-17 07:14:56

This thread is the most informative I have ever read on GN. Some excellent contributions with information I didn't know, so I've learned a lot. Thanks to all for such knowledgeable posts.

I have been busy elsewhere caring for family for a few weeks and just catching up with GN. What an excellent read this morning with my breakfast in bed.

On the matter of transgender personnel in the military, all personnel are prepared to put themselves in danger if called upon for the protection of others, regardless of their sex/gender.

Elegran Sat 29-Jul-17 20:33:03

I don't think you need any sinister groups. Ordinary human nature, when faced with personal struggles, inequality, economic uncertainty, violent attacks and leaders who don't seem able to make any difference, is to want a change and to fal in behind someone who promises to make it all go away and return to a mythical golden past. They can't, of course, whatever country they are leading.

whitewave Sat 29-Jul-17 19:42:09

willa it seems .that there is a deep malaise amongst certain of the population, and even if Trump goes, I don't think it will make any difference. Have you read the book by Jane Mayers(sp) called "Dark Money" about the sinister group of people who are determined to change the face and ensure the decline of liberal democrac? Trump is the symptom of the issue but he is only a player. I think you have to look at those behind like Bannon or Banks - a bit player.

Smileless2012 Sat 29-Jul-17 19:00:16

Would they have couples on the same aircraft carrier? I assumed that a married couple wouldn't be able to serve together on the same ship etc.

Deedaa Sat 29-Jul-17 18:54:00

I don't know if there were any transgenders in the US Navy when my SiL was in it, but I remember him telling me they had a relationship counseller on his aircraft carrier for the gay couples.

durhamjen Sat 29-Jul-17 16:57:27

inews.co.uk/essentials/news/world/scaramuccis-wife-files-divorce-dislike-trump/

willa45 Sat 29-Jul-17 13:48:35

If we examine the bigger picture, Populism seems to be on the rise and first world countries are experiencing the exact same issues to varying degrees.

I'm talking about phenomena such as narrow elections being 'won' by unlikely candidates, real estate languishing in moderately priced markets yet thriving in the multi million currency range, unprecedented highs in stock markets with no end in sight, unfettered monopolies in the industrial sector, the increasing deregulation of banks and an ever widening socioeconomic divide.

Is there a larger force at work here or mere coincidence?

durhamjen Sat 29-Jul-17 09:27:19

Can you imagine the uproar if May said that police could be allowed to bang suspects heads on car doors?

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-police-brutality_us_597b840fe4b02a8434b6575a

durhamjen Sat 29-Jul-17 09:12:31

Willa, that's not difficult. Trump has slumped to his lowest ever!

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-weak-obamacare_us_597b7265e4b02a8434b645c1

BlueBelle Sat 29-Jul-17 08:48:30

Whitewave you may not be able to imagine no health care in Uk but I think you will be living it very soon if you go into it you will find much of the NHS has already been siphoned off it won't take long for the Tories backed by the awful Farage and his messed up party to complete the decimation of it

whitewave Sat 29-Jul-17 08:20:06

Thanks for that willa that's the impression that I got. It wasn't too popular until it was in danger of being withdrawn. I read that many will suffer if it is withdrawn.

We can't imagine in the UK what it would be like to have no health care shock it seems very hard for poor families, especially if you have a sick child.

So the latest resignation -Priebus - no surprises there. Is there any old style republicans left in the White House!? Well Spence I suppose. He is very conservative apparently - or extreme right wing?

Next fiasco is the budget!!

willa45 Sat 29-Jul-17 02:55:39

Whitewave....Surprisingly, Obamacare (Affordable Healthcare Act) popularity has improved since the Republican party began trying to tear it down without fully weighing consequences. These days, Obamacare seems to enjoy more popularity than our current President! smile

The steady rise in insurance premiums and deductibles is one of the biggest complaints. There are other issues with the Insurance exchange but I don't understand those entirely. Obamacare serves those who haven't reached retirement age (65) and it does seem to be working for many people as well as employers.

Fixing the parts of Obamacare that aren't broken won't serve anyone and neither will repealing it altogether unless they can come up with something better. So far, they've come up short.

whitewave Fri 28-Jul-17 19:57:17

The Joseph Rowntree Trust described a typical Brexit voter and I bet it could also be describing a Trump voter.

"The more disadvantaged voter that turned out for Brexit are also united by values that encourage support for socially conservative, authoritarianism and nativist responses. On the whole Leave supporters have more in common with each other than divided them. Over three quarters of Leave voters are disallusioned with politicians: two thirds support the death penalty; and well over half feel very English" (American)

History will or already does show this phenomena which has resulted in a period of instability and at least in the UK, economic decline

whitewave Fri 28-Jul-17 19:40:14

mimiro that's the same age range that voted for Brexit. What a strange phenomena gripped our countries.

mimiro Fri 28-Jul-17 18:43:41

holly100
Donald J. Trump won the Electoral College with 304 votes compared to 227 votes for Hillary Clinton. Seven electors voted for someone other than their party’s candidate.

he did not win by popular vote he won by the above/we did not choose him

he has broken endless laws before and after the election and most of us educated poor whites have no use for him
it was the 45 and olders who voted for trump

btw wasnt too thrilled about hilary either but compared to the raging toddler with dementia and delusions of granduer.......