Gransnet forums

News & politics

Party leaders

(187 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 29-Nov-17 16:32:20

No doubt they would have a hard job getting elected if they refused to sign!
No prospective or sitting MP should feel pressured into this from any Party, although Labour is the only one to be doing it.
Corbyn and McDonnell will probably say it has nothing to do with them, as usual, while they look the other way and
whistle.Meantime, Momentum is slowly but surely getting it’s tentacles into all aspects of the LP.

Primrose65 Wed 29-Nov-17 16:26:08

Prospective candidates are being asked to sign
- Commit to the following political objectives, as set out in Momentum’s Constitution
- The manifesto clause is "subject to future policy development", so no, quite specifically not the published manifesto trisher

It's a personal pledge to Momentum and a commitment to unspecified policy.

Jon Lansman may be many things, but he certainly knows how to build a business and a power base within the LP. A personal commitment to the political objectives of Jon Lansman is far scarier than asking to support the current leader - JC is just the useful idiot imo.

Anniebach Wed 29-Nov-17 15:39:45

Oh dear, Corbynites think he is the only party leader in the country, usual move to bring a thread to a halt

Ilovecheese Wed 29-Nov-17 15:33:18

What Trisher said

trisher Wed 29-Nov-17 15:03:23

This is the sort of twisted reporting of a story that typifies the worst sort of propaganda. No MPs are being asked to sign anything. Prospective candidates are being asked to sign a loyalty agreement if they want Momentum to back them. Among the clauses is one that they will fully implement the promises in the manifesto (something I think most would want). Momentum have said they would support all Labour MPs once elected
The spokesman pointed out that the group only looks for loyalty from candidates at the pre-selection phase for the would-be MPs, but it supports all candidates when they have been nominated by Labour to run for parliament.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/labour-party-momentum-would-be-candidates-forced-urged-sign-deal-contract-accord-jeremy-corbyn-peter-a8076446.html
A little balance would be nice

paddyann Wed 29-Nov-17 15:01:36

I think their main loyalty is to the people who voted for them not the leader ,maybe Labour wouldn't have abstained so often over important things if they were allowed to vote with constituents in mind

Anniebach Wed 29-Nov-17 14:40:37

This is all parties not one party

Fennel Wed 29-Nov-17 14:19:13

I always thought that an MP's loyalty should be first to his/her conscience, second to the constituency party that chose him, and third to the party leader.
I think can see where the question comes from though - when the current LP leader was elected, you could see that he was going to have a difficult task uniting the party behind him. Partly due to their many years out of power, (not including the Blair/Brown years) - time for several factions to develop.

Baggs Wed 29-Nov-17 13:55:56

What iam said.

Just as a bye the bye, how insecure and how much of a power freak does feeling the need for a loyalty vote make a party leader?

Iam64 Wed 29-Nov-17 13:48:55

No I would not want prospective party candidates to sign a loyalty to the leader clause.
I want my political representatives to work within the policies of their party but to be free to disagree with the leader when they believe that to be the right course of action.

kittylester Wed 29-Nov-17 13:38:04

No I wouldn't Annie, ours is a regular thorn in the side = which I welcome sometimes.

I agree with you that it is taking away the freedom to vote with your conscience but also voting you think your constituents want you to vote.

But, I think we should both hide now!!

Anniebach Wed 29-Nov-17 13:27:39

No matter the Party you support or are considering supporting would you be content for your party candidates to sign a loyalty to the leader clause or not being allowed to stand ,do you see it as taking away freedom to vote with one's conscience?