Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson at his best. Terrorism speech.

(92 Posts)
Day6 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:25:16

Oh I know this means Boris Johnson will be criticised now by the majority of those who contribute to this forum, but his speech against terrorism (live from Whitehall now) is hitting the nail right on the head.

I see him usually as a buffoon, a bit of a liability and someone who speaks off the cuff and can be clumsy with words, but right now his insight and intelligence is impressive, as is his sensitivity for Islam, and he is extremely eloquent.

Boris Johnson in a new mode, which I'll admit is long overdue but I suspect in this speech he speaks for most of us. Bravo Mr Johnson, journalist, historian and politician.

OK, let the slagging off begin - or will he be given credit where credit is due?

Primrose65 Sat 09-Dec-17 15:31:25

dj I don't think you heard the speech we're talking about. I think all those quotes come from a magazine article written after the 7/7 bombings in 2005.

durhamjen Sat 09-Dec-17 15:20:42

“The Iraq war did not create the problem of murderous Islamic fundamentalists, though the war has unquestionably sharpened the resentments felt by such people in this country, and given them a new pretext.

“The Iraq war did not introduce the poison into our bloodstream but, yes, the war did help to potentiate that poison.

“And whatever the defenders of the war may say, it has not solved the problem of Islamic terror, or even come close to providing the beginnings of a solution.

“You can’t claim to be draining the swamp in the Middle East when the mosquitoes are breeding quite happily in Yorkshire.”

lemongrove Sat 09-Dec-17 15:07:42

Boris is not a ‘polished’ performer, but that doesn’t mean he is useless/ clueless or any other ‘less’ that people often throw at him.Generally speaking though, I think he may have been better in another role instead of Foreign Secretary.

durhamjen Sat 09-Dec-17 15:07:27

Except, of course, I think we are part of the problem.
Selling arms to Saudi Arabia so they can bomb Yemen is part of the problem, and there's no getting away from that fact.

durhamjen Sat 09-Dec-17 15:00:51

Certainly not whoever wrote his speech about Nazanin - or if it was, Boris has learnt his lesson and stuck to the script.

Baggs Sat 09-Dec-17 15:00:13

Actually, suzied, given how rare it is, it is a bit if a shock to come across a good political speech. That was my point. I don't remember anything horrific in the one in question. Do you?

Baggs Sat 09-Dec-17 14:58:35

So do I.

whitewave Sat 09-Dec-17 14:40:45

I wonder who wrote it?

suzied Sat 09-Dec-17 14:13:47

Shock! horror! Politician gives good speech!

durhamjen Sat 09-Dec-17 14:10:16

infacts.org/go-whistle/

Baggs Sat 09-Dec-17 13:20:43

I think good speeches from politicians of all flavours are actually quite rare and that that's why people who thought the Boris speech in question was good said so. It isn't only Tories who think it was good.

jura2 Fri 08-Dec-17 22:36:09

Assumptions Lemon? - pot and kettle. Your assumptions that anyone with a social conscience or anyone who is a remainer- is a hardent Corbyn supporter and ultra left winger- really shows YOUR ignorance and prejudice.

lemongrove Fri 08-Dec-17 20:11:00

tchgrin

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Dec-17 19:59:23

I'm not a fan of any current politician that I know of.
Not that I am a fan I hasten to add - and I would add that ET would not get my vote either.

mary one semi-sensible speech does not a future leader make All the more amazing that Corbyn was elected leader. You can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time etc .....

Back to Boris becoming masterful and sensible grin

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Dec-17 19:54:00

meliza - what because of the three stooges remark?

lemongrove is absolutely right, they are like the three stooges and the sooner the Labour Party comes to its senses and appoints the likes of Keir Starmer, Hillary Benn etc to the forefront the sooner they will be in power at the next GE.

maryeliza54 Fri 08-Dec-17 19:09:36

Bloody hell lemon what are you on?

lemongrove Fri 08-Dec-17 16:32:25

I try not to go around despising others for their choice of political party, even those who support the three stooges on the opposition benches ( Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot)
Each to their own.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 08-Dec-17 16:20:54

Who hates? Tory views have pushed more people into worse poverty than we have seen for many decades. However, if people continue to commit these acts or enable those who do I certainly despise their choice of how they treat others.

lemongrove Fri 08-Dec-17 16:07:02

It may have been ironic and rhetorical GG but we have never before been in a climate nationally of so much hate expressed by people about other people who hold dissimilar views.It’s sad.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 08-Dec-17 15:44:34

It was both ironic and rhetorical Lemon's. No answer required. I can quite see why someone would not want to admit to holding the views espoused by the current Tory party.

lemongrove Fri 08-Dec-17 15:36:20

We are all plenty old enough to see ruling political parties come and go, come election time, but there was never the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth like there is now after a GE.

lemongrove Fri 08-Dec-17 15:34:09

Because in the past ( recent past!) Nobody had any problems about saying if asked, that they supported the Conservatives.
Of course, coming out as gay isn’t as hard as it was either.
I think it shows that lots of people feel this way, that they will be torn to shreds on forums or anywhere public if they say the Conservative or Tory word.Very few on Gransnet will for a start.hmm

GracesGranMK2 Fri 08-Dec-17 15:21:31

...who said it was far more difficult coming out as a Conservative supporter than coming out as gay

Why is that surprising?

GracesGranMK2 Fri 08-Dec-17 15:19:57

I think I must have missed another speech.

A man who has been put in high office makes a speech without putting his foot in it. This is the level the Conservatives have sunk to that they are applauding the fact that a simple speech is given and it is not done badly or inefficiently. Things in the party are generally so awful that their supporters feel this deserves a thread of its own!

The rest of the politicians must protect us from this cruel, incompetent and self-serving party.

nigglynellie Fri 08-Dec-17 14:30:01

I agree with you wholeheartedly Day6. No Prime Minister in living memory has had such a thankless task and suffered so much sustained vitriol as Mrs May has for month in month out. I can't imagine anyone on the Labour side having the tenacity or courage to relentlessly soldier on in the face of so much adversity. Labour are full of criticism (the easy bit) but not so hot on solutions (the difficult bit!) Mrs May has both my support and admiration.