Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bringing up boys and girls

(34 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Oct-17 15:10:01

We've been asked to comment on BBC radio about the differences between bringing up girls and boys today vs when you brought up your children (or how you were brought up yourselves). E.g. does/did gender stereotyping have a lasting negative impact? Also the fact that we have more female role models today (the PM, Fire and Police commissioners are all female etc). Would love to hear your thoughts?

gillybob Fri 13-Oct-17 10:21:19

Oh that kind of makes me feel better ( silly I know) but I was always made to feel like a freak at my all girls school . Everyone seemed to know it all whereas my parents forbid me to have sex education lessons . Silly Billy's .

Deedaa Fri 13-Oct-17 11:52:22

Well while we're on the subject, it was a long time before I realised that the fig leaves on statues were not actually part of their anatomy, but were covering up something else ?

FarNorth Fri 13-Oct-17 14:10:35

I saw my brother's willy when we were very small but remember thinking, maybe when I was around 10, that I must have imagined it as it seemed so unlikely.

When my DD was a baby, my DS thought that the reason she needed a nappy was that her willy hadn't grown yet.
He was very surprised to learn she wouldn't be getting one.

trisher Fri 13-Oct-17 17:00:52

I grew up in the 50s in what I suppose was an enlightened household. Most of the women in my family worked, my mum, my aunt, my grans. My mum taught both me and my brother to cook. My brother was considered cleverer but probably because he was science and I was history and art. I was encouraged to study and go to college. In fact it was at a women's teacher training college that I first realised some people thought women couldn't do stuff. I remember a friend getting the magazine Spare Rib and telling me about inequality I'm afraid until then I had tended to think I could do anything I wanted. I suppose having children made me even more aware of the difficulties.
I hope my 3 DSs have been brought up to treat women as equals and they can cook and clean, unfortunately their standards are like mine and maybe not as high as they might be.
I do love the fact that my GD can be dressed as a princess in pink one minute and have bruised legs and filthy knees the next because she has been on the adventure playground. I hope she stays like this.

FarNorth Fri 13-Oct-17 17:15:15

It's a little more controversial, to most people, trisher, if a boy does both those things.

trisher Fri 13-Oct-17 18:18:02

GS was wearing a pair of fairy wings and his underpants last week and playing with his trains

FarNorth Fri 13-Oct-17 18:45:25

Good on him, trisher!

FarNorth Fri 13-Oct-17 18:58:19

The constant emphasis on the looks of women nowadays, in particular young women, seems designed to make them feel that they are not good enough as they are.

They are told they have to keep attending to their hair, nails, makeup, body hair, clothes, shoes - all to make themselves acceptable, it not only takes up time and energy, it wears down their self confidence.

Obviously, some attention has to be given to cleanliness and grooming, as men have to do too, but the expectations put on women are ridiculous.