Gransnet forums

News & politics

I see the EU Remainers' PROJECT FEAR is alive and well.

(1001 Posts)
Day6 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:54:27

I look forward to us leaving the EU.

The scare-mongering Remainers write post after post predicting how awful it will be. (Yes, predicting...)

Anyone would think we were incapable of knowing right from wrong and desperately in need of Brussels to guide us, to make our laws, to impose trading tariffs, generally control us, tell us who we have to accept into the country and take BILLIONS from us for the privilege of that control.

Project Fear - we have recognised it.

We need to get on with leaving the EU, pronto, but Remainers delight in the delays, mostly caused by terrified EU officials worried about EU budgets and the UK forging ahead without it's stranglehold.

Optimism rules. Let's bin Project Fear. We see it for what it is.

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 18:50:33

We voted as a nation, and now Parliament is acting upon it.
Anybody who said that leaving the EU was dead easy and could be done over a cup of tea was just grandstanding.
Only an idiot would believe that, and I don’t think that most British people are idiots.
Conversely, it’s not rocket science and though tediously long winded it will be done.

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 18:53:26

It was said before the referendum by a current Tory minister that it could be done in an afternoon over a cup of tea. Obviously an idiot.

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 18:58:09

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/05/no-one-said-brexit-would-easy-says-david-davis-sure/

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 18:58:10

I voted to remain, the country voted to leave, no one could have said how long it would take , costs etc, we have never done it before

What is a pity is some posters who bang on about democracy are unwilling to accept we are leaving because of a democratic vote

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 19:01:46

That’s the thing some leave campaigners did say it would be quick and easy and we would save loads of dosh for the NHS. We now know that not to be the case.
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-liam-fox-eu-free-trade-deal-uk-secretary-easiest-human-history-david-davis-a7850216.html

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 19:05:13

I said that anyone would be an idiot to believe it suzied it doesn’t make the person who said it an idiot.

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 19:08:30

So it’s makes them a liar then.

MaizieD Thu 23-Nov-17 19:13:17

I'd just leave the deluded to their delusions, suzied

varian Thu 23-Nov-17 19:21:33

I cannot see a time when most, or even any, of these deluded leavers will admit that they believed lies, and were fooled by the vested interests of foreign billionaires who control the popular press.

It does not seem to matter that logic, scientific expert opinion and simple common sense all show quite conclusively that they were wrong. They will not admit it. And so our country is almost certainly going to leave the EU and go into oblivion. These leavers have a lot to answer for.

It will not matter to them how bad things get for us, our children and grandchildren. They will blame it all on the EU or maybe on immigrants.

If you are still so deluded as to think that the UK can get a better deal outside of the EU than we enjoy at present, please explain the logic of that. It makes no sense.

The only hope for the future of this country is to call a halt to this brexit nonsense. Article 50 can be stopped at any time. Just because a lot of idiots were persuaded to write a suicide note, it does not mean that the whole country has to jump of a cliff. Just say NO.

mostlyharmless Thu 23-Nov-17 19:22:01

Yes we might have to pay billions to the EU as a divorce settlement. In practice 30 billion is about 3% of our GDP and it would probably be spread over several years. Not peanuts I know but not nearly as much as we will lose by not having trading agreements with the EU.
The financial Times estimated there would be a 60% drop in services sector trade alone after Brexit. Basically, the trading loss will be crippling. Then there's the intractable Irish Problem.
I can't understand why we are still hurtling headlong into the Brexit abyss. Can't somebody put the brakes on please?

mostlyharmless Thu 23-Nov-17 19:25:38

And of course the referendum was based on lies. £350 million to the NHS etc. Immigration to be cut - all nonsense.

The financing of the Leave campaign exceeded the amount allowed so that alone should make the referendum void.

mostlyharmless Thu 23-Nov-17 19:27:16

Russians sent millions of pro Leave tweets to influence the vote.

mostlyharmless Thu 23-Nov-17 19:28:54

Disreputable (and false) newspaper headlines were ordered by billionaires living in tax havens.

GillT57 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:29:43

Bloody hell. Has GN asked the editor of the Daily Express to post on here?

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 19:29:55

Hilarious that Leavers are seen as ‘deluded’ and Remainers not , the truth is that nobody is deluded,was fooled etc that is all wishful thinking.
We all had a vote and thought about which way to go, but if remainers continue to think that , then those of us who voted to leave will have to think that they are deluded too and believed all the project fear stuff.
There were lies, told by both sides but I don’t think people were so dim as to believe them.

Oldwoman70 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:40:46

I keep hearing about the £350m that could be paid to the NHS, but surely that won't be available until AFTER we have left the EU.

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 19:42:01

One wonders why anyone campaigns when the electorate are so astute that they don’t believe any of the lies. Why do people put put their trust in people they know to be evident liars ? Maybe some people are dim.

fiorentina51 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:42:27

Dennis Skinner sums up my feelings on the subject, much better than I can. Love him or loathe him, I don't think you can regard him as a racist bigot with a brain the size of a pea. You may disagree with his point of view. I don't.
www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D3xIpjA6dol8&ved=0ahUKEwjo3YeRtdXXAhWIA8AKHTIdBtYQwqsBCEswDQ&usg=AOvVaw0KbkdraColTgZS8MQZ4J22

fiorentina51 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:50:31

Tony Benn another deluded thicko??

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D0Bw_viETpBE&ved=0ahUKEwi9oPOqutXXAhXhL8AKHXjDBb4QwqsBCCgwAw&usg=AOvVaw2QciLb2ipEV_SD8gLvWoWP

petra Thu 23-Nov-17 19:56:08

Lemon
As you know, Corbyn was always against us being in the eu.
The reason being that he understood the eu never was or ever will be for the betterment of all its people.
Then.... for whatever reason he was persuaded to appear that he had voted to remain.

Now.... I do believe he is completely behind leaving.

Are some of you aware that inferio food and drink products are sold to the eastern block.
That's solidarity for you, isn't it.

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 19:56:51

Brexit was much trumpeted by the Communist -Marxist left (Lexit)
Loved Tony Benn and Denis Skinner in lots of ways but not exactly current thinking, I am sure you agree with their beliefs on everything else? Why not quote Trotsky as well?

TerriBull Thu 23-Nov-17 20:05:33

A thead on GN a couple of days ago titled "Eastern European Car Wash" threw up the subject of not only exploitation in ventures such as these, but of the proliferation of pop up businesses being a front for money laundering, drug dealing, prostitution and other ills. We have also read about "hot bedding" with up to 30 young people sharing a house suitable for say a family of 4. Some of these issues, and correct me if I'm wrong, seem to be a direct consequence of free movement. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of regulation, or not that I'm aware of, how the interests of the people who staff such places are being met. I understand there are shortages of workers in certain industries and they have a need to recruit from abroad. However, I think it only encourages employers who have no scruples such as a certain millionaire who owns a chain of sports shops and who had packed Eastern European staff into sub standard housing in Derbyshire to get away with operating in such a way At the inception of free movement was it ever supposed to be thus, exploitation wages, worse still trafficking young women for brothels and enforced labour.

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 20:16:06

People trafficking etc not just the result of EU free movement of labour, many of those exploited , trafficked etc are not from the EU, they’re more likely to be from the Philllipines, Vietnam, Eritrea, Somalia, Ukraine, and many other non EU countries. They’re more likely to be exploited if they are illegal.

durhamjen Thu 23-Nov-17 20:23:39

Looked at logically, most of us on here will be dead by the time Brexit is sorted out, so we won't know who is right.

TerriBull Thu 23-Nov-17 20:24:22

Whilst I accept young women are trafficked from other places outside the EU, I've certainly read of numerous police raids on establishments where those being held were from Eastern Europe. Athough Albania is not in the EU they are one of the main culprits behind such crimes.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion