Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where are the good people in power?

(105 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:56:01

I have just listened to Desert Island Discs with Phil Scranton. The contrast between him, his dignity, compassion, morality ,courage and love for his fellow human beings and the sorry excuse we have for a Government, lying and scheming all in their own self interest could not be sharper.

Jane10 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:56:30

I don't think she was being rude Maryeliza54. She just posted some info to illustrate a different viewpoint.

maryeliza54 Fri 10-Nov-17 20:00:15

Can’t she defend herself Jane? Or has she explained herself to you and given you permission to speak on her behalf?Or you know that she wasntb been rude! Well I thought she was.

hildajenniJ Fri 10-Nov-17 20:11:10

To post a link using blue letters you have to do as follows: first copy and paste, then insert two square brackets directly before the beginning of the link this. Then at the end of the link leave a space and write whatever you like, and then finish off the brackets
The words should then be blue when you post.
Going back to the rulers of our country, I don't think I've had less faith in their abilities in all the years I've had the vote. I've voted Tory all my life but now I'm at a loss.

hildajenniJ Fri 10-Nov-17 20:12:36

Oh! I didn't realise the words would be blue without having posted a link to anything. I was trying to demonstrate the brackets.grin

M0nica Fri 10-Nov-17 20:14:39

Anya no one is suggesting you should not listen to Russian radio. I read the DM, but it certainly does not mean I share any of its views , but as you say it is good to look at how the other side see life.

But that is not what Salmond is doing he is signing up to host a program on the Russian equivalent of Fox News. The equivalent would be Jeremy Corbyn making tv programmes for Fox News. Like the Russians they would expect their programme makers to implicitly accept their political view. Can you see him doing that? I cannot

POGS Fri 10-Nov-17 20:51:11

Blimey Russia Today.

I wonder if Alex Salmon will get his wish to be Chairman of Johnson Press as well? (The Scotsman, the I etc.)

Osborne has competition.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Nov-17 20:55:43

Don’t be so bloody rude

Oh the irony!

maryeliza54 Fri 10-Nov-17 21:56:48

So calling out someone who is bloody rude is bloody rude? Oh the irony!

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 22:12:42

Can't imagine Fox News asking Corbyn.

POGS Fri 10-Nov-17 22:47:03

Corbyn and Fox News, No.

Iranian State Press TV was pleased to let Corbyn cover for George Galloway though in the past so he has some experience however .

You just never who, what where in the past, present or future we find the odd connections .

Nothing seems to surprise anymore does it.

M0nica Sat 11-Nov-17 06:33:51

Hang on, all I was saying was that what Salmond has done is the equivalent of Corbyn working for Fox News. ie do anything for money, include embracing the enemy.

Corbyn filling in on Iranian State tv seems all in keeping with a man who has a reputation for enjoying the company of extremists.

The next thing we hear will be Alex Salmond working for the BBC and based in London grin. If the money was good enough, he would probably do it

radicalnan Sat 11-Nov-17 08:26:48

Politics is a process of gaining power based on the old systems of patronage and violence. All the world over things are the same, Machiavelli was right. To be in power you have to bring down the opponents, altruism is not part of the game.

Power corrupts. Why we haven't evolved enough to deal with that concerns me greatly.

How can we have any human progress when we cannot accept human nature and find ways to curb its worst excesses.

Even the grans on here, supposedly wise by age and educated and among 'friends' want to tear each other apart over trivia at times.

I love RT to see some of the world's finest academics debating points of international interest is a bright contrast to the BBC flogging its PC agenda.

Politics is a jousting occupation, if we pretend to ourselves that it is anything else we are delusional. We only see what the media wants us to see, which is why alternatives are so interesting.

Rosina Sat 11-Nov-17 08:30:53

It would not be so depressing if there were any people in the public domain who appeared to have some stature or a moral compass. There must be somewhere, but all we hear is less than reputable behaviour coming to light, then accusations about who knew all along, resignations, and a papering over the cracks exercise. I heard a commentator say on the Today programme that the Tory party is in total disarray and the Labour lot are like Loony Tunes; this is sadly just how I see it and to have one politician with some backbone and an interest in keeping this country afloat would be so refreshing.

allule Sat 11-Nov-17 08:34:43

I was interested to hear Gordon Brown on Today yesterday, and frustrated that the interviewer only wanted tittle tattle on his relationship with Tony Blair.
He was promoting his book, but the proceeds are going to charity.

Cindersdad Sat 11-Nov-17 08:44:40

To quote "Day6" maryeliza54 you are extremely naive if you believe people go into politics for altruistic reasons.

I have met some good sincere politicians (5 of them last night) at a local meeting. I know there are some out feather their own nests, some who just want a quiet life but most do care even if we don't agree with them.

Sadly at the moment the Nasty Lot seems to have the upper hand but they will sooner or later be shown up for what they are. The cracks are already appearing.

maryeliza54 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:02:15

Why are you quoting Day Cinders ? I never made that comment and I am not so naive as to do so -FGS what is it with posters making up what someone said and then criticising it? I was making the point that the goodness of PS shines through and that I see little of this with the current Government.

Cindersdad Sat 11-Nov-17 09:30:12

I did not mean to offend you maryeliza54 and was if anything getting at Day6 not you. Better stop before this gets out of hand. CD

POGS Sat 11-Nov-17 09:33:22

"Sadly at the moment the Nasty Lot seems to have the upper hand but they will sooner or later be shown up for what they are."

The 'nasty lot' is in the eye of the beholder though Cindersded.

Jaycee5 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:49:29

M0nica You are quoting the Steele dossier. The dossier so reliable that it confused Larry King with Larry David. The complained about comments made on RT programmes that had not been broadcast for years before the comments were alleged to have been made. That was funded by the UK government, US government and Open Democracy, the organisation funded by George Soros which he recently gave £4.5b to and called it a donation to charity. The dossier written by someone straight from university who in any other job would be called an intern?
RT is not reliable on all topics, any more than the BBC or CNN are but it has some good programmes and some very interesting interviews.
I am not particularly a fan of Salmond but criticising him merely because he is doing a programme on a TV Channel that you don't happen to like based on a view of a discredited dossier is ridiculous.

Jaycee5 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:58:26

M0nica Try this for an alternative view

off-guardian.org/.../the-european-values-think-tank

M0nica Sat 11-Nov-17 10:18:58

RT is to the Kremlin what the World Service is to the Foreign Office. Always has been, probably always will be.

durhamjen Sat 11-Nov-17 10:39:44

When was the last time you watched RT?

icanhandthemback Sat 11-Nov-17 10:51:28

maryeliza54, you may not intend to but the tone of your posts when taking someone to task comes across as aggressive so I think that is probably where the irony lies. To many of us, swearing is rude!

durhamjen Sat 11-Nov-17 11:42:08

Oh, dear, maryeliza, really told off there.
In a post that sounds quite patronising, too.

Elrel Sat 11-Nov-17 12:01:09

Baggs - and absolute power corrupts absolutely