Gransnet forums

News & politics

Am I the only one who is underwhelmed?

(31 Posts)
maryeliza54 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:06:24

So from next year women in Saudi Arabia will be able to drive ? Oh well that's all right then.

MissAdventure Tue 26-Sep-17 23:09:18

Whatever next?! Bikes, cars; it's a slippery slope I tell you!

maryeliza54 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:11:38

They're doomed I tell you, doomed.

maryeliza54 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:13:04

I expect it will make it even more OK to sell them arms ( the men of course, the women don't have capacity)

MissAdventure Tue 26-Sep-17 23:13:23

I cannot begin to imagine living as they do. Will they need a chaperone in the car, do you know?

maryeliza54 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:16:30

I guess so - you know what they'd do otherwise don't you? And it would be the woman's fault of course.

MissAdventure Tue 26-Sep-17 23:19:44

I'm sure I can guess. It makes me sick to my stomach. I'm afraid I'm not very "right on" with these regimes

maryeliza54 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:23:41

Nothing to be right on about! I'm with you all the way

durhamjen Tue 26-Sep-17 23:23:54

Probably for anyone who lives there it's like when women got the vote here.
One step at a time. Perhaps when the men realise that the roof hasn't fallen in, they might get more rights.

maryeliza54 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:25:10

I really don't think it's like getting the vote - more a packet of smarties.

durhamjen Tue 26-Sep-17 23:27:37

A reward for good behaviour?
Will they be allowed to drive if there is a man in the car?

MissAdventure Tue 26-Sep-17 23:27:39

I suppose for those women though, it will make a huge difference? Dependent of course, on what restrictions are set.

maryeliza54 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:31:20

I can see it might seem more than it is at first but when all the other fundamental restrictions and especially those based on the concept of guardianship remain in place, it will soon seem hollow surely? For example, drive yourself to hospital but can't give consent to any necessary surgery

MissAdventure Tue 26-Sep-17 23:32:01

I just googled, and it's seeming as if they may need a male guardian with them.

maryeliza54 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:33:56

Quite right too! Seriously though, I think it's really important that the King doesn't get even half a brownie point for this. It just throws into sharp relief the dreadful position of women there.

MissAdventure Tue 26-Sep-17 23:38:01

It does. I just read a quote from a 30 year old bank worker, expressing her absolute shock and delight that the ban is to be lifted. It's a funny old world. I'm forever thankful to have been born into my little corner of it.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Sep-17 06:04:05

I did here that they weren't allowed to drive as it would harm their ovaries

BlueBelle Wed 27-Sep-17 06:04:20

Hear sorry

tessagee Wed 27-Sep-17 08:13:34

I saw that item on this morning's BBC News coupled with a film of a woman driving while her face was entirely covered except for eyes. I was appalled at the limited vision she appeared to have, surely a matter of road safety!

vampirequeen Wed 27-Sep-17 08:30:19

The traditional standing of women in society in Saudi Arabia isn't going to change overnight but surely this is a step (albeit small to us) in the right direction. British women didn't change from being chattels to free overnight and it's the same elsewhere. We may not agree with how women are treated in Saudi Arabia but if we look at it from their point of view this is a massive step forward.

whitewave Wed 27-Sep-17 08:33:59

Listening this morning. You are right to be underwhelmed.

They still have to ask permission from any male member of their family to go out, get a passport, have any medical procedure and of course drive.

It is was announced at the UN, and it should be noted that yesterday there started a look at whether war crimes have been committed in Yemen by the Saudis.

No one has any access to any form of democracy male or female.

That's just to begin with.

Don't mention, the stoning, the chopping off of hands, the beheading etc etc. Medieval and evil.

Agus Wed 27-Sep-17 08:37:20

It is a very small step forward but a positive and who knows, maybe in time they will be allowed to ditch the male guardian.

Not that long ago, 1979, before I was allowed to undergo a medical procedure, DH was required to sign a form giving his approval. This was in the hospital I actually worked in and new exactly what the procedure entailed as opposed to DH who knew roughly what was happening and appalled at being asked to sign on my behalf.

loopyloo Wed 27-Sep-17 08:37:24

It is a step forward and driving a car gives a great sense of personal freedom. Might not seem much to us, but we have many of the rights we should have thanks to those in the past who fought to change opinions.

maryeliza54 Wed 27-Sep-17 08:45:51

Instead of a step forward, I think it's a cynical move to try to stifle criticism and any agitation for further and meaningful change. A committee is going to decide exactly how this is implemented - for example, would a woman be allowed out on her own on a car? Any Guardian who doesn't want a woman driving will simply be able to make sure she doesn't have access to a car - she won't have a bank account for sure and will need his permission to have driving lessons.And of course if she breaks the new law however it is finally framed, then out with the stones. A step forward? I don't think so - more another example of this dictatorships utter contempt for women

Anniebach Wed 27-Sep-17 09:52:56

It is a step forward and should not be mocked, the women's rights movements in that country have fought for this