Gransnet forums

News & politics

I love Sarah Champion!

(148 Posts)
Baggs Sat 02-Sep-17 07:24:27

"It's not that Yorkshire's racist; it's that Yorkshire is very blunt and doesn't sugar-coat anything."
Floppy Left failing to confront truth of sex crimes.

"I treat people as I find them. Some people's values are so odious it seeps through their every pore, but a lot of people I meet at Parliament are trying to do the best they can. They come at it from a very different angle to me, but that doesn't make them evil. You learn very quickly in parliament that the way to make change is by collaborating with people."
Interview: I'd rather be called a racist than turn a blind I to child abuse.

These may be paywalled. If you want the full texts, PM me and I'll send them.

Iam64 Tue 05-Sep-17 14:00:04

POGS in seeking to understand the behaviour of perpetrators by research, I'm not suggesting these individuals are not 100% responsible for their illegal, abusive behaviour. Research is what helped us to understand that child sexual abuse isn't confined to isolated communities, with little education as used to be generally believed.

Anniebach Tue 05-Sep-17 13:21:45

Not may be gangs, there are gangs

trisher Tue 05-Sep-17 13:10:29

No one has tried "to silence" anyone POGS some of us have pointed out that although there may be gangs of Asian men targeting and abusing vulnerable children it isn't enough just to keep saying this. That the problem of child abuse is much wider and much more complex and needs proper help and support.

For example a white man was convicted in Newcastle of the most terrible on-line abuse involving over 100 victims
news.sky.com/story/paedophile-sentenced-for-blackmailing-children-into-raping-relatives-11020980

nightowl Tue 05-Sep-17 12:33:20

I don't think anyone has.

Anniebach Tue 05-Sep-17 12:30:24

There is no excuse for peadophillia, and to try to place the fault with anyone other than the abuser is so wrong.

POGS Tue 05-Sep-17 12:09:37

Iam 64

You are correct I was wrong to imply Sarah Rowbotham was employed by Social Services . Thank you .

I agree when you say :-

" However, the main problem remains - why is the sexual abuse and exploitation of children and adolescents so prevalent across social groups, societies, religions and within families?

Cultural issues extend to every culture don't they. "

I don't think there is a poster who has said anything to the contrary or indeed understands that point also. It would be stupid in fact not to agree with you as that is a fact.

I am also not challenging the fact there is not enough finance given to preventative measures .

However I will never give one minute of an excuse to give a reason why peadophillia / grooming / child abuse has taken place and will always blame the perpetrator and he/she/them only for their depravity.

There is an entire network for our children to hopefully remain safe from us as parents/teachers/Social Services/Councils / Police etc. etc. but I believe that the vile , disturbed mind of those who prey on our children will continue to do so irrespective of what money is thrown at the problem. That is not saying prevention is not a worthy goal but prevention will always have limitations when it comes to the seedy mind and underworld of the Peadophile.

I think the water gets muddied when there are more than one conversations going on but I remain of the opinion Sarah Champion and others before her who have spoken of the issue of 'in this instance' Asian Grooming Gangs do not deserve to be treated as ' racist ' , causing problems or lacking in understanding of the wider issues . I believe they actually show more understanding of the issue than those who wish to silence them and yes I will use the term because of 'Political Correctness'.

I actually believe it is harmful to try and make just one excuse, give one reason , worry about upsetting individuals or cultural groups rather than speak the truth about those who commit peadophillia, grooming.

Iam64 Tue 05-Sep-17 08:29:03

POGS, the health worker who tried to involve social services and the police in investigating the organised abuse of vulnerable white girls, was employed by Area Health, not by the local authority social work team.
I am not defending inaction by her management or senior staff in the local authority and GMP. GMP were aware from the mid 90's (and probably earlier) of a significant problem involving Asian taxi drivers in particular and vulnerable children, many of whom were either in l.a. care or well known to agencies.

trisher is right to say that the cuts to police, health, social work etc have drastically reduced preventative services for children and their families. However, the main problem remains - why is the sexual abuse and exploitation of children and adolescents so prevalent across social groups, societies, religions and within families?
Cultural issues extend to every culture don't they. Light Entertainment is an area where abuse is known to have been rife. Does anyone believe that has stopped, I don't. The cuts that impact on children and families are also impacting on necessary research on this area, so reducing our ability to understand and attempt to prevent it. Asking 11 year olds who have learning difficulties to protect themselves from predatory men is a million miles away from addressing the issue of predatory men.

Baggs Tue 05-Sep-17 05:54:54

A number of Sikh, Hindu and Pakistani Christian groups have written a joint letter criticising Labour’s “weak response” to a frontbencher who spoke out about the race factor in sex-grooming cases.

The letter to The Times, signed by Lord Singh on behalf of the Network of Sikh Organisations and by groups including the British Pakistani Christian Association and Hindu Council UK, states: “We commend Sarah Champion and the Muslim councillor Amina Lone for speaking up on a clear trend in criminality: the conviction of men of largely Pakistani Muslim heritage in sexual-grooming cases.”

POGS Tue 05-Sep-17 00:37:26

trisher

" So why do you think the sex worker who dealt with the girls is no longer in post POGS and who do you think is filling her role now?"

She is no longer ' in post ' trisher because she had the balls to make the connection between Asian men grooming vulnerable white girls and it was / is still apparently taboo in some liberal circles to voice the truth that was happening.

I have no factual knowledge as to why she was made redundant/fired but my personal opinion is the Social Services could either not stomach the fact they were exposed as lacking in duty or some at the top felt threatened by her remaining in the department. I have no facts available to say really.

As for who do I "think is filling her role now" how the hell would I know.

I have not recently nor in the past , as old threads show, defended the Rochdale Social Services, The Police, The Council and some of Labour MP's I heard at the time echoing those who tried back in 2014 and still in 2017 impying it is racist and causes problems to speak the truth by stating there are certain areas where Asian men are involved in grooming .

I would have given her a medal and placed her in charge of Rochdale Social Services .

Not sure why you asked me personally but that is my response to your question addressed to myself.

Eloethan Mon 04-Sep-17 23:42:33

So how do you think child abuse should be tackled anniebach?

Anniebach Mon 04-Sep-17 22:18:10

.trisher, .that's your answer, fewer will be abused , if you wish to believe it your choice,

trisher Mon 04-Sep-17 22:05:46

Well it's certainly true Anniebach that if enough money was spent giving these children proper support, counselling, care and education there would be less opportunity for men to exploit and abuse them. Having worked in many inner city schools I can tell you that it is possible to identify in Primary school those who will not manage in secondary school and who will slip into situations where they will be in danger. If support was given then they would have brighter futures. It would of course be very expensive. It wouldn't completely solve the problem there will be children who slip through the net but for many it would help.

dbDB77 Mon 04-Sep-17 22:00:56

Anne Cryer first began campaigning on this issue of Pakistani grooming gangs in 2002 - it had been going on for a long time before that and was in the boom days before the financial crash in 2008 - austerity had nothing to do with it - just another excuse not to face up to the issue.

Anniebach Mon 04-Sep-17 21:21:18

All that's needed is more money and it will all stop, austerity is the cause it seems

Chewbacca Mon 04-Sep-17 20:50:41

I'm still waiting for durham to come back and validate her claim that Facts show that 100% of those people in jail for sexually abusing children as individuals rather than in a gang are white males. I'd like to know where that "fact" comes from and see some evidence to back it up.--don't think we're going to get it *Iam64--

Iam64 Mon 04-Sep-17 20:46:30

Thanks Baggs, I love Sarah Champion as well. I'm surprised to see the same old criticism of her alongside suggestions that some entrenched, misogynist views are brought with some men of Pakistani Muslim heritage but that 'education' can somehow make things better for future generations. A significant proportion of the men with Pakistani Muslim backgrounds who were convicted of abusing vulnerable white children, were born in the UK so education doesn't seem to have improved their attitudes.

I don't believe that the prison population if child sex offenders is 100% white as durhamjen suggests. I also find it difficult to believe that men from any faith or background, who will organise together to sexually abuse and exploit vulnerable children, will confine their abusive behaviour to those children.

trisher Mon 04-Sep-17 20:16:13

www.stylist.co.uk/people/three-girls-sara-rowbotham-maxine-peakes-tv-show-spoilers-rochford-child-grooming-sex-scandal-rotherham

trisher Mon 04-Sep-17 20:14:34

No Sara Rowbotham Pogs she kept a record, befriended the girs land pushed for prosecution. She was made redundant in 2014.-http://www.stylist.co.uk/people/three-girls-sara-rowbotham-maxine-peakes-tv-show-spoilers-rochford-child-grooming-sex-scandal-rotherham

Chewbacca Mon 04-Sep-17 20:02:14

Are you referring to Jayne Senior trisher?

trisher Mon 04-Sep-17 19:57:28

So why do you think the sex worker who dealt with the girls is no longer in post POGS and who do you think is filling her role now?

POGS Mon 04-Sep-17 18:39:14

It had b---er all to do with Austerity !

Nobody has stated the services were/are adequate have they?

Lord knows enough detail to prove that point was reported in the Professor Alexis Jay investigation into Rotherham Council in 2014.

POGS Mon 04-Sep-17 18:25:32

I have no issue with calling an Asian Peadophile Grooming Gang out for what they are.

I have no issue with calling a White Peadophile Grooming Gang out for what they are.

I have no issue with calling any Religious Peadophile
Grooming Gang out for what they are.

Why would I be remotely concerned about doing so?

I am concerned that the context of what Sarah Champion , Ann Cryer, David Blunkett, et all have pointed out over many years is somehow deemed as 'racist' , 'potential to incite trouble' and becomes such an issue to some people that the vile abuse perpetrated by a group of people get's to be somehow lost along the way.

I don't see any posters on this thread or those threads from the start in 2014? of the Rotherham Abuse story breaking who have stated peadophilia/grooming is a Male / Asian only issue.

I do see, as I have on past threads, a concerted effort to shift the facts known and convictions that followed away from the Asian Grooming issue to a wider picture , ironically what certain posters have called when it suited them 'Whataboutery' .

Now the 'Whataboutery' aspect is to a degree valid but only if there has been no recognition of the fact peadophillia / grooming is not just a Male/Asian/Muslim problem and that has not been said , so it therefore is simply an aside to the debate. The story is about the Asian Grooming of white girls and no amount of 'Whataboutery' can stop the truth from being told , no matter how unpalatable it may be to some.

It happened.

trisher Mon 04-Sep-17 18:08:08

I don't mind being rude about people who espouse policies that deny help and assistance to the poorest and most vulnerable in our society lemongrove in fact I think it is my duty to do so.
My posts have dealt with the realities of the situation, have stated what was not done for girls in the past and what is still not being done now. It is quite ridiculous that anybody should profess to care about such children, blame Pakistani men and at the same time think the services provided for all abused children are adequate. They weren't, they aren't and there is no evidence that they will be in the near future. So quibbling over the niceties of what is being attacked, a leader or a party is just fiddling whilst Rome burns.
Still carry on and keep pretending you are on some sort of moral high ground, just don't pretend that article in the Sun will do anything apart from increase racism and feed the prejudices of many.

lemongrove Mon 04-Sep-17 17:48:46

Actually trisher you saying to the posters on here 'expecting some sort of moral conscience from them is expecting too much isn't it' is not only breathtakingly rude but rather ironic given the tone of all your posts.
Further to that, people are not 'bashing the Labour Party' but bashing the Labour Leadership, big difference.

Chewbacca Mon 04-Sep-17 17:44:15

I'm still interested in hearing about the fact that all convicted, and jailed, child sex offenders who acted alone, rather than in gangs (as the Asian rapists were) are, without exception. 100% white male. Can anyone direct me to a link or evidence for this please?