Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our country post Brexit

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 07:49:36

I thought I would start this thread to enable those who are enthusiastic Brexiters, to educate us Europhiles and show that our worries are silly and uniformed.

We hear so little from you, except to criticise our worries.

We have so many threads about the negative effects why not have one which shows the positive effects that leaving the EU will come about?

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 10:01:12

Mine has just finished his. Waiting for results!! A surprise party is secretly hopefully planned.

Mamie Wed 02-Aug-17 10:24:14

I am amazed by how many exams there are now; far more than we did. Mine is only just finishing Year 9, but they have already done a year of the GCSE syllabus.

MaizieD Wed 02-Aug-17 10:27:30

but there has been a steady improvement since the introduction of the literacy strategy in the nineties.

There was a slight boost initially but then it all levelled out again. It's only (I say with gritted teeth) since the tories took over that there has been a real push to improve the teaching of reading.and an insistence on teaching grammar (though I don't think the dreadful mechanistic/over technical'guidance' and testing of that will improve writing skills..)

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 10:42:25

I love the way the vacumn is being filledgrin

MaizieD Wed 02-Aug-17 10:45:59

Well, why not? An empty thread looks so unloved wink

Day6 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:53:29

Blimey - this is a "You know nothing Brexiters" thread, thinly disguised as friendly.

It's pretty obvious that Remainers are all over the internet, still bitter, still angry that they didn't win. They also think they are cleverer than those who wanted out of the EU.

Justification for the way we voted isn't needed. Most of us did our reading and research before the vote and really, we have no need now to keep fighting, the way Remainers do. The vitriol from those who wanted to stay in the EU directed at those who think differently from them is also rather shocking. So much hatred.

Many Remainers come across as nasty and venomous yet they try to reflect that back at Brexiteers.

Those who wanted out, in my circles, are intelligent, caring, wise, compassionate, intelligent people but we are portrayed as rabid, stupid and racist. Read the politics forums here for proof.

Try labelling any other sector of society in that unfair and vicious way and you'd be considered pretty evil by the elitist left.

Ilovecheese Wed 02-Aug-17 11:01:34

Sorry to get back to education but I just wanted to say that in my opinion this emphasis on correct grammar at an early stage can discourage good story telling.
E.g.
"The King walked in" is correct grammar but not very inspiring.
Whereas
"In walked the King! is incorrect grammar but more dramatic storytelling.

And what do we enjoy most? Correct grammar or a good story?

Don't mean to derail the thread, but was an opinion I just wanted to put forward

Day6 Wed 02-Aug-17 11:02:27

"It is the comprehension which is more worrying really. It was suggested in the article this lack of comprehension may have been responsible for the Brexit vote."

Jeeze!! Can you believe it???

Here we go again, posted by a patronising Remainer."Brexiteers are thick."

Consider this. People educated to PhD standard also voted to leave the EU.

Patronise away. Carry on being angry and villifying those who voted to leave the EU. You lost. How about you stop picking the scab?

We all got the vote. The educated and the less academic. Would you have it any other way?

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 11:05:05

That's no reason to vote Brexit, and no positive effect from leaving the EU, Day6.
Can't you think of one?

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 11:09:31

Should we look at Canada's education system?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40708421

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 11:11:10

At university level, Canada has the world's highest proportion of working-age adults who have been through higher education - 55% compared with an average in OECD countries of 35%.

For those who think that we have too many university students here.

mostlyharmless Wed 02-Aug-17 11:17:31

ilovecheese is using in at the start of a sentence ungrammatical? I seemed to spend an inordinate amount of my teaching career having to persuade seven year olds to use "adverbials" at the beginning of sentences - which would include prepositions.

But I agree, following too many rules when writing stifles creativity. And I like starting sentences with connectives/conjunctions for emphasis.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 11:17:38

day6 it is such a pity not to have something positive to post about our country post Brexit though.

Easy to tear strips but apparently far less easy to be positive.

Ilovecheese Wed 02-Aug-17 11:24:20

mostly harmless I'm not that good at grammar myself, to be honest.

mostlyharmless Wed 02-Aug-17 11:31:36

ilovecheese "In walked the king" does sound like a great start to a sentence!

MaizieD Wed 02-Aug-17 11:32:34

Before we all start fighting again and as it is vaguely connected with grammar, I found this thread on mumsnet (quite by chance as as I very rarely go there) and it has had me weeping...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/a2993992-If-there-are-2-horses-called-Pegasus-and-they-live-in-a-stable

Have a good laugh before returning to the fray

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 11:39:40

I genuinely didn't start this thread to argue - quite the opposite as I was aware of a fracas the previous night, and came up with this wheeze to prevent further useless tirades.

I sometimes think that people prefer to interrupt threads because they love a good argument.

Oh well!

Day6 Wed 02-Aug-17 11:45:41

DJ, you are being your usual sneeringly dismissive self.

Like you I could trawl the internet cut and paste HUNDREDs of opinions on why Brexit is a good thing. They are out there. I could regurgitate all of them, form an amalgam of pro-Leave opinions, facts. That's what you and other Remainers do.

The thing is - I voted to leave the EU and quite frankly I have no regrets, despite the deluge of gloom and doom coming from Remain quarters.

You want us to justify it so we play your game.

We don't have to. You carry on whining and poking Leave voters. That is your sport.

We could get deep into why leaving the EU is the right decision, and I could tell you why I voted Leave, but what purpose does that serve? All you want to do is bash anyone with other views.

Right now, none of us knows how it will pan out. To stay or leave was a gamble. To stay could prove to be disastrous for us.

Even if in the future history illustrates leaving the EU was the right thing to do, (when the EU disintegrates, as I believe it will) we know Remainers will still be full of vitriol.

Carry on hating, patronising, villifying durhamjen. It can't be good for your health.

gillybob Wed 02-Aug-17 11:48:09

Re land subsidies . Learned this morning ( radio4) that James Dyson (won voted for brexit) bought a huge amount of land to take advantage of the huge payments made to land owners and now owns as much if not more land than the queen. I believe he gets £1.5 million per year or thereabouts. He's not too happy now though and is campaigning to keep the subsidies. You can't have it all ways!

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 11:53:16

That's not nice, Day6.
Are you saying you want my health to get worse?

You wrote an awful lot sneering at me.
It would have made you feel a lot happier and have been quicker to write something positive about the UK after Brexit, wouldn't it?
Just one thing at a time.

CleopatraSoup Wed 02-Aug-17 11:59:18

So no one can come up with any positive effects?

I can't think of any either.

MaizieD Wed 02-Aug-17 12:09:04

Sorry, Day6 But..

Like you I could trawl the internet cut and paste HUNDREDs of opinions on why Brexit is a good thing. They are out there. I could regurgitate all of them, form an amalgam of pro-Leave opinions, facts. That's what you and other Remainers do.

So why don't you?

Or at the very least, why don't you refute some of the stuff we link to or discuss? Why just moan about us moaning?

gillybob Wed 02-Aug-17 12:21:18

Ooops should have been.... James Dyson (who voted for brexit)

Welshwife Wed 02-Aug-17 12:28:52

Well I used to like having a man stamp my passport when I entered another country - that doesn't happen at the mo in Eu countries but perhaps it will come back. grin

Jalima1108 Wed 02-Aug-17 12:35:40

MaizieD I haven't read it all yet, but thanks for that, it is so funny.
And something we live with constantly as our name ends in 's' - eg the Pegasuses at No 14!
(not our real name!)
To apostrophe or not to apostrophe, that is the question.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion