Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Harry’s engagement

(683 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 27-Nov-17 10:23:29

Hope this is not “fake news” but relief from the endless speculation.
Good luck to them! ??

Nannylovesshopping Mon 27-Nov-17 11:53:16

Oh maryeliza bet you're fun at the Christmas partytchsmile

maryeliza54 Mon 27-Nov-17 11:56:35

She will of course now be the recipient of all his unearned status rank and privilege as his wife - titles, curtsies etc so my point stands.

maryeliza54 Mon 27-Nov-17 11:57:05

I’m bloody great fun at any party thank you.

maryeliza54 Mon 27-Nov-17 12:02:32

And why do you have to start being personal?

kittylester Mon 27-Nov-17 12:05:03

I'm chuffed for them and wish them well.

I can't come to the parry! grin

gillybob Mon 27-Nov-17 12:05:46

A royal wedding will be a wonderful distraction for the nation

Really?

Presumably as first time buyers I do hope they get to take advantage of the zero Stamp Duty for all houses up to £300,000. Would be a shame for them to miss out. tchwink

Luckygirl Mon 27-Nov-17 12:12:41

They both have a history of working for humanitarian causes and if they, as a couple, can use the clout they will have to further these causes, then I applaud that. Better than sitting back and wallowing in their status and wealth.

As with any young couple embarking on marriage, I wish them well, even though maryeliza might see that as "shallow."

There are plenty of examples of royals who do not have their integrity. We should be pleased at their vision and pleased for their happiness.

I am no royalist, but I think we have here a better example of what this can mean.

NanaandGrampy Mon 27-Nov-17 12:23:54

Fabulous I wish them every happiness and as I am celebrating my 41st wedding anniversary today I shall lift a glass to them !

Christinefrance Mon 27-Nov-17 12:28:21

Well said MawBroon & N&G. Let's wish them well in their future together. Good to have something pleasant to think about.

Alima Mon 27-Nov-17 12:29:09

Congratulations N&G!

nigglynellie Mon 27-Nov-17 12:39:25

I too with them well, and as for the sour comments on here and elsewhere, how on earth can Prince Harry help the situation he was born into? none of us as far as I'm aware have a say in the matter of our birth! what's he supposed to do, join a monastery and do endless penance for having been born into a privileged family? As far as I can see, a lot of the younger royals quietly get on with trying to do some good in this world and don't deserve to be sneered at.

paddyann Mon 27-Nov-17 12:43:14

what "integrity " is that? Wearing a Nazi uniform to a party,having sex parties in hotels ,being photographed with his "kill" when hunting, and multiple other things that hit the headlines...but thats OK ...he's a PRINCE!!!! I truly dont understand why .. .so many are still cap doffing,fawning peasants where the royalty are concerned .Honestly I think you're all nuts!Its the 21st cnetury for goodness sake....lete get rid and be a republic

nigglynellie Mon 27-Nov-17 12:50:31

Heavens, paddyann, that was all donkeys years ago! Have you never done anything in your youth that you now feel ashamed of?! What about the invictus games, charity work in Africa and numerous other events bringing sunshine into peoples lives, or is this young man, together with ALL rich kids, beyond redemption? What a bitter person you sound. I feel sorry to you.

glammanana Mon 27-Nov-17 12:51:31

MaryelisaPrince Harry's unearned status is a circumstance of his birth not something he just fell into, the same thing could equally have happened to you.Bah Humbug
I totally agree with Maebroon & NG
Sorry niggley nearly duplicated your post.

Luckygirl Mon 27-Nov-17 12:52:37

I will certainly not be doffing my cap to him (or her) and share the concern about some of his actions. But who amongst us did not do things we now regret when young? - but we had the privilege of being able to keep these secret and not being in the public eye.

He appears to have risen above these juvenile actions and the cultural determinants (e.g. hunting rituals) that surround his life; and to use his status to further humanitarian causes. Let us give him credit for that.

As others have said, it was not his choice to be born into royalty.

maryeliza54 Mon 27-Nov-17 12:53:34

Well gilly re stamp duty - did you hear You and Yours today? Builders who have given buyers a deal to pay their stamp duty are going to be thousands in profit as they are not going have to pay it now and are refusing to pass it on the buyers. Well jolly good that M&H won’t have to worry about anything so boring as that. Bread and circuses, bread and circuses. I love the way on here that people think they ‘know’ members of the royal family as if there isn’t a huge PR machine regularly churning out mind numbing propaganda about them

maryeliza54 Mon 27-Nov-17 12:54:17

Any member of the royal family can quit if they want to

maryeliza54 Mon 27-Nov-17 12:56:45

If you are born into something, of course you fell into it. My point is we shouldn’t have that sort of inherited rank and privilege in the 21st century ( or any century for that matter). He could try working a bit harder for one thing - he’s 33 ffs not a young man

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 12:58:28

Congratulations and good luck to them both.

gillybob if they decided to have a pied-a-terre in London they could take advantage of up to £500,00 nil stamp duty tchwink.

Love them, loathe them or take a pragmatic approach about them - the publicity all the royals bring to the charities they support results in increased funds for those charities - far in excess of anything that a non-political presidential family would attract.

RSVP - sorry I have another appointment on the day of the party

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 13:00:38

Congratulations to N&G too wine
It looks like red wine but is in fact champagne N&G

grumppa Mon 27-Nov-17 13:02:36

Markle, eh? Is she by any chance a distant cousin of the Merkels? If so, it could be useful in Brexit negotiations provided Angela can hang on for a bit longer as Chancellor; the Hanover/Saxe-Coburg Gotha/Battenberg connection isn't worth much these days.

trisher Mon 27-Nov-17 13:07:40

Who cares? I'll save my celebratons for the divorce announcement I'll give it 10 years (any advance?)

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 13:08:16

Markle could be Scottish
There is also a village called Much Marcle in Herefordshire

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 13:09:00

Why would you celebrate someone's divorce?
confused
Especially if there are children involved as there could well be.

eazybee Mon 27-Nov-17 13:13:53

Two down, one to go. The sourpusses, that is.
So predictable.