Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mugabe on house arrest.

(11 Posts)
loopyloo Wed 15-Nov-17 13:08:12

Let's hope a better Zimbabwe is on the way.

nigglynellie Wed 15-Nov-17 13:12:47

Don't think so! The new would be leader sounds every bit as awful as Mugabe. Wouldn't it be great if Zimbabwe could re join the Commonwealth and next year a wreath could be laid at the Cenotaph honouring their war dead. I won't hold my breath!!!!

Oldwoman70 Wed 15-Nov-17 13:14:34

The news seems a been confusing at the moment, the last I heard the army were "arresting criminals around Mugabe" but he was still President

humptydumpty Wed 15-Nov-17 13:32:15

He's apparently under hoouse arrest now...

vampirequeen Wed 15-Nov-17 13:44:49

He's looking for someone to offer him asylum. Hmmm will he ask us?

CherryHatrick Wed 15-Nov-17 14:43:45

I wonder where his wife Grace is? She was angling to take over from him. I think the thought of that happening was the trigger for the army to intervene.

M0nica Wed 15-Nov-17 15:16:40

His wife Grace is the cause of this army takeover. She promised to be the first African woman President to act like a 1970s African dictator, milking the country and arresting and killing off opponents. AS it is, she and her family have done very well out of being married to the president.

kittylester Wed 15-Nov-17 15:23:06

Dd2's husband came from Zimbabwe after they were told to leave their farm or else. His immediate family are here - brothers, parents and a few cousins. The rest of the family are still there, including his step grandmother and uncles, aunts and more cousins.

They are not in danger but the country being in turmoil again is a real worry.

maryeliza54 Wed 15-Nov-17 17:53:25

I would think Zuma will offer him asylum - they are bff

Oldwoman70 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:22:35

An interview with a politician in Zimbabwe has said that Grace Mugabe is still in the country and with her husband "safe" under house arrest.

hildajenniJ Wed 15-Nov-17 20:53:03

My friend D. is from Zimbabwe. She trained as a nurse at the same hospital as my sister. She married a lovely man who wasn't one of the Shona people. They went to live in South Africa when Mugabe came to power because they knew they wouldn't be safe staying in Zimbabwe. D knew that he would ruin the country.