Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit scuppers Capital of Culture

(62 Posts)
tanith Thu 23-Nov-17 17:02:37

This is such a shame for the 5 cities bidding after all the hard work they've done to enter.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42097692

kittylester Thu 23-Nov-17 17:11:50

My first thought was that it was a case of 'we'll teach you'! We are still in Europe!

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 17:19:07

How exactly will “we teach you” ? ( and who is “we”and “you”?)

Tegan2 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:21:23

True, but we do appear to be making it less easy for people from across the channel to visit any British city that might have won it in the future plus the fact that we seem to be giving out a message of 'we don't want furriners coming here'.

maryeliza54 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:26:03

I thought to be a candidate you had to be in a country that was in the EU or was applying so to be. Which part of voting to leave the EU do some people not understand?

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 17:28:04

Ignore my question above, I have worked it out. Of course can’t be anything to do with the UKs actions can it?. Must be those ghastly “others”fault.

Mamie Thu 23-Nov-17 17:33:11

It is for 2023 so not sure why they are surprised. ?

Day6 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:38:39

I think the UK City of Culture is far more important to the UK and brings in money too. That will remain once we leave the controlling EU.

Competing against all of Europe? I wasn't aware there was a European City of Culture award.

Let's face it - the whole continent (which we are NOT leaving) is dotted with treasure troves of culture - always has done, always will. The European City of Culture - is that a bit like the Eurovision Song Contest with statues and paintings thrown in? grin

Nil pwah to Brussels.

Day6 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:44:54

we do appear to be making it less easy for people from across the channel to visit any British city that might have won it in the future plus the fact that we seem to be giving out a message of 'we don't want furriners coming here'.

That is your mistaken impression.
Lucrative tourism is not going to end.
We will still visit European cities. People from the continent will still want to visit the UK.

We are leaving a political union and deciding our own future. Many, many people welcome that. Many Europeans envy us breaking away.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:45:34

And Australia for good measure Day6

Tegan2 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:52:28

I've spoken to people who have friends and relatives in Europe and I do believe that we've given out a 'you're not welcome' signal to visitors from other countries. As I've said before, being at Fountains Abbey prior to the referendum where there were coachloads of foreign students that had driven past all of the 'we want our country back' signs made me ashamed.

nigglynellie Thu 23-Nov-17 17:57:04

I fail to understand how it is that Councils have got money to spare for this bid when cash is so tight? Presumably no austerity in these particular citys?!!! Also, let's hope we get excluded from that frightful Eurovision 'song' (?!!) Contest? Now that would be a coup!!!

maryeliza54 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:57:46

Liverpool was the last UK European City of Culture and benefitted greatly from that. Marseille was the ECC in 2013 (a city I know extremely well) and the impact on the city was and is stunning. A real transformation.Being UK city of culture is great as well - Hull has been a resounding success this year.

kittylester Thu 23-Nov-17 17:58:54

Speculate to accumulate!

Lots of people love the Eurovision Song Contest.

maryeliza54 Thu 23-Nov-17 18:00:30

And lots of people don’t ?

Day6 Thu 23-Nov-17 18:05:53

A real transformation.Being UK city of culture is great as well - Hull has been a resounding success this year.

It has, and the UK City of Culture competition will flourish. Our resources will be concentrated here once we leave the EU, for the good of the UK.

A town in....I don't know, Slovenia, for example, becoming European Capital of Culture is not really going to affect people in say ....Totnes, is it?

We'll still be able to visit the Slovenian town and many foreign tourists have been drawn to Hull this year. Win, win.

We are leaving the EU, (hurrah!) not Europe.

maryeliza54 Thu 23-Nov-17 18:09:50

I don’t really think that’s the issue though is it - it was people being a bit ‘ooohhhhh’ about not being able to bid any more.

MaizieD Thu 23-Nov-17 19:04:35

Eurovision Song Contest has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU. It just has the dreaded letters 'euro' in its title.

I'm utterly amazed that educated British people have not heard of the European City of Culture; it's been a well publicised scheme and run since 1983.

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 19:11:16

So what, we have the UK capital of culture, who needs any other?
I stopped watching the farce that is Eurovision years ago.
We are not actually leaving Europe, though you would be forgiven for thinking we were, reading some posts.

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 19:14:14

We can’t like anything with Euro in the title can we?

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 19:22:36

Can’t you suzied ?
Depends what the Euro product is.
The Eurovision Song Contest has been a joke for years, does anyone actually like it?

M0nica Thu 23-Nov-17 19:47:52

What did any one expect? Brexit is Brexit, we are out of everything and consigned to the margins of most European entities. Out means Out.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:49:22

Eurovision Song Contest has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU. It just has the dreaded letters 'euro' in its title.

I'm utterly amazed that educated British people have not heard of the European City of Culture; it's been a well publicised scheme and run since 1983.

Um - Joke Alert!!

Worried that you didn't understand that as I presume you are educated!

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 19:49:37

.....but doesn’t mean we are missing out.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:53:02

We went to Hull this year which was designated as a UK City of Culture

Actually, the European award was, I thought, called the European Capital of Culture, not City.