Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour supporters may be ignorant.

(138 Posts)
Day6 Mon 11-Dec-17 19:26:35

"The kindest explanation is that Labour members don’t know who they are following."

Anyone else read this article in the Guardian? I know many of us are concerned about the affect of the aggressive far left and Momentum's part in the Labour Party in recent years. Many people have turned away from Labour, whilst many (especially the young) have signed up for membership. Do they fully understand what's going on within the party and why moderate Labour MPs have not supported Corbyn and co?

Nick Cohen writes "Watching them (supporters) run towards John McDonnell, Seumas Milne and Andrew Murray is like watching lambs flock to wolves. They shouldn’t be on the same planet, let alone belong to the same party."

amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/09/what-would-it-take-for-labour-moderates-to-revolt?__twitter_impression=true

Kate Forrester writing in the Huffington Post suggests it might be that Labour as the party stands has to win an election before the light will dawn on some followers. "Corbyn and Momentum have to be able to crash the bus and have their fingerprints all over the steering wheel." before people will wake up and see what's happening.

"Labour MP John Spellar told a recent gathering of moderate MPs and activists in Parliament that Momentum - the campaign group behind Corbyn - was staging an “attack on social democracy”.

He added: “One of the things we have to be absolutely clear about with Momentum is winning an election is not their first priority. Control of the party is their fundamental ideological objective.”

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-moderates-corbynites-must-be-allowed-to-crash-the-bus-before-anything-will-change_uk_59c23722e4b087fdf50939e3

trisher Sat 16-Dec-17 14:27:10

It was, and remains, a right that if you live more than 3 miles from the nearest secondary school you are entitled to free transport.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 14:31:55

I know it is now, hadn't realised the same applied in those days.

I just checked - 2.9 miles! But there was no bus even for those who lived much further out, we all caught service buses. Perhaps those living further away from school got a bus pass.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 14:32:45

it just felt like miles on a bike on a cold October morning.

durhamjen Sat 16-Dec-17 14:55:15

Free bus pass as it was two buses, one to city centre and one out, and took at least 45 minutes depending on timing.

lemongrove Sat 16-Dec-17 14:58:21

Same for me exactly, two bus rides and at least 45 minutes to get to school.No free bus pass!

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:56:50

Yes, two buses for me, or else a bus into town and a good walk out of town the other way.

Or my trusty bike.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 17-Dec-17 01:33:30

It was between 3 and 4 miles from my house to the school, but the weird thing is it wasn't even my nearest school. The catchment area must have changed later because my youngest brother went to the closer school. I don't think it was even 2 miles away. I would have had to get a bus in to town and out again, but the bus stop was almost a mile away from the school anyway. I used to walk with my brother and meet up with my best friend half way which was fine, but it was miserable in bad weather.

trisher that list of things that the LEA had to provide is interesting and a sign of the times. I remember when I worked for Social Security on the means tested benefit section (Supplementary Benefit or Supp Ben) in the late 70s early 80s, there was a similar list of what the benefit was supposed to cover. This stuck in my mind because the cost of a daily newspaper was on the list. The important thing about the list was that in theory you could tot up the cost of the things on the list and get a rough idea of how the rate of benefit was calculated. In 1988 Supp Ben was replaced with Income Support (or IS) and a similar list was never published.

IS was part of a major benefits reform programme intended to simplify the system. It also brought huge job cuts - tens of thousands of jobs. I have always believed that was the turning point for means tested benefits and Social Security benefits in general. That same level of consideration of what the benefit was supposed to cover was never again even a factor in developing the new benefits.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 17-Dec-17 06:29:56

"Labour supporters may be ignorant". What a very nasty OP. Applying the CRAPPE test to the sources quoted might have been useful. Just a couple would tell you the first article does not stand up as a reference.

What knowledge is it that LP supporters are supposed to lack? Was it the fact that the writer did not only support the Iraq War, he advocated it. Was it the fact that he is a known critic of "Stop the War"? Knowing that would mean we could judge the likelihood of this man writing in a reasonably unbiased way - he isn't going to is he?

He has also written a book called "How the left lost its way" so I imagine he is hoping to get more buyers on the back of this article. Reading anything of his soon shows you that, like the OP, being personally rude is about the level of his argument - as it seems to be of some who have agreed with his nastiness on this thread.

trisher Sun 17-Dec-17 12:08:00

Thanks Wmkf I think it is so interesting to look at how things once were. There is a lot made of how much money people get now, but in the past there was less money and more support in different ways, that's all gone now.

Anniebach Sun 17-Dec-17 13:13:48

Was x amount included for weekly savings for Christmas Trisher?

trisher Sun 17-Dec-17 14:18:54

Sorry Annie your post is completely incomprehensible. Would you like to explain when and what you mean?

Anniebach Sun 17-Dec-17 14:31:32

Sorry Trisher , meant Wilma