Gransnet forums

News & politics

Let's not forget Brexit

(1001 Posts)
Cindersdad Tue 03-Oct-17 19:16:18

I still feel that Brexit is wrong though have no idea how stop it. We get mixed messages on the negotiations, DD says that are going fine but the EU side says otherwise.

There was a protest in Manchester where Lib. Dems., European Movement. Open Britain and other groups made their feelings clear.

Our democracy and standard of living is under threat from dogmatism on both the left and the right.

whitewave Wed 01-Nov-17 16:19:54

In my view those who voted to leave are clueless how to proceed. It isn’t going well, but undoubtedly the brextremists are desperate to keep that from the voter, or blame the EU.

It is a joke. We voted to leave, the EU begged us to stay, warning that it could never be a good outcome for us for the most obvious reasons. We then chunter on about how the EU demands its money and poor little us are trying the best we can?. Dear oh dear.

mostlyharmless Wed 01-Nov-17 16:50:44

Would Parliament be brave enough to put the good of the country over "the will of the people"?

It would mean the downfall of the government (assuming the conservatives are still in power). It would be easier for a fresh Labour Government perhaps? Or a coalition?

jura2 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:03:03

Rang the UK today to arrange for our EHIC cards to be renewed. They said they were very busy at the moment, lots of meetings- and it could not be done currently!!!Yiiikes - so is that the beginning of the end?

Spain say British expats' health care will be paid for- but by whom? At the moment, it is a reciprocal agreement. Here in Switzerland, as retirees with UK only pensions and no income- we are also covered by reciprocal agreement- we have to the first 300 CHF, then 10% up to 700 CHF - per year- then the UK picks up the tab, as this is where we hve contributed and paid taxes all our lives.

Devorgilla Wed 01-Nov-17 17:05:03

You raise a good point, mostlyharmless. IMHO it is the duty of our Parliamentarians of all sides to be brave enough to stand up and say that a decision is wrong for the country and its long term wellbeing even if it is as a result of a referendum (not binding) and the 'will of the people'. I am not holding my breath on this one though. It takes a strong group to defy the popular press.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 17:06:06

Impact assessments being discussed now on parliament TV.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 17:30:55

Anna Soubry giving a brilliant speech now.

mostlyharmless Wed 01-Nov-17 17:35:59

Yes dj I was about to say the same. Very passionate and eloquent.

whitewave Wed 01-Nov-17 18:01:43

I’m on holiday can’t get it sad

whitewave Wed 01-Nov-17 18:02:45

Any brextremist arguing for the information to be released?

suzied Wed 01-Nov-17 18:18:19

Probably they will dismiss it as “project fear” and not believe it as it isn’t part of the mantra.
One of the hallmarks of intelligence is being able to change your beliefs when presented with contrary evidence so don’t hold your breath.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 18:18:53

Not so far.
Suella Fernandes talking about the need for secrecy.
Anna Soubry obviously thinks she's not a grown-up in the house.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 18:19:32

Only abvout a dozen Tories in the house.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 18:23:10

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/01/electoral-commission-to-investigate-arron-banks-brexit-donations-eu-referendum

About time, too.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 18:28:45

Apparently as Labour have used a humble address, the result from this debate should be binding.
Tories are supposed to be doing their usual and abstaining. If they do that on a humble address it really will show distain for the population.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 18:33:22

Rees-Mogg is saying it will be binding.
Does not allow for redaction.
Saying that the opposition should have asked the brexit committee for permission to have this debate. What?

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 18:35:33

infacts.org/cant-may-honest-eu-trade-deal-will-take-ages/

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 18:41:27

I bet Fox wishes he hadn'y been given this job.

infacts.org/fox-flounders-eus-trade-deals-66-countries/

whitewave Wed 01-Nov-17 19:01:49

Yes re Fox, I read that -as far as I can make out so far he has obtained zero for the U.K. post Brexit.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:49:34

The Arron Banks Electoral Commission investigation seems to have legs.

whitewave Wed 01-Nov-17 19:50:50

Yes read that as well!! Banks seems to be saying “bring it on”

GracesGranMK2 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:10:42

Bravado? and possibly the knowledge he has deep pockets for lawyers.

whitewave Wed 01-Nov-17 20:20:34

Yes I thinks it’s bravado or sheer bleeding arrogance

petra Wed 01-Nov-17 20:22:37

Whitewave
Under eu law we aren't allowed to sign any trade deals. We can have everything in place ready for signing on the doted line come March 2019.
Neither us, and certainly not the eu should be privy to these very sensitive negotiations.

petra Wed 01-Nov-17 20:28:28

Re. Arron Banks. I think we all know that nothing is going to happen. All sides were guilty, so it's tit for tat, that's why he's laughing at the accusations, but the legal procedure has to be seen to be doing something.

whitewave Wed 01-Nov-17 20:30:21

petra yes I know that, but Fox has been trotting all around the world trying to get the heads up about future trade deals and has achieved precisely nothing to date. In fact he has been warned by many countries that they are not willing to risk their existing trade deals with the EU.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion