Gransnet forums

News & politics

The end of men (article)

(3 Posts)
Baggs Mon 14-Aug-17 09:24:09

Thought-provoking article by Hanna Rosin arguing that women increasingly 'have it good' and are overtaking men in power. Also that the, until recently, global preference for boy children has changed.

ffinnochio Mon 14-Aug-17 11:01:16

Very interesting indeed. Mr F. and I have often discussed this issue, and it's fascinating to read this article that brings so many of our thoughts together. In our extended family, particularly in America, this essay certainly relates to the lives of our nieces who live there. To a lesser extent, but it's certainly there, this also applies to the younger females of the extended family in the U.K.

MaizieD Tue 15-Aug-17 11:58:53

It was an interesting, though very long, read. I couldn't help feeling that it was strongly skewed towards the US concept of 'manhood' and a view that somehow 'matriarchal' societies upset the natural order of things. Whereas matriarchal societies are not an altogether uncommon phenomenon.

Would the same analysis work for the UK?

I cannot help thinking that the rise of the white supremacy movement, which seems to be male dominated, is, in part, a response to the erosion of the traditional US concept of manhood. Not helped by a POTUS who embodies it...