Gransnet forums

News & politics

A divided society-what can be done?

(563 Posts)
trisher Wed 02-Aug-17 09:35:46

As Newcastle gets £500000 ot fight right wing extremism
www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/right-wing-edl-newcastle-racism-13402419
there is also news that the cities 2 universities are still attracting EU students and there are increasing numbers of students from the Middle and Far East coming here. Will the money really help? And what can be done to mend a fractured society? When I see the EDL demonstrating and yelling in a city centre crowded with all nationalities I can only see more trouble ahead. Can you educate people to understand the benefits these students bring?

Welshwife Fri 11-Aug-17 16:11:14

I believe the figures show that there are far fewer benefit cheats than people think.we know there are tax cheats and many of them are large companies which would put huge amounts of money into the treasury if they paid up - more than enough to cover any cheating by the be fit cheats.

gillybob Fri 11-Aug-17 16:15:30

I spend my life chasing rainbows Anniebach one day I WILL catch one, I will. smile

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Aug-17 16:17:58

You have to put your knickers on inside out gillybob.

devongirl I think it is true though, from time immemorial the world over and far worse in some other countries than here, which of course doesn't make it right.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Aug-17 16:19:04

ps then change them back again before you go out.
That's the important bit.

Anniebach Fri 11-Aug-17 16:21:46

Welsh wife, I said more tax cheats than benefit cheats

Anniebach Fri 11-Aug-17 16:23:01

Aw Gilly, I hope I am wrong and you will catch that rainbow x

durhamjen Thu 24-Aug-17 12:00:11

theconversation.com/how-the-english-far-right-co-opted-christianity-and-why-its-crusade-shouldnt-be-ignored-82842

GracesGranMK2 Thu 24-Aug-17 12:46:19

If you have the opportunity do, please, all of you, listen to Jon Snow: MacTaggart Lecture at Edinburgh TV Festival 2017 It is a brilliant view looking at some of how we have got to where we have got to.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 24-Aug-17 14:08:22

I have just finished watching the Jon Snow lecture - so interesting and it has sense of one of those happenings that marks out a moment of change - rather as Cathy Come Home did which he refers to early on in the dissertation. It's not on such a scale but draws together many things which are very moot currently.

durhamjen Thu 24-Aug-17 14:22:19

I listened to it.
Quite upsetting at times, and it made me very angry.
Why did journalists miss what was happening in tower blocks?
Why did they miss the fact that Grenfell residents were telling the truth about where they lived?

durhamjen Thu 24-Aug-17 14:34:08

voxpoliticalonline.com/2017/08/24/grenfell-tower-and-the-social-divide-if-this-doesnt-make-you-angry-whats-wrong-with-you/

durhamjen Thu 24-Aug-17 14:46:00

skwawkbox.org/2017/08/24/msm-suddenly-filling-pages-with-a-lot-of-skwawkbox-material/

MSM using skwawkbox material.
I must be ahead of the times.
I love the bit about the dog and mint imperials.