Gransnet forums

News & politics

Let's not Forget Brexit(2)

(474 Posts)
Cindersdad Thu 02-Nov-17 09:04:57

It seems that 1000 posts is the limit for a thread, so carrying on I have to commend Day6 for persistence though really cannot understand any of the reasons LEAVER have given.

Let's we get the full disclosure of the Brexit impact statements. I want to try to avoid repitition but we have probably said at one time or other everything to say about Brexit.

The bottom line is that we will be worse off outside the EU. Yes there fault with the EU but outside we can do nothing inside we have a say.

The referendum result was based on lies. The LEAVE campaign finances are not above suspicion.

Welshwife Sat 02-Dec-17 09:46:50

The problem I see with the lowering of standards is that the UK citizens will be subject to them and expected to eat/use these lower standard goods.

whitewave Sat 02-Dec-17 08:44:59

Sensibly after listening to the loons on the far right, the EU is beginning to look what they will do if the U.K. reduces certain standards is the production of goods and food.

It is likely that high tariffs will be slapped on this sub-standard stuff.

whitewave Sat 02-Dec-17 08:43:12

The whisper is that Davis has changed sides shock no wonder he acts as if he’s wading through mud.

jura2 Fri 01-Dec-17 19:29:16

Apparently he has been talking about resigning for 2 weeks - and has been looking for any excuse - where he can blame someone else ...

Tegan2 Fri 01-Dec-17 19:04:20

It's called 'doing a Cameron' grin...

mostlyharmless Tue 28-Nov-17 21:47:45

Perhaps Davis is looking for a way out. Being forced to resign because of "parliamentary contempt" might be better than risking the wrath of the more manic Brexiteer cabal of Tories.

durhamjen Tue 28-Nov-17 19:57:50

"Negotiators are working on how to present the settlement as a net estimate, with the UK side pressing for an implied figure of between €40-45bn once UK receipts and other deductions are taken into account. “They have promised to cover it all, we don’t care what they say their estimate is,” said one senior EU diplomat. “We’re happy to help them present it.”

Intensive negotiations are continuing, with the aim of reaching a declaring “sufficient progress” next week on the financial settlement, citizen rights and Northern Ireland. Discussions are delicately poised and negotiators have warned that all hold-up on any one element of talks could scupper a December deal to open trade talks."

I love the comments about spinning it.

durhamjen Tue 28-Nov-17 19:55:24

Wow!

www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/uk-bows-to-eu-demands-with-breakthrough-offer-on-brexit-bill-1.3308771

That's a lot more than expected.

Smithy Tue 28-Nov-17 17:02:00

The site not the suite.

Smithy Tue 28-Nov-17 17:02:00

The site not the suite.

Smithy Tue 28-Nov-17 17:01:11

Is there a fault with the suite? Most threads showing multiple repeat posts.

Smithy Tue 28-Nov-17 17:01:10

Is there a fault with the suite? Most threads showing multiple repeat posts.

durhamjen Tue 28-Nov-17 16:51:29

infacts.org/whats-pm-hiding-may-hand-studies-full/

House of Lords says that May must have something to hide.

durhamjen Tue 28-Nov-17 16:51:29

infacts.org/whats-pm-hiding-may-hand-studies-full/

House of Lords says that May must have something to hide.

whitewave Tue 28-Nov-17 13:50:28

Davis holds parliament in such contempt that he doesn’t even turn up to answer the “contempt” accusation.

mostlyharmless Tue 28-Nov-17 13:50:07

It seems like the Government thinks it's all a game.
Davis said on national TV that they had 57 impact reports. Then that they didn't have any complete reports. Then that they couldn't let anyone see them etc etc.
The Government didn't bother to vote on the motion about publishing the reports. They could have defeated it at that point.
Presumably there were no in-depth reports completed when Davis said that there were. Then the cover up followed.
It's all a bit like naughty schoolboys playing tricks.
Brexit is a serious issue - shame that the Government can't take it seriously.

Tegan2 Tue 28-Nov-17 12:52:39

I've never known the governing of this country to be in such a shambolic state as it is now sad.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 28-Nov-17 12:34:12

There has been and emergency question asked in Parliament - I don't know what about but would guess it's about this.

whitewave Tue 28-Nov-17 12:12:39

Oh dear! Apparently sovereignty of parliament only counts when you want it to according to Davis.

Tegan2 Tue 28-Nov-17 11:18:26

She'll like all the EU flags that will be waved on her wedding day then wink!

whitewave Tue 28-Nov-17 11:04:44

I see the latest addition to the royal family supports remain., she posted this on The a July demo last year. Wait until the tabloids get their nasty nails into that one!

durhamjen Tue 28-Nov-17 08:51:45

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-27/norway-girds-for-brexit-no-deal-specter-with-message-for-barnier

GracesGranMK2 Tue 28-Nov-17 08:04:45

A quick apology. Somewhere, and I cannot find it now, I said "contempt of court". I then got distracted and did not correct it. Of course, the government may be in contempt of Parliament.

Tegan2 Mon 27-Nov-17 23:58:39

So; where are they then confused...?

durhamjen Mon 27-Nov-17 22:59:20

This is a jackofkent report of the timeline of Davis's impact papers.

jackofkent.com/2017/11/the-early-history-of-the-58-brexit-sector-analyses/

Davis has most definitely got himself into a pickle with it all.

Enough to bring the government down for contempt of parliament?