Gransnet forums

News & politics

Private wealth and public squalor

(204 Posts)
whitewave Wed 01-Nov-17 19:29:47

We have Galbraith to thank for this theory, and I think that far from being a theory of the past it is so apt for what is happening in this country.

I am watching the BBC programme about the super rich.

Today I have also seen on a report about people resorting to living in vans and caravans because they cannot afford anywhere else to live.
Our young are struggling.

The cuts have resulted in poorer welfare system, a struggling NHS, pot holes in the roads, and so on.

Today I visited Wells and in the Cathedral precinct there were homeless people begging -shame on the church. And don’t say the homeless have always been with us.When we were growing up we had tramps who we almost knew by sight as they were so unusual.

Food banks ?

Whilst we have just been told that the super rich wealth rose from an average of 2bn to 5bn within two years of the recession. Their wealth has continued to grow to the extent that now the top 1% own more than everyone else. Marx said that wealth will always become concentrated at the top, but for many years he seemed to be wrong, I wonder if he is so wrong now?

And no I’m not envious, just demanding fairness.

durhamjen Wed 20-Dec-17 19:58:18

www.24housing.co.uk/news/beds-in-sheds-costing-london-boroughs-9m-a-year/

The people sleeping in these places aren't homeless, either.
Neither are the 27 crowded into a cockroach infested house; the landlord did not know that overcrowding was against the law!

ElvisD4 Mon 03-Jan-22 11:57:12

I hear most people saying their dream is to live in the USA. Honestly, I wish I could escape it. The economy here is so bad. Rich people pay half their income on taxes. Elon Musk paid 62% of his income this year for taxes. On every corner, you see homeless people. And many starve because their rent is too high. And the government doesn't encourage at all small business owners. I've read this article once, [url=https://parentportfolio.com/generational-wealth/]parentportfolio.com[/url]. It really made me want to start a business. However, when I saw how much I should invest, I stopped.

Dinahmo Mon 03-Jan-22 23:03:43

lemongrove

I said that ‘ we can all invest etc’ obviously meaning if we have money to invest. I do not have it, but have no objection to those who do investing their money legally.
Foreign investments do help our economy.

How does foreign investment in utilities help the economy?