Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oscar Pistorius

(88 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 24-Nov-17 17:35:55

So he has had sentence doubled - about time too!
I wonder what his legal team were hoping for? Sympathy for the poor chap, traumatised by being in prison? angry
Just sorry for the poor Steenkamp family who are presumably having to relive the nightmare.

Anniebach Tue 28-Nov-17 08:40:24

He had been moved from the Met some time before because of his red rages, moved to another force, then brought back to the Met, his fellow offices lied , a crooked police pathologist lied, disgrace to British justice.

maryeliza54 Tue 28-Nov-17 06:18:08

He was tried for manslaughter but found not guilty. He was however dismissed from the police service. The whole episode was a very sorry saga - the pathology service, the IPCC - the poor family having to fight for justice. The whole affair absolutely stank to high heaven. If it hadn’t been for a. video taken by an American tourist and sent to the Guardian the family wouldn’t even have received the modicum of justice they eventually did.

Anniebach Tue 28-Nov-17 03:22:45

The British police officer who killed Ian Tomlinson suffered from red rages, wasn't even charged .

Jane10 Mon 27-Nov-17 22:06:43

Alcohol involved too. All in all a deadly combination.

Anniebach Mon 27-Nov-17 20:37:50

Jane , I was thinking of other drugs

Jane10 Mon 27-Nov-17 20:33:15

Sigh. Yes exactly. They did. He was recorded as taking steroids - roid rage was another factor just glossed over.

Anniebach Mon 27-Nov-17 19:29:41

If so, I doubt it would have been made public, the country would lose his medals

BlueBelle Mon 27-Nov-17 17:37:52

I do wonder if steroids or other sports related drugs played any part in his aggression

Iam64 Mon 27-Nov-17 14:02:46

She should not have hanged and I agree, hopefully her brutal death strengthened the campaign against the death penalty.

Back to Oscar P and the OP. Oscar denied any murderous intent towards Reeva. The defence that he thought he was shooting at a burglar wasn't accepted by the Court and I'm not unhappy that his sentence has been extended. As a previous poster reported, this wasn't the first time he lost control and then denied responsibility. I recognise his disability and fame as a result of determination and skill are part of the issues the Court should consider and I believe it has.

Anniebach Mon 27-Nov-17 13:42:51

Ruth Ellis pleaded guilty and yes her hanging did anger some in this country and strengthen the campaign against the death penalty . She should not have hanged.

eazybee Mon 27-Nov-17 13:31:52

As far as I can remember, Ruth Ellis never denied that she had murdered David Blakley intentionally, with malice aforethought, and she accepted her sentence as inevitable; Albert Pierrepoint, the hangman, said she died bravely, 'like a man'. (pause for discussion?) All the arguments and searches for excuses came later. I don't think they emanated from her, but her case certainly contributed to reform of the death penalty.

maryeliza54 Sun 26-Nov-17 17:02:02

I have no idea what you are getting at ab and I couldn’t care less

Anniebach Sun 26-Nov-17 13:53:21

Criticising is difficult for you Maryeliza?

Friday Sun 26-Nov-17 13:41:50

Yes thaks for the heads up Chewbacca (and others ?)

maryeliza54 Sun 26-Nov-17 13:39:59

I have not criticised her parents - I stated a fact that we do not know the full situation and even if I did, I wouldn’t criticise them.

Chewbacca Sun 26-Nov-17 13:16:30

I’m not going to argue with you Anniebach 09.08

hmm

humptydumpty Sun 26-Nov-17 13:03:03

fgs Friday angry I rarely agree with Annie but her interpretation of your post is perfectly reasonable. Why has whether a woman is 'innocent' or not in the way you are saying you meant have anything to do with the case?

Friday Sun 26-Nov-17 12:50:01

You are only seeing one meaning of the word innocence, and that is the opposite of guilty. Because you cannot see beyond that one meaning then you are unable to process the wider concept.

Anniebach Sun 26-Nov-17 12:37:47

Really Friday? This was the reason for you saying - Ruth Ellis was no innocent little woman she had already aborted a child deliberately . So women who have had abortions can not be described as innocent women , interesting but cruel

Friday Sun 26-Nov-17 12:31:32

D’you know Anniebach there are. any reasons for people losing their innocence. I should imagine having an abortion, would put most people into that category in the same way that a child who has been abused, physically, emotionally or sexually can be said to have lost their innocence? Loss of innocence in not a crime, it more part of the journey of life. Why you should think the worst of people I cannot understand

Anniebach Sun 26-Nov-17 12:24:35

Friday, you certaintly didn't have a problem with stating your views on Ruth Ellis having an abortion

Maryeliza, I know no more than you ,yet you have no problem with criticising when you know little

maryeliza54 Sun 26-Nov-17 12:19:20

So annie you think parents who have lost a child can be freely criticised when in reality we know f* all really about the full situation and even if we did, why criticise anyway? OP murdered her - end of.

maryeliza54 Sun 26-Nov-17 12:16:57

The girl who killed the little girl in the park is severely mentally ill fgs

Friday Sun 26-Nov-17 12:14:04

As you say Annie their choice not ours to criticise those we know little about.

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 11:07:38

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29607774

Blood money can be paid in South Africa but the Steenkamps rejected this - they needed cash urgently and intend to repay all that was paid to them.