Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson at his best. Terrorism speech.

(91 Posts)
Day6 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:25:16

Oh I know this means Boris Johnson will be criticised now by the majority of those who contribute to this forum, but his speech against terrorism (live from Whitehall now) is hitting the nail right on the head.

I see him usually as a buffoon, a bit of a liability and someone who speaks off the cuff and can be clumsy with words, but right now his insight and intelligence is impressive, as is his sensitivity for Islam, and he is extremely eloquent.

Boris Johnson in a new mode, which I'll admit is long overdue but I suspect in this speech he speaks for most of us. Bravo Mr Johnson, journalist, historian and politician.

OK, let the slagging off begin - or will he be given credit where credit is due?

Primrose65 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:57:55

I've been watching that too and was surprised. No slagging off from me. He was very measured and very eloquent. Hope it's a permanent improvement.

eazybee Thu 07-Dec-17 12:03:59

Yes, agree with you, Day6. Thoughtful and considered and addressing issues that need to be confronted.

Baggs Thu 07-Dec-17 12:37:35

Good speech, well delivered. Thanks for the heads up, day6.

Jane10 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:46:37

Yes. Credit where its due. Maybe this is a side of him the public doesn't usually see and is why people who know him have promoted him?

maryeliza54 Thu 07-Dec-17 15:47:34

One good speech does not a statesman make - no one would be commenting favourably if his general standard, that we should expect, were better.

Baggs Thu 07-Dec-17 16:21:06

Oh, I don't know, meliza. Gransnetters are pretty good at commenting on everything under the sun. Why should BoJo be singled out for no comment just because he's done something right for a change?

suzied Thu 07-Dec-17 16:24:13

He is certainly capable of giving a good, prepared speech - thats what politicians are paid to do. He is not so good at off the cuff remarks and attention to detail whilst in office.

Primrose65 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:25:57

This was answering questions coming from journalists and others, suzied. Perhaps he's now good at that as well.

whitewave Thu 07-Dec-17 16:28:33

mary one semi-sensible speech does not a future leader make. That is the point, bearing in mind that the Torygraph think Maybot is finished.

eazybee Thu 07-Dec-17 16:40:09

You never fail to delight, Maryeliza and Whitewave.
So predictable.

maryeliza54 Thu 07-Dec-17 17:21:40

Whilst your posts eazybee never fail to remind me how little actual contribution to a thread they make

suzied Thu 07-Dec-17 17:29:31

He’s glib, superficially charming and gives out a few good Latin quips. Maybe he’s about to launch a leadership bid. Who knows - nothing would surprise me. I can’t forget his hopelessness as mayor of London - lying , money wasting, laziness. Perfect qualifications for a Tory leader.

POGS Thu 07-Dec-17 19:40:47

I watched the full speech on Sky News today and I agree Day 6 it was a measured speech and covered a wide range of topics.

I actually thought he showed more statesmanship than some in Parliament today over 'another' Urgent Question this time on Donald Trump .

Baggs Thu 07-Dec-17 20:18:41

Didn't he do two stints as Mayor of London? How odd that enough Londoners liked the "lying, money wasting, laziness" of his mayoral style to vote him in twice. I guess the other candidates were even worse ?

suzied Thu 07-Dec-17 20:32:43

Yes ken Livingstone was past his sell by when challenging Boris so weak opponent. Ken was voted in more than once as well. Just because someone is voted in twice can just mean they are pretty good at pulling the wool. The lying , money wasting, laziness is still being uncovered - one example last week.

GrandmaMoira Thu 07-Dec-17 20:35:35

The speech I heard was quite simple with comments it would be hard to disagree with, maybe there's more I missed. I'm not keen on Boris but I think he's like Marmite - love him or hate him - hence being elected twice as London Mayor.

lemongrove Thu 07-Dec-17 20:42:40

I have heard him speak well and sensibly before now, but too often , when unprepared, he says things that probably shouldn’t be said. He is intelligent and has some charm, but
Needs to stick to the script.
I suppose that we shouldn’t wish all our Ministers and MP’s to be too bland though.
T May promoted him when she didn’t have to, so must rate him highly.

suzied Thu 07-Dec-17 20:44:14

His vanity projects, ideological dogma and poor decisions cost Londoners over £900 m- just looked it up. That’s without all the promises on housing, not closing fire stations etc which were never kept. Still, I’m sure his fans won’t care about his record if he can give a good speech and speak a bit of Latin. Let’s hope he keeps his word and goes to Iran to help release that poor woman in prison.

lemongrove Thu 07-Dec-17 20:49:16

Am very tempted to say ( so I will) grin that if Corbyn and friends got into power any time soon, that his vanity projects, idealogical dogma and poor decisions could cost this country much more than that!

lemongrove Thu 07-Dec-17 20:50:53

I will now give my naughty self a slap on the wrist for introducing the C word into this thread......sorry!

willsmadnan Thu 07-Dec-17 20:57:28

He- he ... maryliza-something-or other and whitewave living up to expectations. Give us a break girls, and change the record.
I'm in a particularly combative mood tonight grin

suzied Thu 07-Dec-17 21:12:52

Is that an impact assessment lemon? We all know what they’re worth!

lemongrove Thu 07-Dec-17 21:14:24

Just called being realistic suzied

Baggs Thu 07-Dec-17 21:20:23

I think one can appreciate a speech a person makes and find amusing certain unrelated detractions that are cited about that person without being a fan.

I'm not a fan of any current politician that I know of.