Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sarah Champion

(260 Posts)
TerriBull Thu 17-Aug-17 09:04:50

She's the Ann Cryer of her day. Another hard working honest MP who was called a racist. Let us not forget MPs represent ALL their constituents. The parents of the girls abused and the girls themselves have been desperate to get this problem out in the open for so many years now. It's been discussed ad infinitum how political correctness has hindered or even closed down previous enquiries. A problem that's still ongoing, yesterday Rochdale, Rotherham, Oxford, Newcastle etc. etc. Tomorrow somewhere else.

yggdrasil Thu 17-Aug-17 08:56:38

Yes, it is the Sun that is toxic. She might have got away with it writing for a different paper. (Except the Mail of course)

petra Thu 17-Aug-17 08:53:53

It was never going to go well after resigning from the front bench last summer but coming back voluntarily, and then, writing for the The Sun newspaper.
Shame, as she was one of the 'real' politicians on the front bench.

Greyduster Thu 17-Aug-17 08:50:29

I think she was pushed as she immediately became toxic. There is still a propensity for both political parties to pussyfoot around this major issue and not see it for what it's is. I don't align with her politics but I have an enormous respect for Sarah Champion as a hardworking, principled MP with her ear to the ground in Rotherham.

illtellhim Thu 17-Aug-17 08:50:18

Who's got the power to push her, she's got a right to express her views, I've read the article and it makes sense to me.

Are we not going over the top with PC, bring back the days when you called a spade a spade.

Jane10 Thu 17-Aug-17 08:44:52

But is there a problem with Pakistani men abusing vulnerable young girls? I think events have shown that there is. It was political correctness that impeded progress in trying to catch the abusers.
She must have been pushed. Hard!

nightowl Thu 17-Aug-17 08:41:04

Should she have resigned? Yes. She should have been a lot more careful in her choice of words. It's not about political correctness it's about political sensitivity in an area where tensions between communities are already high. Was she pushed? I have no idea but I'm sure she knows she made a mistake, which is a shame because what Rotherham needs is a strong MP ready and able to speak out.

Chewbacca Thu 17-Aug-17 08:34:16

No. Yes. Pushed. Yes.

Anniebach Thu 17-Aug-17 08:30:19

She was pushed ,

kittylester Thu 17-Aug-17 06:50:57

Should she have resigned? Was she telling the truth? Did she jump or was she pushed? Is this an example of political correctness gone mad?