Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rohinga Muslims genocide

(93 Posts)
POGS Sun 17-Sep-17 12:04:36

I have fought shy of starting a thread because I have been mentioning the Rohinga Muslim situation in Burma on threads for a couple of years from time to time without much success .

The ' ethnic cleansing ' in Burma of the Rohinga Muslims has escalated and is obviously now being widely reported and discussed in the media, at long last. The world has woken up to the 'ethnic cleansing' that has taken place for years in Burma.

I have been bemused for a while how Aung San Suu Kyi and her role as Prime Minister of Burma has somehow evaded discussion and reports by some media outlets. I have watched so many t.v reports , read so many reports that have begun to discuss the issue but naming Aung San Suu Kyi until recently has been noticeably missing.

Why?

Could it be the fact Aung San Suu Kyi was 'feted' not so long ago by so many organisations including our own political establishment.?

I believe she is to give a National Address next week and I hope she will say something worth while because to be honest she has done nothing of any worth when it comes to the ' ethnic cleansing ' of Rohinga Muslim in Burma so far.

Perhaps I am doing her an injustice thinking being the President of Burma means you are capable of ordering the Army what to do. However given her supposed reputation
on Human Rights the world is watching and she is sadly lacking.

Eloethan Wed 05-Sep-18 22:23:30

I think she should be stripped of the Nobel Peace Prize. It makes a mockery of it.

But then I suppose that happened a long time ago when it was awarded to Henry Kissinger.

Iam64 Wed 05-Sep-18 20:01:44

What foreigners would that be RosieLeah? The Vikings, the Romans, the French?
I won't repeat the information about the history of the Rohinga people so well summarised by niggly and Jalima. I'm so tempted to do so though . Please do come back and reassure us that you aren't talking about the Muslim community in the UK, like those from Pakistan who were invited here to run our cotton mills in the 50's after the white British population realised 12 hour shifts for little pay wasn't the best employment they could find. Maybe you're hinting that people from Europe who pick our fruit and vegetables, or run our hospitals and care homes are invaders who we wish would go away.
I do apologise if I misunderstood your comments.

nigglynellie Wed 05-Sep-18 18:43:07

The Rohinga have lived just inside Burma for centuries, and actually do not have their own country as you put it, Bangladesh is a place of refuge from persecution, not their country of origin, bit like Jews before the creation of Israel! At no time have they 'invaded' Burma any more than Muslims or anyone else have 'invaded' this country. In fact we in this country have not been invaded by a foreign power since 1066, and I don't imagine many of us have much memory of that!!
I'm pleased you don't approve of ethnic cleansing RL, most of us find it quite shocking, but there you go!! I do think that perhaps a bit of a read up might be useful!!

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Sep-18 18:38:43

I don't approve of genocide
Well, that's a relief anyway.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Sep-18 18:37:39

Have you forgotten our own history, when we have been invaded by foreigners?
What, you mean the Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings and the Normans etc?
We're all descended from them (unless we're pure Celt)

The Rohingas have not invaded and overtaken Myanmar. They were brought in to do the menial tasks when Burma was under British rule in fact. They were on the side of the Allies in WW2 - the rest of Burma was on the Japanese side.

I think you may find the link informative, RosieLeah
theconversation.com/the-history-of-the-persecution-of-myanmars-rohingya-84040

Morgana Wed 05-Sep-18 17:35:23

Could/should sanctions be imposed on Myanmar?

RosieLeah Wed 05-Sep-18 16:32:39

I don't approve of genocide and I must be honest, I don't know the history of the area. However, it appears that the muslims came from Bangladesh and decided to move into Burma, a country with a different race and different culture. The Burmese are not happy about it and want them to return to their own country. Has no-one any sympathy with how the Burmese people feel? Have you forgotten our own history, when we have been invaded by foreigners?

nigglynellie Wed 05-Sep-18 16:18:52

I agree Jalima 100%!angry

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Sep-18 14:32:46

I watched a piece by Lyse Doucet on the Yazidi Christians of Iraq - who have suffered so terribly and are still living up a mountain, too afraid to go back to their devastated villages.

They, too, think the world has forgotten them.

Sorry, I am not meaning to hijack your thread, POGS, but when people in the UK are wittering on about how Brexit may or may not affect them and whether or not a cabbage may cost more, this story, and your OP makes me want to weep.

POGS Wed 05-Sep-18 11:50:55

I ' remain ' surprised how little the interest in this situation has developed.

I can only think those who ' feted ' Aung San Suu Kyi don't wish to accept the United Nations findings and or still believe she is a force for good.

It's a very strange world is all I can say.

Iam64 Wed 05-Sep-18 08:42:56

It may not be seen as an admission of guilt if he accompanies it with a message that apologises for the genocide. It's possible she faces prison again if she speaks out but if she has integrity, that's exactly what she should do.

nigglynellie Tue 04-Sep-18 12:29:10

I don't know how she can justify hanging onto her Nobel prize. At the very least she should hand it back, though of course this would, for her, be an admission of guilt.

POGS Tue 04-Sep-18 11:24:18

Iam

You make a good point.

Iam64 Tue 04-Sep-18 09:16:05

I would have more respect for ASSK if she handed back her Nobel peace prize.
Her silence or complicity with the genocide in her country is not compatible with continuing to hold that prize.

nigglynellie Mon 03-Sep-18 22:22:08

And now these two journalist's who have been given a 7 year jail sentence!!
Hollow words indeed!!!

POGS Mon 03-Sep-18 20:54:00

maryeliza

It won't help the situation! Nothing nor anybody including the United Nations are helping the situation and have not done so for years.

You bet I have ' moral outrage ' and it is directed at both the Myanmar Military and Aung San Su Kyi. Anybody who defends the actions of either of them has not grasped the situation . Nobody has condemned Aung San Su Kyi rather than the Military, they are both as bad as one another except one wields the weapons and the other does nothing about it and defends the action.

If you don't think she has not ' fell from grace ' then nothing will make you change your mind , not even the words from the UN it appears. I think you are being an apologist for her.

She is a villain of the peace who did not / does not try to protect the Rohinga and she alone is making a mockery of her own words :-

" Ultimately our aim should be to create a world free from the displaced, the homeless and the hopeless, a world of which each and every corner is a true sanctuary where the inhabitants will have the freedom and the capacity to live in peace.” – Aung San Suu Kyi’s Nobel Peace Prize lecture, 2012

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Sep-18 20:31:41

I don't think that, in the present circumstances, it is being 'vicious' to think that the Nobel Peace Prize should be revoked.

Yes, but she has been urged to speak out and does not.

nigglynellie Mon 03-Sep-18 20:26:02

I absolutely agree with you Jalima, it is morally indefensible for ASSK to keep the Nobel peace prize. No, it wouldn't make any difference, but at least the purpose, meaning and morality of this award would stay intact, whereas at the moment it would seem very tarnished and demeaned to say the least.

maryeliza54 Mon 03-Sep-18 20:24:24

But I asked how would it help the situation? Moral outrage doesn’t cut the mustard with the military does it? It does seem that some posters would rather condemn ASSK than the military - yet her crime is that she fell from grace - but she did at least attain grace - her 15 years of house detention, the sacrifices she made re her family life. I’m not being an apologist for her - like many of her previous supporters I’m devastated by her behaviour over this but there’s a viscousness in some of the attacks on her which is disproportionate - she tried and eventually failed dreadfully but to act as though she’s the villain of the piece is frankly quite wrong.

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Sep-18 20:14:33

Well, it would be a demonstration that they are aware if nothing else.
It is morally indefensible for her to remain a holder of the Nobel Peace Prize.

maryeliza54 Mon 03-Sep-18 20:06:50

If ASSK had the NP taken away from her tomorrow, how exactly would this help the situation as the real villains in all this, the military chiefs, still have all the power and have had for decades.

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Sep-18 19:41:04

I've put a link on POGS

news.sky.com/story/two-journalists-jailed-for-7-years-in-myanmar-in-official-secrets-case-11489301

POGS Mon 03-Sep-18 19:31:58

I am unashamedly keeping the eye on Myanmar so posting again.

I hope now 2 Reuters journalists have been jailed in Myanmar the pressure is really put on not only
Aung San Suu Kyi but the Nobel Committee.

How can they look to be a credible organisation when so much evidence is there for all to see.

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Aug-18 15:06:05

Thank you, POGS, for bringing this to our attention again. It is a very distressing situation and it is frustrating that there has been so little publicity about it, although there have been reports on the BBC from time to time.

I agree aboutAung San Suu Kyi. She is either just a helpless puppet of the military or is herself complicit in this and should be condemned by all those who feted her previously.

The world needs to wake up and take notice - and help.

Iam64 Mon 27-Aug-18 12:57:39

Thanks for bumping this POGS. I'm another one who is surprised at what seems almost like indifference by our politicians and by the general public. I echo niggly's comments in comparing the news focus on pressures on Europe because of refugees from Africa or failed states in the Middle East but so little coverage on the impact of Bangladesh who are trying to provide safety for those fleeing the genocide of Myranmar people.