Gransnet forums

News & politics

Uber licence in London refused

(138 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 22-Sep-17 11:04:59

Wow - this is going to cause a storm.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 24-Sep-17 10:00:41

Eloethan thank you for your reply to my query. The day got busy and I wasn't able to get back on here so sorry for the delay in my thanks.

I was really concerned that this was a bit of general history I should have known but probably not is my conclusion.

I don't think what was being said related to this particular act but was an example of the fact that there are times when capitalism needs to be limited by proper regulation, in this instance on employment questions and safety.

Janetblogs Sun 24-Sep-17 02:43:15

Whether you like Uber or not the facts are
Uber subsidises their fares by 40%
Uber uses 2 algorithms - the higher fare is what the passenger pays the lower fare is what is paid to the driver
dBS certificates were issued to drivers by Onfido - a company put together by the same venture capitalists that backed Uber to facilitate DBS certs for Uber drivers - this company has been taken off the approved list Since there are grave irregularities in their processes - 13000 drivers have certs that need to be resubmitted
Fake medical certificates - proven fact
Fake driving licences - proven fact
42 serious sexual assaults 2017 alone
Countless documented proof of a total disregard for driving and legal rules and regulations
Worse - in the event of an accident passenger is completely on their own -since Uber take no responsibility - just read their T&cs
Most Uber drivers are part time - 100s working as bus drivers etc
Accident rates have soared
Predatory pricing is illegal and surge pricing is immoral
Incidentally Uber now forging email petition signatures - again proven fact
Black cab prices set by government hire and reward insurance and wheelchair capabilities mandatory which is why fares are higher although in blind tests this is not always the case
London managed pre Uber and those 40000 drivers they are so worried about are free to work at any one of hundreds of minicab firms or even do the knowledge if they are good
enough . Plenty of minicab companies utilise the same technology and keep within the law - why should Uber be any different

smurkle Sun 24-Sep-17 00:08:30

Uber doesn't seem to have a good reputation

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Sep-17 22:10:22

I thought mini Cabs had been around for years, long before Uber and AL?

W11girl Sat 23-Sep-17 21:47:49

London Black Taxi Drivers had the monopoly for too long. Hoorah for Uber/Addison Lee. If what we here is true, however, Uber does need to clean up its act, big time. I hope it does go to supreme court. London Black Taxi's robbed us blind for years and didn't treat us very well! I remember the numerous times we would have to walk home because black taxis were never available...Uber/addison Lee changed all that and Black Taxis didn't like it. I feel this is a witch hunt.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Sep-17 16:18:09

Black cabs are way too expensive someone farther up said what price safety, indeed, but some people don't have the choice so would you rather them walk home in the dark Have minicabs never had any safety issues for women or even black cabs I don't live in London so never used or seen an Uber cab but just thinking are there no safety issues with any other cabs ?
I use my local minicar firm and never even considered feeling unsafe I like to chat to the drivers and have had some nice chaos and chapesses Does uber have any women drivers?

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 15:40:55

That's okay, primrose. Just trying to be helpful.
Can't remember the last time I used a taxi.
Lots of others, not just Addison Lee.

Primrose65 Sat 23-Sep-17 15:29:57

I'm sure most Londoners are aware of the alternatives to Uber, but I'm not sure those companies listed in your link would meet with your approval dj.
Addison Lee are facing the same issues as Uber with court cases, prosecuted by the same solicitors, backed by the same union.

www.leighday.co.uk/News/News-2017/July-2017/GMB-takes-Addison-Lee-to-tribunal-over-worker-stat

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 14:10:15

Do you ask them all, avalon?
A strange thing to do.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 14:08:51

www.trustedreviews.com/news/uber-alternatives-3295930

Lots of alternatives to Uber in London and elsewhere.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 14:04:11

I know that there were problems in the North East because some cab drivers were registering in Berwick but driving in Newcastle, where the registration costs at least three times more. I don't know if there are Uber cabs there.

avalon Sat 23-Sep-17 14:03:56

Sounds like those who use Uber like it and those who don't are glad to see it banned. It has been a life- changer for us, and I have never met a driver in 120 trips who felt exploited. They like the extra income and flexibility. Love black cabs too, but Uber is a big threat to their business. With satnav, the Knowledge less impressive.

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:57:26

Well there are world wide cities and countries that have banned/ had problems with them. As for the other U.K. Cities - no idea but didn't a PP mention problems in Manchester?

Primrose65 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:57:13

If they lose, Uber can probably afford to pay it.

Every other minicab and private hire company in the UK may be in trouble though, as most cab services have self-employed drivers, and that ruling will apply to them too.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 13:49:44

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/did-uber-deserved-banned-london-license-transport-for-london-scandals-a7961756.html

More details about Uber's work practices. They were told last year that those who work for them are employees, and are appealing the case. Obviously their backers have expensive lawyers to go to appeal.
If they lose, they will have to pay sick pay and pensions contributions, etc., to their employees.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 13:32:03

This is what they do.

"Uber’s strategy was always to dominate the London market by undercutting competitors, such as black cabs, Addison Lee and smaller local operators. Its overheads were low, as it was not paying VAT in the UK, and did not have a call centre. Backers including Goldman Sachs, BlackRock and other multibillion-dollar companies were happy for it to lose money in the short term, knowing that once it had crushed the competition it would be able to jack up its prices. After all, where else could customers turn?"

lemongrove Sat 23-Sep-17 13:31:20

If there are problems with this company, why only London that is revoking licenses, surely it would be a countrywide thing?
I expect Uber will put their house in order as it is big business they won't want to lose out on.

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:21:12

The rates Uber charges are artificially low - it's impossible for a company to pay its proper tax, pay its workers properly and keep up with regulations with those sorts of rates

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 13:17:41

"Half a million halfwits supporting a petition to reinstate a company who disregards regulation and doesn't pay tax, exploits its own workers and has a CEO who had to leave his post due to gross misconduct. You couldn't make it up. Literally couldn't. "

One of the comments.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 13:12:01

Have you read the Guardian link, shazmo?
It's by a Uber driver who is pleased they have had their licence revoked.

Shazmo24 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:08:37

Maybe if the black cabs in London didn't charge so much & have become complacent there might not have needed to have Ubet in the first place

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Sep-17 12:55:52

I rather thought they had been working with them but that Uber won't play ball - well we'll see won't we in the coming days. Incidentally app based company starts petition and contacts all its customers and gets lots of signatures - hardly surprising is it?

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 12:47:31

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/23/over-uber-london-driver-fares-rivals-work

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 12:40:13

If the residents want London to be turned into a tax haven, do you expect the mayor to deliver that outcome, too?

The mayor has to work within the law.
I expect the mayor of any city to be able to uphold the law.

Primrose65 Sat 23-Sep-17 12:37:30

I'd prefer people to have a choice. No one is forced to work at Uber or use their services. 3.5 million Londoners chose to use them and 40,000 chose to work as drivers.

If people perceive their service to be better, which many do, and the city wants the service (over half a million signatures now on the petition) then I think Transport for London and the mayor should work with Uber to resolve the issues.

I expect my mayor to be able to build relationships with the businesses needed to run the city efficiently and deliver the outcomes the residents want.