Gransnet forums

News & politics

When is she going to fire him? (Boris)

(161 Posts)
Nandalot Tue 07-Nov-17 13:34:36

Boris may have caused a British Iranian woman’s sentence in Iran to be doubled to 10 years by something Liam Fox calls ‘ a slip of the tongue’.The woman was on holiday with her family in Iran when she was accused of spying. Johnson said she was there teaching journalism which the Iranian authorities leapt on as spreading propaganda. I don’t think May will give him the boot. She fears him too much to let him loose. Meanwhile, the UK, and this poor woman, have to endure the repercussions of his ‘slips of the tongue’.

Luckygirl Tue 07-Nov-17 14:16:36

Dear dear - what a pillock.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:35:42

In answer to the thread headline - no soon enough.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:36:47

Sorry, I haven't suddenly acquired a Scottish accent. It should be - not soon enough.

GillT57 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:46:16

He needs to be sacked, surely TM's self respect can't take any more of his insubordination and sheer bloody idiocy. He has caused this woman to be in an even more dire state than she already was, truly perilous, and his idiotic chum Liam Fox was blustering away this morning about it being a slip of the tongue. It wasn't a slip of the tongue, it was showing extreme carelessness in what he said, he obviously didn't know about the case. He is making a fool of TM and fools of the country he is supposed to represent. Sack him, along with PP and maybe, just maybe, TM could gain some respect. What a bloody lot of criminals and fools, shameful.

NotTooOld Tue 07-Nov-17 14:58:14

I'm afraid I'm not convinced this was a slip of the tongue. It's not something you'd slip up over, is it? I suspect it was on his briefing sheet and therefore may be, just may be, true.

whitewave Tue 07-Nov-17 15:02:46

It is called diplomacy nottoo something Johnson is entirely clueless about

bumblebee123 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:27:33

How many people would go to such places for a holiday, Iraq, Iran, Israel. I wouldn't. I've been to one foreign country and I was made very welcome. That country was... Wales...smile
Brian.

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Nov-17 15:41:00

But she was visiting her family, wasn't she?

Charleygirl Tue 07-Nov-17 15:50:36

He is a bumbling fool- this poor woman and her family. He should do the honourable thing and resign but oh no, he thinks he will be PM one day.

eazybee Tue 07-Nov-17 16:33:02

I agree with NotTooOld; I think it may well be true. Something very odd about this whole case, the husband's behaviour, and the baby daughter still in Iran.

GillT57 Tue 07-Nov-17 16:58:52

This lady is a British Citizen.She was visiting her family with her baby daughter, something they had done several times since the child was born. She was arrested in suspicion of spying and plotting the downfall of the regime. Her daughter is with maternal grandparents and the Father is worried sick about the health is his wife, imprisoned in a country with a very low disregard for women. What they and the diplomats working patiently behind the scenes do not need is that bloody slack mouthed buffoon Boris, the man in charge of the Foreign Office for heavens sake, making things dangerously worse.

nigglynellie Tue 07-Nov-17 17:04:19

She was, apparently, taking her baby daughter to visit her parents in Iran. The baby is, I understand, being cared for by the grandparents. Iran doesn't recognise dual nationality which this lady has, whether little girl has or not I don't know. Even if Boris's brief did say she was training journalists, surely he would have had the wit not to repeat it bearing in mind the country in which she's accused. It's very strange, and makes you wonder if there is a hidden agenda - somewhere!

GracesGranMK2 Tue 07-Nov-17 17:12:47

We keep being told how intelligent he is but I have yet to see any signs of this. He is obviously well schooled but so are horses and that does not equate to intelligence.

Fennel Tue 07-Nov-17 17:13:27

I saw BJ's usual rumpled appearance on early BBC Breakfast news (no sound, don't ask!) and thought, another sexual harrassment accusation, at last his womanising has caught up with him. But no, it was another kind of clumsy mistake on his part.
How does he get away with it all?

jura2 Tue 07-Nov-17 17:28:19

she can't sack either, because her majority is so so thin and her GVT so divided- which is massively worrying. The know they can get away with more or less anything sad

maryeliza54 Tue 07-Nov-17 17:47:27

Good post niggly and I also believe that because Iran doesn’t recognise dual nationality, British consular staff can’t visit her. I’m very surprised that some people thought they could comment on this thread when they had no idea about the fact she was visiting family and had done so several times before

whitewave Tue 07-Nov-17 18:54:56

Lord Buckethead on twitter suggested we do a straight swap with Nazanin and Johnson - seems a good idea to me. Solve two problems at a stroke.

Jalima1108 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:36:11

Perhaps it is a case of 'all brains and no common sense' Gracesgran - which is very worrying.

GillT57 Tue 07-Nov-17 21:29:43

Whitewave I suggested the same; do a straight swap and leave the fool there. He is a disgrace to his office and disgrace to the country he purports to represent.

lemongrove Tue 07-Nov-17 21:37:03

To be correct, he said that she was ‘teaching journalism’
And not ‘training journalists’ and yes, I too thought this must have been on his briefing notes. Now, it is either true,
Or she was really on holiday.If it wasn’t what he had been told, why would he say it?If she had really only been on holiday, why would he have thought otherwise?Bit of a mystery, but seems he is working with his counterpart in
Iran to get her released.

lemongrove Tue 07-Nov-17 21:39:42

Could it be that teaching journalism is her job ( in the UK) and he got it mixed up? He does find it hard to stay out of trouble.

GillT57 Tue 07-Nov-17 21:52:51

Maybe, lemongrove the statement of incorrect facts was because he is an inconsiderate, lazy arse who could not be bothered to find out about this case, a case which as Foreign Secretary is part of his remit.

lemongrove Tue 07-Nov-17 21:55:31

Always a possibility Gill grin but there must be a reason I think, this comment about teaching journalism, it must have come from whoever briefed him, but we may never know.

Tegan2 Tue 07-Nov-17 22:10:34

So it's not his fault; he was just regurgitating something he had been told without a] checking that it was correct and b] not considering the fact that it might make the case against this woman even worse. Phew; that's ok then.