Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is there anywhere posts considered to be hate speech can be reported?

(9 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Thu 14-Sep-17 10:35:32

It is not an immediate issue so don't panic.

I have seen some support for those threatening MPs and wondered if someone from 'a body' (no idea which) intervened to warn that hate speech is against the law it wouldn't help calm a least the major parts of the internet.

I am not sure what I am thinking really but the people posting do not seem to realise that if they said what they are saying in RL they would be breaking the law.

Any thoughts?

This was the article the comments were in response to.

vampirequeen Thu 14-Sep-17 11:23:32

Report it to admin and they'll check it against the guidelines.

If you think it constitutes a hate crime you can report it to the police.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 14-Sep-17 11:32:04

Not on here vampirequeen!

I was thinking more that we tend to think that visible policing helps keep the peace and the odd 'now the my lad' or, in this case 'now then old man' (but often younger people), when someone can see nothing wrong with threats against MPs it might help. if someone was there to warn that twitter comments were getting close to breaking the law we might stop some of the threatening behaviour.

norose4 Thu 14-Sep-17 11:36:30

I would agree that sharing opinions through social media seems to fuel a darker side to humans who now can say the most atrocious things about anyone they like without any repercussions to themselves. But as an after thought maybe this is a good thing, perhaps by venting their feelings verbally it stops them becoming physically abusive, but then again it can encourage some to become more aggressive & perhaps encourage them to carry out violent attacks . I wonder if there are any statistics to support these observations.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 14-Sep-17 11:54:54

Unfortunately it doesn't end with just threats or agreement with threats as we saw with Jo Cox norose. If you saw someone threatening another person in the street and other joined in and agreed what would you think should be done? The police don't go around arresting everyone in such cases but are good at defusing the situation. These conversation - I have never seen one on here - do not get defused they get fueled.

Primrose65 Thu 14-Sep-17 16:52:06

There's advice and a link to report it here
www.report-it.org.uk/reporting_internet_hate_crime

durhamjen Thu 14-Sep-17 16:55:31

What do you think about what Osborne said about May?
That seems very much like incitement to me.

paddyann Thu 14-Sep-17 20:59:17

I reported a picture of Nicola Sturgeon that had a target site overlaid on it and a bullseye on her forehead.I've seen a few like this and know that Nicola has had threats in real life not just on social media .Many of us find these offensive as we found the posts urging Alex Salmond's 90 year old to die ,a man who fought for his country and whose only "crime" was being the father of a man who has fought for his country all his life in politics.Sadly Mr Salmond died earlier this year so they got their wish.Nothing is ever done about these pictures or posts and the stock reply is they aren't outside of FB guidlines ,yet a picture of a young mum breastfeeding her newborn WAS taken down and we had a picture removed of a Bride and Groom because the grooms hand was on the brides bottom and apparently deemed in bad taste and offensive material.Makes me wonder what kind of eegits actually work in the internet

paddyann Thu 14-Sep-17 21:00:29

90 year old Dad