Gransnet forums

News & politics

Davis Millibands comments

(40 Posts)
James2451 Sun 13-Aug-17 11:31:23

I really welcome David Millibands comments in today's Observer. We need his common sense back in Parliament and helping to recover from the Brexit fiasco.

In a scathing article in today’s Observer, Miliband writes: “Delegating to May and Davis, never mind Johnson and Fox, the settlement of a workable alternative to EU membership is a delusion, not just an abdication.”

How right he is,we need him urgently back in Parliament to lead on staying in the eu. The lies of the tabloid & Brexit gang like Farsge, Boris etc, bewitched our nation.The Right wing British tabloids owners hate the eu, mainly because they cannot influence political decisions in the same way as they can at Number 10. Their distorted stories influenced so many voters with fake information. We need to ensure they
no longer have such huge influence on our lives by legal means to regulate any distorting of the truth.

Ana Sun 13-Aug-17 13:22:00

Where do you get all this information from, whitewave?

You rarely give any sources but the posts certainly aren't all in your own words (having read your posts for several years now)

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 13:27:54

Miliband then goes on to argue that the case against the EU depends on the avoidance of any discussion of the alternative.

So we voted not knowing anything about what was to rep,ace it.

It is a stitch up.

This is the reason why it is essential that parliament or public are given the right to vote between EU membership and what will eventually be the negotiated alternative. When we will know exactly what a post Brexit UK will look like.
It is a democratic demand.

In my view - No one should be frightened of the democratic process.

Democracy didn't end on June 23 2016. It is a process. MPs must exercise their judgement. Delegating to May and Davis, never mind Johnson and Fix, the settlement if a workable alternative to our membership of the EU is a delusion, and abdication.

I absolutely agree with this. A coterie of 3 plus 1 should in no way decide the future of our country for generations to come.

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 13:29:59

ana you have obviously not read my posts.

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 13:33:40

Miliband then continues the argument by saying that Brexit is an unparalleled act of economic self- harm. But it wasn't just about the economy it is about a particular vision of society as well as politics and economics.

Yes this is a huge debate, and in my opinion was not addressed at all in the referendum debate.

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 13:39:06

So Europe stands for pluralism, minority rights, the rule of law, international cooperation, -not just the single market.

It isn't just a market. It is a vision of a good society. Rights and holidays for employees. Limits on oligopolies, standards for the environment. The single market stands against a market society.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what has been said here. You will not be surprised to know that I do have some reservations.

Ana Sun 13-Aug-17 13:39:57

I have indeed read your posts whitewave - but have it your own way...

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 13:42:02

Miliband then describes how autocratic leadership is on the march throughout the world.

Even in democratic nations there is a split between uthoritarian and pluralists camps.

Very few countries are immune.

I can't argue with this

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 13:42:19

Thanks ana

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 13:43:29

I am hoping that those so critical of Miliband will now produce sensible arguments as to why they are critical.

Ana Sun 13-Aug-17 13:44:49

For what? Not pursuing the matter of sources any further? Well it obviously wasn't going to be forthcoming anyway.

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 13:47:29

So he then looks at what the EU in his estimation stands for.
He describes it as a coalition of democratic states which pledge to advance human rights, the rule of law and democracy.

That he argues is not a threat to Britain, rather it is a team we should be in.

Miliband then goes on to make an argument for us to be in the EEA.

There briefly smile is Miliband the elder argument.

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 13:49:42

So now for ana benefit as she is clearly not up to speed with the newspapers, threads etc.

Reference.
David Miliband 13/08/17
Commentary published in the Observer.
Undoubtedly can be found on- line should you want to be assed to look.

Welshwife Sun 13-Aug-17 13:52:12

Are you referring to the source of David Milibad's article Ana ? I gave a link to it on the country after Brexit thread - it is in one of today's papers.

Ana Sun 13-Aug-17 14:31:52

Still can't see why you've quoted verbatim from an article in the Observer whitewave. And not a quotation mark in sight.