Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Harry’s engagement

(683 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 27-Nov-17 10:23:29

Hope this is not “fake news” but relief from the endless speculation.
Good luck to them! ??

Anniebach Wed 06-Dec-17 11:21:11

Queenie was at the second wedding

annodomini Wed 06-Dec-17 10:56:20

I don't think Princess Anne's second wedding was a big occasion. It was very quiet and not widely publicised. I seem to remember that it was in Crathie Church which is Balmoral's local kirk. If the Queen was there, the press didn't spot her - she doesn't appear in any of the (few) photographs taken at the time.

Anniebach Wed 06-Dec-17 09:17:05

Ann couldn't have married in the CofE in 1992 , so little choice. Charles and Camilla couldn't because they had affairs whilst married to first spouses. Now the Anglican Church accepts marriage of divorcees queenie can attend this wedding.

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:38:44

Presumably she attended Princess Anne's second wedding - can't remember. I think she did but she could because it was in the Church of Scotland, not Church of England of which she is Supreme Head. I expect the A of C will advise her.

merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 22:38:39

Whether or not the Duke of Edinburgh will be well enough to attend in five months time remains to be seen but I'm sure if they are both in good health they will be there.

merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 22:36:00

Of course the Queen will go to the wedding. She didn't go to Charles and Camilla's civil bit before the ceremony in St. George's chapel but then apart from the witnesses neither did anyone else as it wasn't necessary.

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:28:21

Interesting thought!

Anniebach Tue 05-Dec-17 22:26:20

Just a thought, will queenie go to the wedding ? She didn't go to the marriage or Charles and Camilla but went to the blessing. So will she miss the wedding or decide if the church accept the marriage of a divorce she is free to do so.

Anniebach Tue 05-Dec-17 18:57:30

Wonder how it was willed by Victoria

SueDonim Tue 05-Dec-17 18:37:20

Annsixty you'll note I said 'used to'. I don't anymore. grin

durhamjen Tue 05-Dec-17 17:41:04

In 1820, John Bowes, of the Bowes Museum, wasn't allowed to inherit the Lyon estate when his dad, the tenth Earl of Strathmore died, because he hadn't spent enough time in Scotland. It passed to his brother or his cousin, which is why the Queen mum was brought up at Glamis.
Whe she married, they sold off one of their castles near Barnard Castle to pay for the wedding.
I wonder if the Scottish inheritancy laws will still apply.

annsixty Tue 05-Dec-17 16:11:43

Ooh how posh grin

SueDonim Tue 05-Dec-17 15:45:22

I don't know in detail about William & Harry but a number of the royals use Balmoral (or other properties in the grounds) on a regular basis.

They don't get bothered by the press and the locals are used to them so they can lead a relatively normal life. I used to have the same cleaning lady as the Queen! grin

Anniebach Tue 05-Dec-17 14:24:27

Very few have holiday homes large enough to house all their rellies.

I think the generation of Charles sons will holiday abroad, Harry has a passion for Africa , can't see Megan dressed for deer stalking

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:10:02

ps I read it as 'wellies' first of all

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:09:28

I remember when my dad was given a pheasant which hung in the cold conservatory for a few days, then mum cooked it and we wouldn't eat any because it was full of shot.

Nobody lugs all their rellies around with them these days.....do they? well, if I could get them all together in one country I probably would grin

trisher Tue 05-Dec-17 11:00:12

Jalima1108 Not entirely veggie. In my youth I ate anything-venison, pheasant, rabbit, anything. I remember picking bits of shot out of pheasants. Somehow as I have grown older I seem to have cut meat out. Not sure why, just don't like it as much as I used to.

merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 10:54:15

My point is that although the younger royals spent holidays at Balmoral as children I'm not sure they will want to carry on the annual tradition when the Queen is no longer alive.

We've argued about discussed their many homes/castles on here and to be fair to the Queen she has always spread herself around them but I can see future generations preferring to holiday abroad or have their own more modest holiday homes.

Nobody lugs all their rellies around with them these days.....do they? grin

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Dec-17 10:10:06

sorry!! fat finger trisher

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Dec-17 10:09:51

I take it you're a vegetarian tgrisher
I respect that, I have friends who are, but we are not.

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Dec-17 10:08:35

I think it could mean sanctuary, a refuge, because apparently HM and P Philip took the boys walking in the hills just afterwards, away from the intrusive media, until they were forced back into the public eye by TB.

Iam64 Tue 05-Dec-17 10:04:14

Does that mean that Balmoral won't forever cause associations with the shock of their mother's death trisher?

trisher Tue 05-Dec-17 10:00:57

I thought Wills and Harry spent much of ther childhood there hunting things?

SueDonim Mon 04-Dec-17 23:04:55

Charles and Camilla spend a lot of time at Balmoral. Not the palace itself but a smaller place in the grounds. They're often in the local village especially since the Storm Frank floods two years ago.

merlotgran Mon 04-Dec-17 22:37:18

I don't think the younger members of the RF spend much time at Balmoral - other than the obligatory visits. Charles loves it and apparently Camilla does to but she might not have much of a choice.

Diana hated it and William and Harry probably associate the place with the shock of their mother's death.

Once the Queen and D of E have gone I wonder if Balmoral will play such an important part in the RF's calendar?