Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit scuppers Capital of Culture

(63 Posts)
tanith Thu 23-Nov-17 17:02:37

This is such a shame for the 5 cities bidding after all the hard work they've done to enter.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42097692

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 16:20:32

nigglynellie, no, it is a lot more subtle than that.
So far.

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 16:18:52

Another layer of government that we do not need.

nigglynellie Sun 26-Nov-17 15:33:40

I feel the same about Oxford! I was born there at the old Infirmary many moons ago. Over the years it has certainly changed!!!!! Some of it beyond recognition!

sunseeker Sun 26-Nov-17 14:30:04

I agree nigglynellie and Jalima the traffic around Bristol is really bad, basically caused by the building of a metrobus system which no-one, other than the council, seems to want. There are also 20mph limits on main roads (not just around schools and hospitals) which cause more pollution.

It is a great city ruined by the previous Mayor and the current Mayor who seem more interested in self publicising vanity projects than in running the city.

Sorry for the rant by I have always loved Bristol and hate to see what is happening to it.

nigglynellie Sun 26-Nov-17 14:29:49

The city isn't that great, traffic and parking are awful.

nigglynellie Sun 26-Nov-17 14:27:44

The Chinese are doing that the world over, but they're not issuing orders regarding government.

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 14:07:59

We hope not to have to go there again!
It's a great city but the traffic all around is terrible!

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 14:07:06

Meanwhile Chinese entrepreneurs/business consortiums buy up farms in Australia .....

nigglynellie Sun 26-Nov-17 14:06:59

We were in Bristol a few weeks ago, the traffic was hideous, and green it is NOT!! We hope not to have to go there again!

nigglynellie Sun 26-Nov-17 14:03:20

As my Australian cousin remarked recently with reference to the relationship between Australia and China. ' We love to trade with them, but we would never want to be run by them'. I think this sums up how a lot of us feel about the EU.

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 14:00:56

There is often gridlock in and around Bristol - causing more and more pollution.
Green Capital hmm

sunseeker Sun 26-Nov-17 13:19:12

Bristol was European Green Capital in 2014/2015, talk to most Bristolians and they will say they saw no advantage or benefit, in fact there has been a row because full accounts have never been published to show how the money was spent.

lemongrove Sun 26-Nov-17 13:08:34

Amen to that! tchsmile

Day6 Sun 26-Nov-17 13:06:46

Firecracker and Nigglynellie, I am with you are as millions of others.

I will be glad when negotiations are over and I hope our Government stand firm and are not dictated to by EU authorities. Lots of taxpayers do NOT want us handing over an extortionate amount of money to Brussels just so they can tell us how we will proceeed in the future.

The good news is, at last people are seeing the EU as a desperate institution which needs our billions to balance their books. The more they get from us as a divorce payment, the less other member states have to pay. We are in a better bargaining position than Juncker. More and more politicians and economists are recognising this.
We should pay our dues, but no more.

Roll on the exit!

Day6 Sun 26-Nov-17 13:00:29

Well out is out and you will have to get used to it. Food will be dearer. I was in the uk again and came home a week ago. I was surprised at the price of food and believe this will get worse.

I have a friend who is resident in Spain and she says exactly the same thing. We go self catering in Europe every year and in Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, Germany and Croatia we have found no food prices drop of stay the same. Self catering on the continent (ie in European countries is very expensive.) It used to be cheap - we marvelled at cheap goods and wine in the supermarkets years ago. Now (and we are savvy shoppers and experienced self-caterers) it's often more expensive to supermarket shop on holiday in Europe than it is at home. We have noticed prices rising every year. Fact.

Here, I often use markets to save money, as do locals abroad. If you are blaming our exit from the EU for dearer food prices, I wonder what's going on in the EU for food prices to be rising on the continent too?

Firecracker123 Sun 26-Nov-17 11:57:38

Well said Nigglynellie totally agree with you. Fed up with EU bullies holding us to ransom. I've not noticed food prices going up at all in fact prices of consumer goods have gone down in the run up to Christmas. I agree also we have the UK capital of culture so no need for EU one.

nigglynellie Sun 26-Nov-17 11:01:31

I thick you'll find that over the years we've more than paid our way in this arrogant, bullying 'club'!

nigglynellie Sun 26-Nov-17 10:59:12

MargaretX. As far as I'm concerned the sooner we've left this so called club the better. With hindsight, we should never have joined in the first place, but we believed our politicians and over the years were sold a pup. City of culture? We probably wouldn't have got it anyway so frankly who cares?! If we have to walk away without paying a penny piece because of Eire, so be it! Better than being constantly bullied and pushed about by the mandarins of the EU.

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 10:32:34

I do know people who watch it MargaretX - they have a Eurovision party and dress up in daft clothes and they do realise it has become a parody of itself.
We've never been invited (thank goodness).

MargaretX Sat 25-Nov-17 21:19:37

Well out is out and you will have to get used to it. Food will be dearer. I was in the uk again and came home a week ago. I was surprised at the price of food and believe this will get worse.
MBarnier may be able to derail the plans as the question of Ireland is impossible to solve.

I can't believe anyone still watches the EU song contest. Any singer who is popular wouldn't risk their reputation on it.

cold Who could ever have believed you could remain in a club, take all the advantages and not pay the fees. The same rules apply to the EU as to the local tennis or bowls club

lemongrove Sat 25-Nov-17 19:21:37

tchgrin

Jalima1108 Sat 25-Nov-17 15:18:32

By the way I assume that the comments on Eurovision are tongue-in-cheek as people must know that the Eurovision network has nothing to do with the EU. Britain was winning the song contest long before it joined the EEC/EU
Surely you didn't think that posters were SERIOUS!
LOL

Cold Sat 25-Nov-17 15:16:21

I think it's hilarious with the faux outrage! The UK government has made it clear that they are pursuing a hard Brexit so why they thought they would be eligible for a competition in 2023 that is restricted to EU, EEA and EU applicants is totally beyond me.

I feel sorry for some of the UK cities that have wasted money but they were obviously mislead by their own government. Many of the leave campaigners, included some cabinet members, campaigned on the basis that Britain would remain in the European trade area without being full EU members - this would have made the cities eligible. However once the May government announced plans for for a hard Brexit it was clear that they were not eligible anymore.

By the way I assume that the comments on Eurovision are tongue-in-cheek as people must know that the Eurovision network has nothing to do with the EU. Britain was winning the song contest long before it joined the EEC/EU

maryeliza54 Fri 24-Nov-17 08:03:36

I thought we had said no EFTA or EEA deal? Everyone knows what we want - all the benefits of the trade deal we have now within the EU with none of the obligations of membership. What’s not to like? I still can’t understand why the pesky EU won’t give us that. SOOO unfair

suzied Fri 24-Nov-17 02:30:30

One of this years’ European Capital if Culture is Paphos in Cyprus. Very lovely it is too and well worth a visit.