Gransnet forums

News & politics

A story that says it all

(32 Posts)
maryeliza54 Tue 03-Oct-17 08:53:38

Four years ago, an 18 year old woman agreed to take on the care of her three younger siblings after the sudden death of their mother. She gave up college and much of her social life to do this. The elder of the three siblings has just started university. The young woman now has a partner and a baby. She applied for the £500 Sure Start maternity grant and child tax credits. She was refused of course because she has breached the more than two child rule. The DWP stands by its decision saying it ensures fairness between claimants like this young woman and taxpayers who support themselves solely through work

PamelaJ1 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:15:05

Like all of the above I am appalled by this story. This family needs and deserves help.
Apart from signing a petition is there any way of helping her? A petition is great but won't be of much practical help now.

trisher Wed 04-Oct-17 11:24:25

This is horrendous. Presumably even the Tories wouldn't want to punish someone who has cared for their own family. I will write to my MP if that will help. I wonder what happens if someone wants to foster or adopt children and they already have children of their own, or go on to have children after adopting would they still apply the rule?

vampirequeen Wed 04-Oct-17 14:55:01

I doubt the Tories care, Trisher. This is just another way of saving money/cutting benefits.

FarNorth Wed 04-Oct-17 14:58:23

There can't be so many people in this situation that it will save much for the government.
If they have looked at the case, and refused to do anything, they must just not care.

durhamjen Wed 04-Oct-17 18:16:41

It's because there are so few in that situation that they can get away with it.

JessM Wed 04-Oct-17 21:45:21

It is far too early to tell if it is discouraging anyone from having additional children.
The policy itself is nasty and deliberately targeting women on low incomes. Another example of Tory brutality I'm afraid. Meanwhile many of those at the other end of the wealth spectrum salt away their millions in tax havens to avoid taxes.